UPDATE: 60 fps Achieved!! 4.3

Search This thread

RotaryXperiment7

May 31, 2010
I will test it. Lemme try and install

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

just did a small clip. less then 5 seconds,. bitrate is 20 mbs but still 30 fps. 1080p

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I would still stick with the Note 3 camera for now. It's still being very buggy. It looks like there are definitely some other mods that need to be done other than just the apk. I get frame drops in the logs and every now and then it throws and error that "the device might be doing too much" and drops 40+ frames.

Currently all I did to the apk was editing a smali file. Then a couple reboots and let it settle for a few minutes. I just need to figure out the frame drops.

Obviously they were smali edits :p

And about the dropped frames, i get those in the log with regular apps. its something to do with frames drawing in the UI of the app nothing with the actual recording. As you can see, the tag is "Choreographer" and it comes up quite a bit and on my TF300T. This may help

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Thank! That is exactly what the logs were showing. Not sure if that made things easier or more difficult. Now I have to track down another culprit for the drop in frames. You think maybe some sort of buffer? Since the camera doesn't write video directly to memory.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
I will test it. Lemme try and install

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

just did a small clip. less then 5 seconds,. bitrate is 20 mbs but still 30 fps. 1080p

You might have to try it a few times after you let it sit for a while. I have the same issue, mostly with 720p.

RotaryXperiment7

May 31, 2010
I would still stick with the Note 3 camera for now. It's still being very buggy. It looks like there are definitely some other mods that need to be done other than just the apk. I get frame drops in the logs and every now and then it throws and error that "the device might be doing too much" and drops 40+ frames.

Currently all I did to the apk was editing a smali file. Then a couple reboots and let it settle for a few minutes. I just need to figure out the frame drops.

Depends on what method you like. The easiest it to use a file explorer (root explorer or another one). Mount the /system as rw and replace your current samsungcamera2.apk, then change the permissions to rw-r-r. Make sure to backup your current one of course. Also remember, this is for testing so there will be issues. Logs and feedback would be great too.

You might have to try it a few times after you let it sit for a while. I have the same issue, mostly with 720p.

meaning leaving the phone just sit there on before i open camera?

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Well just don't use the camera for a while. Not sure if it really helps but letting things "settle" does seem to help. You know us tech people and our crazy superstitions.

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
I can do that. How do I log and send to you?

You can use adb to do it, I think you use monitor.bat - adb logcat still works though.

The super easy method is to just use aLogcat or another similar app. Open the camera and use it then save the log. Sending it to me you can do in a PM. You can just post it in the thread also but I know some people get concerned about privacy (a logcat shouldn't have any super private info in it).

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
Just remembered, monitor.bat is for debugging.

I think the correct way to get it with adb is:
cd c:/path/to/platform-tools
adb logcat -f

That will save the log to whatever filename you choose. Don't include the

Been a while since I've used that method. If you're using Linux, it should be the same though your path will be different.

Edit: I wanted to make sure I tell everyone that tests this and sends logs; Thank you. I know its a waiting game and I appreciate your patience and help with this. I'm still new to this and its a learning process to get this kind of a mod working - the bit rates were easy. It would be great to live chat with someone that can trade ideas/solutions with me if anyone is up for that.

Sent from inside the matrix

Last edited:

milo0125

Jan 9, 2013
I've noticed that if you lower the cpu clock speed to 1350, the fps drops to 29.93, but if you record at clock speed 1566, the camera records @60fps.

Last edited:

milo0125

Jan 9, 2013
That's interesting. What clock speed do you normally use?
I'm using the ktoonsez 4.3TW kernel
Hyperdrive rom clocked at 1566. I clocked it to 1350 and tested the camera mod , but i couldn't record it @ 60fps. So I switched back to 1566 and it worked fine. Maybe speed can be an issue too?

Last edited:

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park
I'm using the ktoonsez 4.3TW kernel
Hyperdrive rom clocked at 1566. I clocked it to 1350 and tested the camera mod , but i couldn't record it @ 60fps. So I switched back to 1566 and it worked fine. Maybe speed can be an issue too?
Its possible but I it really depends on what most people are setting their clock speed to. A lot of people do what you do and underclock for longer battery life (though that's still up for debate in a few threads). I set mine to 2.16 with Chronic and it'll record for about 10 seconds.

I'll flash ktoonsez and see how it plays with the mod.

Sent from inside the matrix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So after a decompile I was sifting through the smali file and noticed something. First, some super odd 3K recording resolution - this is in the file dealing strictly with recording video so no, its not for still captures. Anyone have thoughts/input on this?

Also, we can record at 60 fps in 1080p. Albeit only at 14mbps (yeah, so I'm going to modify that :D) but how great is that?! Now people can stop asking for it. Before anyone asks - I have no idea if this carries to 4.4 but I'm sure it does.

If anyone wants proof and doesn't want to decompile the apk on their own - say so here and I'll post the smali.

UPDATE:
    Well I did it. Haven't done any extensive testing but I managed to record two videos without any issues. There may be issues so as always - be careful. I tested this on Wicked v10, it should work on any 4.3 TW ROM but only time will tell. I need to add that so far its limited to about 10 seconds. Past that it drops to 30 again, not sure why yet.

This is my modified camera. What does that mean? Recording bit rates are higher (both audio and video, 1080 and 720). Video records at 60 fps (keep reading if you don't know why that matters).

Bit rates:
    1080p: 20 mbps @ 60fps

720p: 17 mbps @ 60fps

Audio: 320 kbps @ 48 KHz

For those that don't understand why 60 frames per second matters it really comes down to quality. For analyzing videos, editing them, capturing frames for a still shot, even general viewing. It allows you to slow a video down (same concept as those super slow motion cameras on TV). Videos just seem more fluid overall also, when played at normal speed.

I'm sure someone can elaborate on the above better than myself.

This is just the apk. Not a CWM installer package. So you'll have to install it manually. One you replace the stock SamsungCamera2.apk you'll have to reboot. Please be mindful of how large these video files will get. Let me know if there are any bugs (I'm sure there will be a few).

Here's the link. It's on my Google Drive.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3mIOQ0TV63cDJJN0ltdGRXM0k/edit?usp=sharing
    It must be kernel related, I say this because some custom kernels on this very forum can't even handle the slow motion option in the camera. They crash your phone and make it reboot. BUT the stock kernel can do it? So maybe some kernel tweaking will get the fps to 60:confused:

DONE! :fingers-crossed: Let's just hope it works for the rest of you :D
    So I modded the camera to record 1080p and 720p both at 60fps on the standard settings. Both with higher bit rates for audio and video. So far it installs and works flawless. Can't say much for recording since it's nighttime and I'm not about to disturb my pregnant wife :eek:

Will update tomorrow with results. If it all looks good I'll update with a test version in the themes and mods section.

Any update?

Not yet. I can't get it to work at 60 fps only editing the apk. Not giving up though, I just had to take a break because of no sleep. My pregnant wife keeps me up tossing and turning.

I doubt the kernel is limiting the frame rate, or if that's even something that would be in a kernel. I don't touch those - I think I'm far too green for that and have no idea where I would start.

I'm off today so I'll have a chance to mess around with it some more and hopefully have something for you to test that does more than say "recording failed".