[Guide] OTA & ROOT GUIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
WELCOME TO THE VERIZON NOTE 3 GUIDE FOR ROOTING, USING ODIN & UPDATING TO THE LATEST OTA

****HOW TO UPGRADE TO LEAKED 4.4.2 KITKAT BUILD****

@Hashcode has explained this very well here - do read it and recognize how neat this opportunity is for us.

That being said, there are some special instructions for utilizing this leak. They are pretty simple and require no special tools or procedures most people around here haven't already used at some point, see below.

1) Start from any Rooted 4.3 MJE Rom (including Stock) with Safestrap 3.65 installed
2) Make any necessary Titanium Backups, etc
3) Reboot to SafeStrap Recovery - I'd recommend making a backup of your 4.3 setup at this point, just in case.
4) Wipe Data & Caches - This is the wipe that is queued up for you immediately upon entering wipe menu in SS - When finished hit "home" button in SS
5) Click Install and flash either the Deodex or Odexed version of the NC2 4.4.2 leak
6) DO NOT CLICK REBOOT SYSTEM WHEN FINISHED - Instead, hit the "home" button in SS and click the main menu Reboot option.
7) Click Reboot to Download mode & follow typical Odin procedure (instructions below) to flash the 4.4.2 Firmware tar
8) Boot into Stock 4.4.2 and download Safestrap 3.72 built specifically for KitKat
9) Boot to SS 3.72 - I'd recommend making a backup at this point as well
10) Click thanks over on Beans thread and Hashcode's SafeStrap thread & ENJOY!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

***OLD INFO***UPDATE TO LATEST OTA (MJE) ***OLD INFO***

METHOD 1 - BACK TO MJ7 & ACCEPT OTA:

1) Download and MD5 check the Tar (file removed).

2) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

3) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJ7 stock OTA firmware.

4) Once on this firmware you can navigate to Software Update via Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Once you've tapped this you'll see an option to either check for updates or download now/later. Select whichever option you have to update and wait for the file to download. You'll then be prompted to install now or wait. Install and it will automatically take over and install the latest OTA Firmware build ending in MJE. This will install the latest software, firmware, modem and kernel. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

METHOD 2 - STRAIGHT TO MJE:

1) Download and MD5 check the Zipped Tar (file removed).

2) Navigate to the MJE file on your PC. Right click it and hover over "7-Zip," on the pop-out menu select "Extract Here." (Nearly any archiving software will appear in this right-click menu) It will decompress the tar file we need and you'll be ready to continue. This process will not work until you've decompressed the zip file!

3) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

4) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJE stock OTA firmware. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

****DISCLAIMER: PROCEEDING & ROOTING YOUR DEVICE IS YOUR CHOICE - USING THE FOLLOWING ROOT TECHNIQUE(S) IS, AS ALWAYS, AT YOUR OWN RISK - FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU'LL BE FINE.****

****HOW TO ROOT 4.4.x KITKAT BUILDS FOR VERIZON NOTE 3****

There is an amazingly easy tool called "towel root" that is an application you install like any other side loaded app - once it's installed it's one click and you're rooted...can't ask for it to be much easier than that!

Get towel root here or Get more info here

***OLD INFO***HOW TO ROOT 4.3 JELLYBEAN BUILDS FOR VERIZON NOTE 3***OLD INFO***

There are two known methods to root MJ7 & MJE. I will not discuss how to root MI9 because there's no benefit whatsoever to remaining on that original build. Nothing was lost moving to MJ7 or MJE so if you want to be rooted I'd recommend moving on up to a later build.

Both Root methods are essentially "One-Click" applications produced by people or companies not using XDA as their methods of distribution. They are very simple and easy to use tools that are installed on your PC and guide you step-by-step through the process via the computer program. The one I recommend using is called "Kingo." There is also one called "vRoot" but, since I have no experience using it nor have any data on others successfully using it, I'll always recommend Kingo. Because they don't post these to XDA, I cannot post links to the source files. This is at the moderators and administrators of XDA's request. DON'T ask for the direct link(s) and NO posting them - they will be flagged down and moderators will haunt your dreams.

