[Q] Still no access to internal phone via usb

Search This thread

onedayiwill23

Feb 13, 2013
Hi all,

To start with, I'm in India and tried to unlock my Verizon S3.. at first, got it rooted, tried to unlock, didn't work and it caused a bunch of connection problems, etc. with the phone, so I did a factory reset, thinking it would wipe the problems I was having.
Lost some files I forgot were on my internal memory I needed, so I wanted to do a file recovery. During this process, I re-downloaded the drivers for the S3 I needed and then found that my phone would connect, but wouldn't connect as a driver and only as a media source. So the recovery software can't find the device to inspect. Even when I debugged, it would only register as a bootloader and wouldn't recognize it as anything more.

I'm trying to figure out what other steps I need to take to either remove something that I tampered with before the factory reset, or if I need to install something new to configure my device to register as a driver, or do something else I can't figure out?
And I'm still trying to recover those files from before the factory reset too.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can explain in more detail if needed.

Thanks for all the help!

letinsh

Jun 14, 2010
You may be out of luck. When google went to Android 4.x, they switched to the MTP protocol which mounts the phone to the computer as a media device, rather than a mass storage device (as in previous versions of Android). As far as I can tell, devs have only been able to figure out how to get the external SD card to be seen as mass storage (and that's built into a rom, not a stand alone mod, I believe).

Is there any file recovery software/app available for Android that you can install directly on the phone, rather than needing to run it from a computer?

onedayiwill23

Feb 13, 2013
Well, that's not a good sign. But I will check into the direct software to the phone and let you know I find anything.
Thanks for the tip!

You may be out of luck. When google went to Android 4.x, they switched to the MTP protocol which mounts the phone to the computer as a media device, rather than a mass storage device (as in previous versions of Android). As far as I can tell, devs have only been able to figure out how to get the external SD card to be seen as mass storage (and that's built into a rom, not a stand alone mod, I believe).

Is there any file recovery software/app available for Android that you can install directly on the phone, rather than needing to run it from a computer?