[KERNEL] Basic with a Twist SGS4G KJ6 1.1.3

Search This thread

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Can you stick a 1.5 ghz in the overclock just for the hell of it and maybe some intermediate levels like 1150 1250 etc or something like that?

1.5 Ghz - NO! I thinks even 1.4 is a little too much. It's probably OK for short bursts but if constantly run at that speed somebody may fry the CPU. The phone is freakishly fast even at 1.3, why more?

50 Mhz steps will not make much difference. I thought about adding 1.1 Ghz so governors will use this one first instead of jumping to higher frequencies. Should I do it?

Reactions: daothanhduy1996

turtlepa

Jun 28, 2011
The kernel is already undervolted so lowering the undervolt setting even more is too much for your specific phone. Each phone is slightly different and can handle setting differently.

I slightly disagree. I think my phone may be a bit more flexible with uv oc etc, but not enough where i couldnt safely lower even more. i want to switch back to tegrak and use dsextons original values from his post with his build.prop. They are hundreds of mAh lower. I usually add 25 onto all of his values (not the kernel defaults) since they are so low, but then my phone is on for 2 days minimum w/o recharge. the set values in this kernel he made them UV yes, but the values are not enough to cause any instability voltage wise whatsoever. Just what i have tried. For 1ghz my phone uses 1100 mah or something. Its 1300mAh i think in kernel, 25mAh is not so insane a drop.

Hrm i didnt read dao comment completely right. I cant believe u have reboots at 25 more under. Search for dexstons values and use tegrak to put them in (paid). then add 50 to each value, worth a shot. Actually ill test it out for u as i wasnt on this kernel when i uv i was on rc3 by bryan. Ill report back
Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

Last edited:

eollie

Mar 30, 2011
Hrm i didnt read dao comment completely right. I cant believe u have reboots at 25 more under. Search for dexstons values and use tegrak to put them in (paid). then add 50 to each value, worth a shot. Actually ill test it out for u as i wasnt on this kernel when i uv i was on rc3 by bryan. Ill report back

Please read AntonX's instructions on how to properly use Tegrak on this kernel.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25462529&postcount=4

He is recommending setcpu or voltage control. If you try to OC/UV this the way you would the kernels without native oc/uv turned on you will have issues TRUST ME. I flashed the kernel with oc/uv natively turned on and didnt realize it and did the typical oc/uv settings and had all kinds of issues.

xaocon

Sep 27, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I slightly disagree. I think my phone may be a bit more flexible with uv oc etc, but not enough where i couldnt safely lower even more. i want to switch back to tegrak and use dsextons original values from his post with his build.prop. They are hundreds of mAh lower. I usually add 25 onto all of his values (not the kernel defaults) since they are so low, but then my phone is on for 2 days minimum w/o recharge. the set values in this kernel he made them UV yes, but the values are not enough to cause any instability voltage wise whatsoever. Just what i have tried. For 1ghz my phone uses 1100 mah or something. Its 1300mAh i think in kernel, 25mAh is not so insane a drop.

agreed. most of my speeds are -75 to -100 mAh below stock. runs great. i may be able to go farther but I haven't tried.

nazcalito

May 4, 2011
San Francisco
re: NO 1500 -- My phone is not.presently stable at 1500 but I figure that some 4g phones got a better batch of CPU s and might be. Even so, Antonx's cautiousness paid off with this kernel as it's very stable.

Last edited:

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
Hi AntonX

Video recording audio distortion is supposedly related to some audioautogain that is implemented in the kernel (see thread from SGS i9000) :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=896826

Can you look into it or maybe contact Supercurio on this ?
On my opinion this is a crucial issue for our device.

Thanks !!!

P.S - I posted this on the Q&A forum : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25671136&postcount=9
but I think it is important enough to raise the flag high and above. Is there something I can do to help analyze this ?

Last edited:

turtlepa

Jun 28, 2011
Please read AntonX's instructions on how to properly use Tegrak on this kernel.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25462529&postcount=4

He is recommending setcpu or voltage control. If you try to OC/UV this the way you would the kernels without native oc/uv turned on you will have issues TRUST ME. I flashed the kernel with oc/uv natively turned on and didnt realize it and did the typical oc/uv settings and had all kinds of issues.