Once you've downloaded the files...Google is your friend ;)...install them and run them. They will ask for your phone to be connected - use the same USB to Micro USB cable as you used before - it should be a reliable one, as well as a reliable port on your PC. Watch the PC screen and the Device screen - there will be a few times you need to either wake the device or accept something on the device screen to progress - don't take a nap during this process. Sometimes it can take a while to download the files needed, other times it's a 5 minute process. YMMV

****HOW TO ADD A CUSTOM RECOVERY****

A logical next step after rooting is to add a custom recovery. Currently the Verizon Note 3 has a locked bootloader - this is bad news. It means we have no true custom recoveries available. There is nothing you can do about this, short of becoming extremely proficient in hacking enterprise level encryption overnight. Godspeed in this endeavor.

We have been blessed though - @Hashcode has worked his magic and enabled "Safestrap" a form of "Bootstrap" recovery which is, as the name implies, more reliable and, well, safer. This is a very stable and viable replacement for a typical custom recovery. In fact, it's based on one of the most popular recoveries - Team Win Recovery Project, or TWRP for short.

Head over here [RECOVERY LOCKED/MJ7,MJE,NC2,NC4] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 KK B03] to grab the latest APK and read the install instructions in the OP there CAREFULLY. This is not a foolproof tool and you are taking the same kind of risks as you took rooting your device. See appropriate disclaimers in Hashcode's thread. That being said, it's worked flawlessly for nearly everybody involved and word of "bricks" (or permanently damaged devices) for the Note 3 is basically nill - so stop worrying, follow directions and enjoy!​

Last edited:

Nidisa

Nov 27, 2009
Does this method work IF:

I am rooted via root de la vega, running latest safestrap, beans v2 on Rom slot 1.
Baseband ver MI9
Build number MJ7

Would I have to uninstall anything to use your instructions OP?
Would I need to switch in safestrap to stock slot before beginning process?

Honestly haven't had a lick of trouble being on M19 baseband, but maybe I'm on borrowed time?

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA

I am rooted via root de la vega, running latest safestrap, beans v2 on Rom slot 1.
Baseband ver MI9
Build number MJ7

Honestly haven't had a lick of trouble being on M19 baseband, but maybe I'm on borrowed time?

If you're already on build MJ7 then I'd just Odin the MJ7 baseband over in beans thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524572 No need to do this which will lose you root.

Transmission courtesy of my Note 3 & XDA Premium

Last edited:

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Why wouldnt you just flash Beans Stock J7 rom in SS recovery then Odin the J7 modem? The only need to use Odin would be for returning to stock or fixing a soft brick.

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Why wouldnt you just flash Beans Stock J7 rom in SS recovery then Odin the J7 modem? The only need to use Odin would be for returning to stock or fixing a soft brick.

But flashing that rom wouldn't change his baseband which is what he's after. That's why I said to Odin the modem

jgrimberg1979

May 16, 2010
D.C

I would image that there are some firmware updates that you wouldn't be able to get if you just flashed the modem. I have not looked at the update package so I may be wrong about the firmware updates

Reactions: rifat09

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Am I correct in assuming that if it goes as planned I should not lose any data?
I see nothing about that in the OP, but I'm extra cautious without my nandroid security blanket...

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah, no data loss :)

EDIT - DATA LOSS HAS OCCURRED FOR SOME, PREPARE ACCORDINGLY

Last edited:

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
I was under the impression that the Kingo was malware and not trusted? Someone said it was stealing IMEI and personal information? Is this not the case?

Last edited:

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I was under the impression that the Kingo was malware and not trusted? Someone said it was stealing IMEI and personal information? Is this not the case?

Not really, see this thread below discussing a response from the Kingo developers. Essentially, no its not not malware or malicious. It's closed source which is a little unnerving for some around open source friendly XDA. It kind of has to be closed source though because if it was open source then anyone, Verizon included, could patch the root exploit...Also, it & vroot (also confirmed non malicious) are essentially the only way to root the note 3 & several other Samsung devices in the post-knox hyper security world of big red. So, we have to bite the bullet on closed source so we can keep our path to root.

