[ROOT] Howto root easily your Gen8 device [fw 2.0.71 - 2.4.83] + R/W FILESYSTEM

Search This thread

bthoven

Jun 28, 2008
Bangkok
Hi,

Do I need to extract the rar file under root previlege? or I can extract it on my Ubuntu or Winxp gui?

I have extracted it with Winxp, but after copying it to A70-REC in Ubuntu, reboot Dev. Edition, it stays at Archos splash scrren and go no where.

Update: only extracted under Unix root works. Thanks. Very happy with the rooted Archie 70. Install Hot reboot too.

carlochiefsg

Dec 31, 2010
works well on my A70 250GB. Installed ADW launcher + SetCPU, it works like a charm. No laggy issue, BT and Wireless connection runs well too.

xquz

Jun 27, 2008
is it just me, or is usb not working?

can't connect to my pcs...

edit:

nevermind, its working after a reboot... sorry :p

thanks for this root method!

Last edited:

keebz

Oct 9, 2010
Cleveland,OH
Guys im on Firmware 2.1.3 and i followed this guide step by step, after finishing up with the flashing of the kernel my system has gone in to a bootloop. I can boot into into recovery menu but other than that, i can't boot into the OS. Any ideas where i went wrong ?

dervari

Sep 2, 2009
I need to have two files "permanently" changed so I can tether to my 'berry. If I saved them on the internal 8gb flash, could I put a routine in init.rc to copy them to the proper location in /system/bin and /system/etc/ppp/peers upon boot?

Also, if I save the Urik SD card and kernel files, could i revert back if need be?

uacolon

Aug 15, 2007
Pearland
Overclock able version?

Do you have an over clockable version of the 2.103 Kernel?
I have tried one from the threads but the archos just loops the main boot screen.

thanks.

umberto.sulla

Dec 30, 2010
Is there an easy way to delete Telephony and Phone.apk from /system/apps with this type of root?
Since every time I reboot they are still there... is there a simple script to disable them from loading?

Thank you

wdl1908

Dec 18, 2010
Is there an easy way to delete Telephony and Phone.apk from /system/apps with this type of root?
Since every time I reboot they are still there... is there a simple script to disable them from loading?

As I explained in the other thread deleting them will probably result in a Force-Close of a lot of applications that expect contact and telephony functions.

Even if you tried to prevent those apps from starting they will probably start-up anyway when an app needs the functionality that Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk provide.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Can i revert back to stock rom for warranty purpose just in case? Or is this pretty much irreversible.

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
Can i revert back to stock rom for warranty purpose just in case? Or is this pretty much irreversible.

Accordingly to Archos your device get's watermarked (don't know what, where or how) when you install SDE, thus if you brick your device by for example overclocking they won't fix it.
of course you can uninstall the SDE, completely reformat the device and it'll be like fresh (but still watermarked).

you always can revert to stock firmware (with SDE installed or removed, doesn't matter)

uacolon

Aug 15, 2007
Pearland
Isn't SetCPU good enough?

Yes it's what I am using to try to OC but it will not let me go past 1ghz.
And to be honest I haven't tried setting them manually.
I just choose the recommended option of auto detect and that just goes up to 1ghz

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello community

First of all, thanks to dogmaphobia for his initial work (click for fw 2.0.71)

Don't forget: I'm not responsible for anything ;)
    Installing SDE or rooting your Archos device in any way may or definitly will void your warranty. You can find more information about it on the Archos website: link

Now here we go, you need four things:
    1. An Archos Gen8 device (e.g. A101IT)
    2. Archos Firmware
      - 2.1.02: [Archos server]
      - 2.1.03: [Archos server, Mirror #1]
      - 2.1.04: [Archos server, Mirror #1]
      - 2.1.08: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.20: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.26: [Archos server]
      - 2.3.81: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.19: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.65: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.80: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.81: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.82: [Archos server]
      - 2.4.83: [Archos server]
    3. Archos SDE
      - [Archos server], [Mirror #1]
    4. Rooted initramfs + kernel
      - [fw 2.0.71 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.02]
      - [fw 2.1.02 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.03]
      - [fw 2.1.03 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.04]
      - [fw 2.1.04 +rw]
      - [fw 2.1.08]
      - [fw 2.1.08 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.20]
      - [fw 2.3.20 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.26]
      - [fw 2.3.26 +rw]
      - [fw 2.3.81]
      - [fw 2.3.81 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.19]
      - [fw 2.4.19 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.65]
      - [fw 2.4.65 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.80]
      - [fw 2.4.80 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.81]
      - [fw 2.4.81 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.82]
      - [fw 2.4.82 +rw]
      - [fw 2.4.83]
      - [fw 2.4.83 +rw]

*: +rw = permanent root, changes to filesystem will be stored in /dev/mmcblk0p2. it has ~30 megabytes free, this should be sufficient for most changes and scripts.
    BE CAREFULLY: if you delete or corrupt important system files and aren't able to boot anymore, you have to flash the "non-rw" root kernel+initramfs, go to /mnt/system/unionfs and remove the changes.

Then you have to the following:
    1. Install SDE (you only have to do this only once, it will even survive a full reformat)
      • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
      • choose "Update Firmware"
      • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
      • upload the SDE firmware file to your device
      • safely disconnect the USB connection
      • press ok on Archos device
      • reboot
    2. Install android firmware
      • choose "Update Firmware"
      • connect your Archos device by usb to your computer
      • upload the Android firmware file to your device
      • reboot
    3. Install the custom kernel + initramfs
      • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
      • choose "Flash Kernel and Initramfs"
      • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
      • upload zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to your device
      • reboot and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
      • choose "Developer Edition"
      now you have temporary root (you always have to boot "Developer Edition" to get root again)
    4. (optional!) permanent root
      thus it will boot always the custom kernel (to revert, reinstall Android firmware)
      • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
      • choose "Remove Android Kernel"
      • reboot

For Updates:
    Just go like this:
    @Techngro
    I was in the same situation as you are: 2.1.03 and permanent root.
    Then did a firmware upgrade from the rescue menu, flashed the new kernel and initramfs and removed again the stock android kernel --> working :)

If it says "update failed" the aos file might be corrupt

Have fun! :D ;)

Big thanks to jfmcbrayer for helping me out!

Links for developers:
    FINALLY!

Thanks to jfmcbrayer (!!!), we can provide you an update for 2.4.81!
    Have a look in the first posting for links and howto update. :cool:

All credit to Chulri for this; I just followed the instructions written on the nice drool-proof paper.
    root (+/-rw) for fw 2.4.19 is online (see first posting) and I'm gonna be offline for two weeks (vacation ;))
    Ok, nice to know ;)

UPDATE: 2.1.08 (+rw) firmware root updates in start posting :cool:
    @bandit01 stfu, impatient little troll! :rolleyes:

@everyone except bandit01: rooting for fw 2.3.81 is available! see start post or project website for download links