I was just explaining on how i was getting great battery with tegrak hence why i switched amd disagreed that yhis kernels values arent that low

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
itzik2sh ,

The Recording Presets in Voodoo actually work, but to the limit. If you set it to Loud Environment, the recorded level drops quite a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't make the sound much better. I guess that's the best Supercuirio could do, and I see that he did try to adjust the gains. If the microphone itself is distorting there's nothing can be done.

I haven't changed anything that would affect memory, except added some stuff to the kernel (governors, swap support). The additions were not that big, maybe about 10KB. You didn't use any different lowmemorykiller settings in init.d or anything like that? What memory are you checking, Andorid? It can be misleading, Android tries to stuff as much as it needs into memory. Check /proc/meminfo, MemTotal, that's how much memory is left to the system. Mine reads 330916 kB.

Reactions: itzik2sh

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
I made another TEST version, not yet ready for OP, but you can try.

- Extended frequency table with 600MHz, 900Mhz, 1.1Ghz frequencies.

WARNING!!! If you have set UV values already, check them! The frequency indices have shifted so your table needs to be adjusted.

- Small tuning of smartass2 governnor to make it slightly more battery friendly.

- Small change to Voodoo Sound, it's possible I was applying recording presets in the wrong place and they were overwritten (maybe partially) with Samsung values.

Note: The new frequencies may or may not be used by all governors. For example smartass2 ramps up in 200Mhz steps so it will most probably pass 900Mhz and 1.1Ghz all the time. It can hit them on the way back (it ramps down in 300Mhz steps) but it depends on the maximum OC frequency you set. You can play with smartass parameters in sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/smartass.

WARNING: This version DOES NOT work with Tegrak Overclock. Don't even try.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74713966/sms-T959V-KJ6-antsvx.v1.1rc3.test1.zip

Last edited:

itzik2sh

Sep 5, 2011
itzik2sh ,

The Recording Presets in Voodoo actually work, but to the limit. If you set it to Loud Environment, the recorded level drops quite a bit. Unfortunately it doesn't make the sound much better. I guess that's the best Supercuirio could do, and I see that he did try to adjust the gains. If the microphone itself is distorting there's nothing can be done.

I haven't changed anything that would affect memory, except added some stuff to the kernel (governors, swap support). The additions were not that big, maybe about 10KB. You didn't use any different lowmemorykiller settings in init.d or anything like that? What memory are you checking, Andorid? It can be misleading, Android tries to stuff as much as it needs into memory. Check /proc/meminfo, MemTotal, that's how much memory is left to the system. Mine reads 330916 kB.

Hi AntonX

Thanks for the quick reply.
I haven't used the voodoo sound "loud env" recording preset. I will test that.
Setting 'HiFi recording' (128x oversampling) didn't change the recording sampling one bit though...still 66kbps, 16khz...

Regarding the memory - I was referring to the free memory I see in Go Launcher EX and to the fact that apps starting to crash due to lack of memory.
I will check the /proc/meminfo, MemTotal and let you know.
Adrenaline shot 14.1 uses this RAM script :

#!/system/bin/sh
# Copyright� 2011 Juwe11
# 13.8.2011 Updated VM values - Thanks to [Kalis] for help
# 18.8.2011 Added values for oom_adj

if [ -e /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj ]; then
echo "0,1,2,4,6,15" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/adj
fi

if [ -e /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree ]; then
echo "2560,4096,6144,12288,14336,18432" > /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree
fi

if [ -e /proc/sys/vm/swappiness ]; then
echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
fi

if [ -e /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure ]; then
echo "50" > /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure
fi

if [ -e /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs ]; then
echo "1000" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs
fi

if [ -e /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs ]; then
echo "2000" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
fi

if [ -e /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio ]; then
echo "45" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
fi

if [ -e /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio ]; then
echo "25" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
fi

Last edited:
Reactions: daothanhduy1996

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Just wanna confirm: DON'T EVER USE TEGRAK WITH THE RC3 (test1) or you'll mess your phone up ^^

Ouch. What happens? With the latest tegrak version? Even if you just set scaling and voltages?
If 600 and 900 really create troubles maybe I should remove them. They seem to be running fine though with SetCPU.

