how's T-mobile connection in Chicago Area?

Search This thread

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
Thinking about switching to T-mobile in the SW Suburbs of Chicago; I'm on wifi most of the time, so data speed isnt important to me, but, we MUST have good phone call quality in our house.

Is this an issue for anyone in chicago land, or, if we get a phone that is "wifi capable", and we have a fast,strong, wifi network in our house, does this become a non issue?
We had ATT, which was no problem in the house, and recently switched to Sprint, with the hopes of a stong "Spark Network" here; well, one of our phones in Spark compatible, and works fine, but the other 2 phones are HTC One's, not spark "compatible", and have poor phone call quality and reception in the house. We are waiting on an AirRave front Sprint, but, if that doesnt work, we're ready to go to T-Mobile..

Sorry for this weird question here, but, I trust my buds on XDA to give a real report on stuff like this, NOT the people from T-Mobile

Thanks!:good:

safeplayer22

Jan 23, 2009
New York
Sorry not from Chicago.
But I can say if you get a phone that can do wifi-calling (most new T-mobile branded phone should do this), then you wouldn't have any problem at all with phone calls.

Reactions: wase4711

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
thanks, thats what I have heard now from all tmobile users..hard to believe every carrier doesnt offer wifi calling.
It would eliminate all complaints about bad call quality.

darekz

Signal strength may change just within few blocks radius. Personally in Long Island I can go from full signal with great lte connection to one bar and crawling lte within quarter of the mile. This is reason why I limit my Note to use 4g network or it is constantly looking for lte and kills battery very fast.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
You should check out the coverage maps add complied by Open Signal and Sensorly.

It shows user collected data in your area showing actual user device reception and speed.

FYI. Don't get me wrong, I love wifi calling. It is *great* in a lot of situations. I've had people ask how I am getting texts and getting calls in the bowels of large buildings when they have no service. Love it.

One limitation of the service is that if you leave the wifi coverage area you will obviously lose connection to the wifi calling. Not a big deal if you pop back onto the cell network. UNLESS you are on a phone call. Wifi calling can not hand off your active call to a cell tower (yet). You will always drop the call. Not usually the end of the world, but something to understand going into the deal. For this reason I have my wifi calling preferences set to cell network preferred. That way as long as I have signal I can talk via tower, if signal drops it pops into wifi calling.

uqegahy5.jpg

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
You should check out the coverage maps add complied by Open Signal and Sensorly.

It shows user collected data in your area showing actual user device reception and speed.

FYI. Don't get me wrong, I love wifi calling. It is *great* in a lot of situations. I've had people ask how I am getting texts and getting calls in the bowels of large buildings when they have no service. Love it.

One limitation of the service is that if you leave the wifi coverage area you will obviously lose connection to the wifi calling. Not a big deal if you pop back onto the cell network. UNLESS you are on a phone call. Wifi calling can not hand off your active call to a cell tower (yet). You will always drop the call. Not usually the end of the world, but something to understand going into the deal. For this reason I have my wifi calling preferences set to cell network preferred. That way as long as I have signal I can talk via tower, if signal drops it pops into wifi calling.

uqegahy5.jpg

thanks, that is a GREAT tip!!:good::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

uqegahy5.jpg

Sorry not from Chicago.
    But I can say if you get a phone that can do wifi-calling (most new T-mobile branded phone should do this), then you wouldn't have any problem at all with phone calls.
    You'll have 4G or LTE pretty much anywhere in Chicagoland

Sent from the KitKat Galaxy