Build.prop

Search This thread

88gt

Sep 30, 2010
OK, guys/gals,

I was stupid last night and changed my build.prop file to build.prop.bak, before I replaced the .bak file with my updated one my phone rebooted. Obviously now when I boot the phone it goes to a black screen and I can't do anything with it. I can get into stock recovery and tried a factory reset, but that didn't do anything except erase my data. I tried doing fastboot but every time I try to re-write my system partition it fails. I can do every other partition just not system. I tried reflashing the OTA kitkat with adb but again it can't fins the build.prop file.

So my question is am I screwed or is there a fix that I'm missing?

Thank for any help

BTW... this is for my RAZR HD maxx, not on the razr I am sending this from.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Free mobile app

billycar11

OK, guys/gals,

I was stupid last night and changed my build.prop file to build.prop.bak, before I replaced the .bak file with my updated one my phone rebooted. Obviously now when I boot the phone it goes to a black screen and I can't do anything with it. I can get into stock recovery and tried a factory reset, but that didn't do anything except erase my data. I tried doing fastboot but every time I try to re-write my system partition it fails. I can do every other partition just not system. I tried reflashing the OTA kitkat with adb but again it can't fins the build.prop file.

Thank for any help

Rsd with the keep data scrip from
from @SamuriHL

iBolski

OK, guys/gals,

Thank for any help

Since you already wiped data, you might as well just do a full FXD install with Kit Kat, if you weren't on it. You might be flashing the incorrect image and that could be causing the issue with system.

If you weren't on Kit Kat, you might as well just go full Kit Kat since you can root it and unlock the bootloader (if you aren't unlocked).

Other possible reasons why it's failing are as follows:

1. Bad USB cable - If you have the original cable, try it. Otherwise, swap out cables and try again.
  2. Drivers are out-of-date. Update your drivers.
  3. Are you using a USB 2.0 port? Don't be hooked up to USB 3.0.
  4. Windows 8 has been known to cause issues, so if that's what you are on, you might want to try Windows 7 or earlier. If on Mac, I can't help you there as I'm not familiar with Mac.

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
I concur. Use my RSD Script Generator to generate scripts for the 183 KK FXZ, flash with KEEP DATA, root with towel root, unlock with motoapocalypse. Then you can downgrade back to JB (if desired) by generating scripts for 9.30.1 FXZ, and flashing the UNIVERSAL script. Done with unlocked. ;)

Last edited:

88gt

Sep 30, 2010
I was on kitkat rooted. I did try the FULL.XML file from samurai, however red doesn't recognize my phone. I used fastboot through command prompt to flash everything except system partition. It won't let me flash, format it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am using windows 7 on usb 2 with 2 different factory razr hd cables, with samurai's info from another forum.

Josh

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
System is a LARGE partition so it sounds like a cable/port/driver issue if it's failing to send it properly. I assume you're using motofastboot.exe?

Reactions: 88gt

88gt

Sep 30, 2010
System is a LARGE partition so it sounds like a cable/port/driver issue if it's failing to send it properly. I assume you're using motofastboot.exe?

No. I am not. That's probably dummy move #2 I was using fastboot from the sdk... when I get home I'll try motofastboot.

Thanks

Josh

88gt

Sep 30, 2010
Success!!

Thanks SamuriHl, I have been a follower of yours since the Bionic, and House of Bionic. I am not a noob by any means however, every so often I need a little reminding. Thanks for putting me in the right direction. The Phone is fully functional again.

Josh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh yea you have to use motofastboot else system will indeed fail. That should fix you up. Sweet.