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Hi AntonX
Setting 'HiFi recording' (128x oversampling) didn't change the recording sampling one bit though...still 66kbps, 16khz...
Oversampling will not make any difference. It's all internal, ADC upsample digital signal so all downstream processing is more precise. At the end it's downsampled again. It makes sense for Hi-End systems but not for out crappy microphone.
Setting recording presets - I wonder why you didn't try it before, that's exactly what supercurio did to improve recordings in different environments.

daothanhduy1996

Mar 31, 2012
Hochiminh City
Ouch. What happens? With the latest tegrak version? Even if you just set scaling and voltages?
If 600 and 900 really create troubles maybe I should remove them. They seem to be running fine though with SetCPU.

hih, Idk, I just cleared Tegrak data, forced it to close and uninstalled, then flashed your rc3 test1 and reinstalled Tegrak (ultimate version, latest though :p) and when I chose "load overclock module" and the screen froze and after seconds, the phone rebooted and everything is fine (Tegrak module was unloaded)...seems like 600 and 900 or maybe 1100 not work properly with Tegrak module but honestly, I don't see it like big problem because I still prefer setcpu to Tegrak since I set UV values in setcpu Voltages down to nearly 100 each and everything is still okay (keep watching stability now) so, don't remove them soon AntonX :p

P/s: Sorry that I didn't log it since I have been using Setcpu now ^^

nazcalito

May 4, 2011
San Francisco
Yep, the test version makes tegrak lock up on my phone. Don't know why -- the additions shouldn't have done that. reverted to rc2 and everything is fine.

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Confirmed the Tergak crash with rc3.test1. E-mailed the developers with some logs, maybe they can fix it. If not I'll have to remove some or all intermediate frequencies.

xaocon

Sep 27, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Confirmed the Tergak crash with rc3.test1. E-mailed the developers with some logs, maybe they can fix it. If not I'll have to remove some or all intermediate frequencies.

Is incompatibility with a paid app that does the same thing as free ones important enough to remove good things from the kernel?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Basic with a Twist SGS4G KJ6 Kernel

BML, don't flash if you have partitions converted to MTD.

Use at your own risk, I take no responsibility for anything that may happen to your phone because of this kernel.

This kernel is for those who don't want to be on the very cutting edge (CM7) but rather want stability without sacrificing too many recent features. It is based mostly on Bryan's 0.0.2d commit that supposedly never had problems with silent reboots. I made some changes to the config to bring it even more to the standard Samsung VibrantPlus in terms of hardware settings, but at the same time to optimize it for speed. I will add only tried and true features to this kernel, the ones that other kernel developers have used successfully.

Special thanks to bhundven (Bryan), FBis251, TeamAcid.

Features
    • initramfs from TeamAcid, including CWM5, SuperSU, forced ext4, etc.
    • Usual CIFS, TUN. I didn't include FUSE, if anybody needs it let me know.
    • BLN. Use BLN Control app from market to activate.
    • Voodoo Sound so paid app is not needed. Voodoo Sound app from market is required. Once installed, enable Smart Amplifier, it's the best thing you can do to improve music listening experience with our phone.
    • jhash3 for faster hash calculations. Used widely across the kernel, especially in networking.
    • OC/UV support with extended frequency table. Added 600Mhz, 900Mhz, 1.1Ghz, 1.2 Ghz, 1.3 Ghz, 1.4 Ghz. Use SetCPU or Xan's Voltage Control to enable and control frequency and voltages. Tegrak can be used only with no-OC/UV version.
    • ondemandX and smartassV2 governors. One of these should probably be preferred over stock ondemand. Change with SetCPU or similar.
    • TinyRCU. More lightweight version, it fits better our single CPU system.
    • Swap support, although I don't recommend using it.
    • SIO and BFQ I/O schedulers in addition to noop, deadline, and cfq that we already have.

