Easier WiFi Tether Hack (No SQL Edits + Survives Factory Resets)

Search This thread

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
** Designed for stock Moto 98.72.22 and 98.72.22-based ROMs **
** FOR OTHER ROMS and updated stock, see post #7 **

When you do the entitlement_check SQL hack, you are modifying a string provided by MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk. But anytime you do a factory reset, you have to repeat the SQL hack. I didn't like this, so I modified the system APK to disable entitlement by default = same end result as SQL hack.

I have tested this twice without issue, so I'd say it's ready for release. Of course you need to be rooted to modify /system/app.

I did the following with Safestrap file manager and upon rebooting (no need to wipe, it seems) the Mobile Hotspot launcher worked like a charm :)
Also did a factory reset (data, dalvik, cache) and tethering still worked just fine!

Instructions:
0. Backup just in case!!
1. Download attached MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk
2. Reboot into Safestrap, Mount System, and then open the File Manager (under Advanced)
3. Browse to /system/app and rename MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk to *.apk.BAK (keep as a backup)
4. Browse back to the downloaded file, click it, select Move, browse to /system/app, click Select, OK
5. Browse again to /system/app, click on MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk (NOT the one ending in .BAK)
6. CHMOD permissions as 0644 (rw r- r-)
7. Rename MotorolaSettingsProvider.odex to *.odex.BAK (backup)
8. Reboot, click Thanks, and enjoy!

Attachments

• MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk
    28.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Ismokel

Dec 4, 2010
tried this on stock jb.no go. fc and started reading notifications. also constant network loss and re-aquire.

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
tried this on stock jb.no go. fc and started reading notifications. also constant network loss and re-aquire.

JB 246 98.72.22? I'm assuming you used a root explorer due to the FC. I recommend using Safestrap's built-in file manager (see the updated instructions).

I could also make a flashable ZIP to mitigate user-error if there is demand for it.

The last issues you mentioned are unrelated to this. The modified APK is exactly the same as the original, except for a single byte (1 -> 0) and deodexed. Oh, and a "false" to "true" in the manifest so we could manually clear data, but that didn't work out. You can decompile and compare yourself :)

Last edited:

ShadyDreamer

Mar 5, 2014
Same issue here as Ismokel. It might be a signing issue, as I saw the same thing occur when I tried doing the mod myself and was experimenting with the different options for signing. It worked for me when I left the existing signature.

I would post my modded version, but I need to make one with only that mod first, as mine has mods to change other defaults as well.

Also, what is this JB 246 you are referring to? Wrong number? Just from a quick search, the only 246 reference I found was ICS.

You mentioned that yours worked for you without wiping data. Did you change default_entitlement_check in the xml resources or did you change something else? I was only interested in this mod to change the default and not the existing setting, but I'm still somewhat curious.

dpcsar

Mar 20, 2014
** Designed for stock Moto 246 (JB 4.1.2) and 246-stock-based ROMs **

When you do the entitlement_check SQL hack, you are modifying a string provided by MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk. But anytime you do a factory reset, you have to repeat the SQL hack. I didn't like this, so I modified the system APK to disable entitlement by default.

I have tested this twice without issue, so I'd say it's ready for release. Of course you need to be rooted to modify /system/app.

I did the following with Safestrap file manager and upon rebooting (no need to wipe, it seems) the Mobile Hotspot launcher worked like a charm :)
Also did a factory reset (data, dalvik, cache) and tethering still worked just fine!

Instructions:
2. Reboot into Safestrap, Mount System, and then open the File Manager (under Advanced)
3. Browse to /system/app and rename MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk to *.apk.BAK (keep as a backup)
4. Browse back to the downloaded file, click it, select Move, browse to /system/app, click Select, OK
5. Browse again to /system/app, click on MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk (NOT the one ending in .BAK)

I would like to know how you made the modifications to the apk. I would like to make the same modifications for my Atrix HD. :)

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Also, what is this JB 246 you are referring to? Wrong number? Just from a quick search, the only 246 reference I found was ICS.

Whoops!! 98.72.22 is the base I used. If you took OTA updates, that could explain the boot loops. See below on how to DIY :)

I would like to know how you made the modifications to the apk. I would like to make the same modifications for my Atrix HD. :)

has anyone tried this with SlimKat? It's the one thing that's missing from it that I've wanted so far.

This mod is easy and should work on all ROMs. All you need is a deodexed version of MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk from your current/desired ROM.

Steps: after decompiling, open the following text file:
res/values/integers.xml
look for: def_entitlement_check
Change the 1 to a 0 and save.
Recompile and KEEP EXISTING SIGNATURE.

My safestrap instructions will work on your newly modified APK. (If you're going to try replacing via root file explorers, I suggest an overwriting Paste. That way you'll keep permissions in case android crashes and hot reboots. Do not delete, *then* paste. It'll likely crash before you can set the permissions.)

Good luck!

ShadyDreamer

Mar 5, 2014
This mod is easy and should work on all ROMs. All you need is a deodexed version of MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk from your current/desired ROM.

Steps: after decompiling, open the following text file:
res/values/integers.xml
look for: def_entitlement_check
Change the 1 to a 0 and save.
Recompile and KEEP EXISTING SIGNATURE.

That's exactly what I did, so I don't know why your file didn't work for me. I'm using 98.72.22, too. A while ago when I did that exact mod myself it worked fine.

If you are using adb from a computer connected by USB to copy and install the apk, after using su you can use the stop command to close all apps, then you can safely move, rename, replace, or delete system apps without it crashing and rebooting. Just make sure you have it in the proper state before you reboot. If a prompt to allow su from adb comes up on the phone, be sure to allow it with no time limit in case you need to use su again before you use adb reboot to restart the phone.

Last edited:

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
That's exactly what I did, so I don't know why your file didn't work for me. I'm using 98.72.22, too. A while ago when I did that exact mod myself it worked fine.

Curious, where did you get your APK from? Because stock is odexed.
My file also had a manifest edit (which didn't work out), but I doubt that's the issue since it works on two of my Bionics.

ShadyDreamer

Mar 5, 2014
When I quoted the part I was replying to, I included your "All you need is a deodexed version of MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk from your current/desired ROM." line in the quote for a reason. I did that part.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Designed for stock Moto 98.72.22 and 98.72.22-based ROMs **
    ** FOR OTHER ROMS and updated stock, see post #7 **

When you do the entitlement_check SQL hack, you are modifying a string provided by MotorolaSettingsProvider.apk. But anytime you do a factory reset, you have to repeat the SQL hack. I didn't like this, so I modified the system APK to disable entitlement by default = same end result as SQL hack.

Instructions:
    0. Backup just in case!!