I used it and nothing funny is going on in my world. Hope this makes you a little more comfortable.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2522602

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
Not really, see this thread below discussing a response from the Kingo developers. Essentially, no its not not malware or malicious. It's closed source which is a little unnerving for some around open source friendly XDA. It kind of has to be closed source though because if it was open source then anyone, Verizon included, could patch the root exploit...Also, it & vroot (also confirmed non malicious) are essentially the only way to root the note 3 & several other Samsung devices in the post-knox hyper security world of big red. So, we have to bite the bullet on closed source so we can keep our path to root.

I used it and nothing funny is going on in my world. Hope this makes you a little more comfortable.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2522602

Right, but Kingo has still not stated why he collects imei and other personal information. I pulled the plug and rooted with it just to have root but I also watched the traffic during the root process and plenty of data was sent at the end of the root process to 3 separate IP addresses all which are registered in China. It may be safe but he is definitely collecting information. I just want to make anybody aware of this before running this method blindly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Right, but Kingo has still not stated why he collects imei and other personal information. I pulled the plug and rooted with it just to have root but I also watched the traffic during the root process and plenty of data was sent at the end of the root process to 3 separate IP addresses all which are registered in China. It may be safe but he is definitely collecting information. I just want to make anybody aware of this before running this method blindly.

Obviously it's not the ideal situation - no doubt about that - but I'm happy to have a simple, fairly safe method to root what is otherwise a very tough nut to crack. Here's a great response from a forum moderator that pretty much sums up the whole scenario as well as can be done at this point: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47326216&postcount=26

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno

Yes they did, if you had been paying attention to their Facebook and the other threads. The serial collection is inevitable. Your phone basically gives it up to your computer when establishing a connection. And the new update they released like a week ago made the collection of imei stop. ;)

sistemacaido

Dec 1, 2010
Does anyone have a working link for mj7? It states to many downloads have been created.
Thanks for any help.

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Does anyone have a working link for mj7? It states to many downloads have been created.
Thanks for any help.

Uploading to a different host now. I've never had this kind of trouble from Google Drive before... Sorry for the inconvenience. It will be up mid early morning and if I wake up in the middle of the night (not uncommon) I'll post the link then, if not it'll be up early tomorrow.

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
New Host for MJ7 Tar file over at Android File Host, shouldn't have any restrictions going forward... Google Drive - You disappoint me :eek:

edit: See OP for Google Drive link...Android File Host link was throwing binary mismatch codes

Last edited:

njfoses

Jun 4, 2010
S Jersey
Uploading to a different host now. I've never had this kind of trouble from Google Drive before... Sorry for the inconvenience. It will be up mid early morning and if I wake up in the middle of the night (not uncommon) I'll post the link then, if not it'll be up early tomorrow.

Unfortunately google drive is just like dropbox in the aspect of bandwidth limitations.

Reactions: DutchDogg54
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WELCOME TO THE VERIZON NOTE 3 GUIDE FOR ROOTING, USING ODIN & UPDATING TO THE LATEST OTA

****HOW TO UPGRADE TO LEAKED 4.4.2 KITKAT BUILD****

@Hashcode has explained this very well here - do read it and recognize how neat this opportunity is for us.

That being said, there are some special instructions for utilizing this leak. They are pretty simple and require no special tools or procedures most people around here haven't already used at some point, see below.

1) Start from any Rooted 4.3 MJE Rom (including Stock) with Safestrap 3.65 installed
    2) Make any necessary Titanium Backups, etc
    3) Reboot to SafeStrap Recovery - I'd recommend making a backup of your 4.3 setup at this point, just in case.
    4) Wipe Data & Caches - This is the wipe that is queued up for you immediately upon entering wipe menu in SS - When finished hit "home" button in SS
    5) Click Install and flash either the Deodex or Odexed version of the NC2 4.4.2 leak
    6) DO NOT CLICK REBOOT SYSTEM WHEN FINISHED - Instead, hit the "home" button in SS and click the main menu Reboot option.
    7) Click Reboot to Download mode & follow typical Odin procedure (instructions below) to flash the 4.4.2 Firmware tar
    8) Boot into Stock 4.4.2 and download Safestrap 3.72 built specifically for KitKat
    9) Boot to SS 3.72 - I'd recommend making a backup at this point as well
    10) Click thanks over on Beans thread and Hashcode's SafeStrap thread & ENJOY!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

***OLD INFO***UPDATE TO LATEST OTA (MJE) ***OLD INFO***

METHOD 1 - BACK TO MJ7 & ACCEPT OTA:

1) Download and MD5 check the Tar (file removed).

2) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

3) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJ7 stock OTA firmware.

4) Once on this firmware you can navigate to Software Update via Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Once you've tapped this you'll see an option to either check for updates or download now/later. Select whichever option you have to update and wait for the file to download. You'll then be prompted to install now or wait. Install and it will automatically take over and install the latest OTA Firmware build ending in MJE. This will install the latest software, firmware, modem and kernel. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

METHOD 2 - STRAIGHT TO MJE:

1) Download and MD5 check the Zipped Tar (file removed).

2) Navigate to the MJE file on your PC. Right click it and hover over "7-Zip," on the pop-out menu select "Extract Here." (Nearly any archiving software will appear in this right-click menu) It will decompress the tar file we need and you'll be ready to continue. This process will not work until you've decompressed the zip file!

3) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

4) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJE stock OTA firmware. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

****DISCLAIMER: PROCEEDING & ROOTING YOUR DEVICE IS YOUR CHOICE - USING THE FOLLOWING ROOT TECHNIQUE(S) IS, AS ALWAYS, AT YOUR OWN RISK - FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND YOU'LL BE FINE.****

****HOW TO ROOT 4.4.x KITKAT BUILDS FOR VERIZON NOTE 3****

There is an amazingly easy tool called "towel root" that is an application you install like any other side loaded app - once it's installed it's one click and you're rooted...can't ask for it to be much easier than that!

Get towel root here or Get more info here

***OLD INFO***HOW TO ROOT 4.3 JELLYBEAN BUILDS FOR VERIZON NOTE 3***OLD INFO***

There are two known methods to root MJ7 & MJE. I will not discuss how to root MI9 because there's no benefit whatsoever to remaining on that original build. Nothing was lost moving to MJ7 or MJE so if you want to be rooted I'd recommend moving on up to a later build.

Both Root methods are essentially "One-Click" applications produced by people or companies not using XDA as their methods of distribution. They are very simple and easy to use tools that are installed on your PC and guide you step-by-step through the process via the computer program. The one I recommend using is called "Kingo." There is also one called "vRoot" but, since I have no experience using it nor have any data on others successfully using it, I'll always recommend Kingo. Because they don't post these to XDA, I cannot post links to the source files. This is at the moderators and administrators of XDA's request. DON'T ask for the direct link(s) and NO posting them - they will be flagged down and moderators will haunt your dreams.

Once you've downloaded the files...Google is your friend ;)...install them and run them. They will ask for your phone to be connected - use the same USB to Micro USB cable as you used before - it should be a reliable one, as well as a reliable port on your PC. Watch the PC screen and the Device screen - there will be a few times you need to either wake the device or accept something on the device screen to progress - don't take a nap during this process. Sometimes it can take a while to download the files needed, other times it's a 5 minute process. YMMV

****HOW TO ADD A CUSTOM RECOVERY****

A logical next step after rooting is to add a custom recovery. Currently the Verizon Note 3 has a locked bootloader - this is bad news. It means we have no true custom recoveries available. There is nothing you can do about this, short of becoming extremely proficient in hacking enterprise level encryption overnight. Godspeed in this endeavor.

We have been blessed though - @Hashcode has worked his magic and enabled "Safestrap" a form of "Bootstrap" recovery which is, as the name implies, more reliable and, well, safer. This is a very stable and viable replacement for a typical custom recovery. In fact, it's based on one of the most popular recoveries - Team Win Recovery Project, or TWRP for short.