Install
    Flash with CWM or SGS Kernel Flasher. ODIN version is available only for OC/UV kernel.

Download
    CWM:
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.3 (no OC/UV)
    v1.1.2
    v1.1.2 (no OC/UV)
    ODIN:
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.2

Notes
    * OC/UV version is very conservatively undervolted to -25mV. The preset voltages are still higher than on regular I9000, which has the same CPU. I'm running additional -50mV (total -75mV) for all frequencies without issues, but you may have them, every CPU is different!
    * It is recommended to create a CWM recovery file before modifying voltages. This option is available in both SetCPU and VoltageControl.
    * OC-ing to 1.4 Ghz is not recommended, especially for extended periods of time.
    * Voodoo ext4 conversion, or "lagfix", is enabled and forced by default. There is not way and no need to go back to RFS.

Source
    www.github.com/AntonX

Changelog

CWM 5.0.2.8 (blue) in initramfs
    Disabled a little more of Samsung debugging

Minor changes to initramfs voodoo extension scripts
    More neutral boot logo

Initramfs script will not force su update
    Couple of small changes

1.1rc2
    Few small changes

1.1rc1
    Added BFQ and SIO I/O schedulers
    Switched to TinyRCU
    Added Swap support
    Small change to Vibetonz

1.0b5
    Some changes to OC/UV
    Better BLN fix
    Increased write timeout for bad SDHC cards
    Added ondemandX and smartassV2 governors
    Renamed the title, it's becoming less and less Basic...

1.0b4
    Added native OC/UV support

1.0b3
    Minor BLN changes
    Replaced jhash.h with jhash3 code
    Updated initramfs with SuperSU 0.88

1.0b2
    Added BLN, first attempt

1.0b1
    Original release
    what are the best setting to get the most battery life??

Turn it off.
    I've decided to keep BLN. I looked at the code, didn't find anything that could cause troubles if BLN if not used. Found the issue with "I2C write error", there were attempted writes to unpowered controller, so I fixed it. Removed some unnecessary debug tracings too.

Updated jhash to faster jhash3, there can be slight performance boost for data, but probably not easily noticeable.

Updated initramfs to latest SuperSU. Couldn't figure out how to easily update busybox to 1.20 (it needs to have bunch of links created), any help?

OP updated to 1.0b3.

Will try to post code on github today.

EDIT: Added source code link to OP. Unfortunately because I used a little unorthodox method of getting the old Bryan's commit, I cannot easily and safely attach my modified code to it anymore. So the kernel code it posted as a new repo. If somebody needs to know exactly what's changed, let me know and I'll point to correct files. I was able to fork from the initramfs repo though, there were not too many of my changes.
    Updated OP to version 1.1 rc1 with few more featured for completeness.

Added two I/O schedulers, SIO and BFQ. You don't have to use them, especially if you don't exactly know what they are.

Added native swap support (somebody asked), but I don't recommend ever using it. They system will become too unresponsive with it. Native swap doesn't go well with Android memory management, it doesn't work well with slow flash drives, plus you trash your SD card a lot sooner.

Switched config to smaller faster TinyRCU, seems to be a logical change for one CPU systems.

Things that didn't make to the kernel:
    Tiny Preempt RCU - it will not make the phone any faster, and it seems that some kernel devs have problems with it.
    zRam (compcache) - I actually added it, it kind of worked, but was sometimes crashing the phone during initialization. It's probably not a good thing to have on our phone anyway. So I took it away.

Unless somebody comes with an idea what else to add to the kernel, I'm going to freeze the changes, wait few days for bug reports, and name it a release.
    Updated OP to 1.1.0. Didn't see anything wrong with it over last few days, so let's call it a stable release and go from here.

Small change to VoodooSound to remove ADC oversampling when doing VOIP and recognition. Probably really unnecessary, just a little paranoia.

Looked at Vibetonz again, but didn't find anything wrong. Looks like MIUI knows about it, tries to use it, but does it incorrectly.

Removed forced superuser update.

If you used a OC/UV version prior to a test release that introduced extra frequencies (600, 900, 1100), review and update your voltage table!