Clockwork recovery without root

Search This thread

Ceasare

Dec 17, 2010
Fort Worth
In theory, can i flash clockwork to my.unrooted phone and then flash roms via the.sd card?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

VonEsch

Dec 31, 2010
Ventura, CA
Root isn't required for flashing custom recovery, since it is flashed either through Odin or ADB. I believe any ROM you flash short of the leak will come pre rooted. If you wanted to I guess you could uninstall busy box and super user, but I don't know what would happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Last edited:

wish777

Jan 24, 2012
Cleveland
OnePlus 6T
You need root ability to use the functions within custom roms....I think if you did that,you would end up having a million errors...lol...are you just curious to see if its possible?...or actually wanting to try this?...I wouldn't recommend it...The process of rooting is very easy and unrooting is just as equal....

Last edited:

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
You need root ability to use the functions within custom roms....I think if you did that,you would end up having a million errors...lol...are you just curious to see if its possible?...or actually wanting to try this?...I wouldn't recommend it...The process of rooting is very easy and unrooting is just as equal....
lmao.... Roms are prerooted, all of it is included in the zip. and if it ain't i wouldn't flash anything made by that "dev"
Root isn't required for flashing custom recovery, since it is flashed either through Odin or ADB. I believe any ROM you flash short of the leak will come pre rooted. If you wanted to I guess you could uninstall busy box and super user, but I don't know what would happen
You don't need root to flash cwm with Odin, you do however need root to push cwm with adb.

Once you have cwm, all you need to do is wipe and flash the ROM. Like i said above, the ROM is rooted, so when you boot up you'll have root.

The only reason to root before flashing is if you wanted to use titanium backup.

Last edited:

VonEsch

Dec 31, 2010
Ventura, CA
Didn't know that, I avoid ADB for fear of typos, good information to know though, thanks.

Ceasare

Dec 17, 2010
Fort Worth
Thus, i can use heimdall and flash clockwork, wipe and install a rom? Noob here...just wanted to simplify...THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lmao.... Roms are prerooted, all of it is included in the zip. and if it ain't i wouldn't flash anything made by that "dev"
    You don't need root to flash cwm with Odin, you do however need root to push cwm with adb.

Once you have cwm, all you need to do is wipe and flash the ROM. Like i said above, the ROM is rooted, so when you boot up you'll have root.

The only reason to root before flashing is if you wanted to use titanium backup.
    Didn't know that, I avoid ADB for fear of typos, good information to know though, thanks.

Typos dont work haven't you ever used a command line before?
    Typos dont work haven't you ever used a command line before?

a nice dd with wrong parameters easily hard-bricks your phone... (ask dsmitty)