Head over here [RECOVERY LOCKED/MJ7,MJE,NC2,NC4] Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-26 KK B03] to grab the latest APK and read the install instructions in the OP there CAREFULLY. This is not a foolproof tool and you are taking the same kind of risks as you took rooting your device. See appropriate disclaimers in Hashcode's thread. That being said, it's worked flawlessly for nearly everybody involved and word of "bricks" (or permanently damaged devices) for the Note 3 is basically nill - so stop worrying, follow directions and enjoy!​
    i'm guessing there are those out there that wet themselves getting the newest update.

i'm also guessing that KK isn't worth the trouble of updating, rooting, and if all your data is lost, reinstalling all your email accounts and software, settings, etc.

i've updated KK last year on a moto and really nothing in the KK update worth the possible disaster. past experience w/ verizon and any of their late and lame updates have more potential for screwing up your phone

You are 100% wrong. The leak for KK is especially exciting for VZW Note 3 users as it is still SElinux permissive AND allows for kernel modules to be loaded. I would avoid the official OTA to KK like the plague. But as for jumping onto the KK leak.. it might be the single most exciting thing to have happened to stock ROMs in recent history.
    so basically this is the end of the line for the note3...the s5 is not rooted? and they totally locked down the galaxy line?

I wouldn't take such a bleak outlook as that. First and foremost we need to remember that the culprit here is Verizon...Samsung devices on T-Mobile & Sprint have unlockable bootloaders so it's certainly not the manufacturer - it's clearly the carrier. Yes, Samsung is responsible for Knox, which is a pain, but we've proven in our own device's case how that isn't too big a stumbling block to overcome. If we had an unlocked bootloader Knox would be a fly to swat out of our way on the path to complete and total freedom to mod whatever we'd like. It's only because of the locked bootloader that we are stuck using EXTREMELY bright people like @Hashcode, @designgears, @BeansTown106, @bajasur, @Chainfire etc. to create mind-bending work-arounds for these complicated and enterprise-level security systems.

What I would say is that the latest word out of Google with their acquisition of a company called Divide, which specializes in enterprise security and the like, is that the need for something like Knox is diminishing on a device manufacturer basis. I do have some severe doubts as to whether Samsung would disband their new corporate security blanket, but if Divide has software that does what it says it does on every android device out of the box there may be redundancy issues having both that & Knox running at the same time. I have a feeling Google will win should there be a conflict and Samsung will then drop Knox & use Divide.

This still doesn't solve the bootloader & root issue some are facing, I realize. The unfortunate truth about that is that some carriers, Verizon especially, have taken a stand that unlocked bootloaders aren't worth their trouble and decided to offer "developer editions" which carry no risk to them and they don't have to subsidize. I understand their decision being a business manager/owner myself, but I, of course, understand the frustration as a user and the true owner of the device.

To directly talk to your point - No, this isn't he end of the line for the Note 3 or any galaxy device. Just look at what Kingo was able to do with being able to root our previous builds. There's a chance they or someone else will figure out how to root NC4 and possibly many more builds going forward on many more devices. There's also the potential for further leaked builds like our NC2 which is a wide open playground of potential in an otherwise maximum security prison that is Verizon. And the fact that Kingo, VRoot & others aren't somebody like us posting our stuff on XDA for the whole world to see (open source), then the root exploit is drastically less likely to be patched by Verizon. Ultimately, I don't like trusting the root process to somebody without a face and without access to their code in an open source way, but that may be the final frontier of smartphone rooting - that we must mask our path to victory so the evil Big Red don't follow our breadcrumbs and trap us in a no-root prison.

The true way to stop this bullying by Verizon is the old "talk with your wallet" technique where we don't buy devices with a locked bootloader. The problem is Verizon has a perfect fallback for all those people. They'll say, "Sure you can root (assuming someone figures out a way) & do all that stuff - just buy our developer edition! Sure, it will be a ton more money but that's the cost of being an evil rooting hacker!" And since that's not what we want - we want our subsidies and the ability to treat it like our own personal hardware - we are at an impasse. For many people the only choice for decent network is Verizon (that's me) so for me and a lot of other people, we can't take a stand and choose the provider that offers unlockable bootloaders and subsidies, so we're forced to deal with Verizon's shenanigans. It sucks, it really does...but we're stuck...that is, until T-Mobile or Sprint pick up their game and provide a network with even a fraction as much coverage and speed as Verizon...but that's, in my opinion, something that's years off, if ever.

Baseband ver MI9
    Build number MJ7

If you're already on build MJ7 then I'd just Odin the MJ7 baseband over in beans thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524572 No need to do this which will lose you root.

Nooooo. Apple is ddosing