(Super) cheap Qi charger $11.5/8,5€

Search This thread

Mustang243

Jun 3, 2013
Finland
Okay guys, I ran in to this . It's k51 Qi Charger from Dx.com and it's on sale. It costs only $11.5 (was $20) and for that price I decided to order it. There's also a black version available: http://deals.dx.com/team.php?id=4701

Okay I just received mine. It is very very light and feels kinda cheap (well duh, what can you expect for 8,5 euros? ). It looks pretty good, I'm not sure if I like the leds on it. They aren't too bright or anything but they just don't fit with the white theme. It also makes this little sound when it starts charging. This may be con for someone, but it doesn't bother me.

First thing i noticed that the batterly level didn't rise up even though phone was on the charger for a half and hour. I tried the cable with the original charger and the charging status (in *#*#info#*#* -thingy) kept flashing between USB, AC and Unplugged. So the cable is faulty. I tried the original cable and everything was fine.

The charging area (or the "sweet spot" as Zenety called it) is decent. I don't know if theres a difference between the white and black one, but in mine you don't have to put it precisely in the middle of the charger for it to work. The green charging light doesn't always light up but phone is still charging.

The charging works pretty good when without case and also with Headcase, but when using Ringke Hybrid you need to put the phone precisely on the "sweet spot" for it to work. With leatherpouch it didn't work at all. Surface is very slippery and your phone can move around quite easily. I'm gonna find out if there anything to do with that.

Can anyone recommend app that allows me to see charging current? I could compare it to original LG wallcharger?

Here's few pictures:
2aewaxs.jpg
xnclts.jpg

ridnww.jpg
2hfqq11.jpg

2r7tun5.jpg

r79nrb.jpg

Please tell me if these pictures are too big and I will re-upload them!

Last edited:

Ticiano

Aug 13, 2010
Just bought one for me and one for my father. If this thing sucks, it's your fault, twice! :)

Jokes apart, thanks!

klvnhng

Dec 1, 2012
Toronto
Forgive me, but I never quite got the point of using a wireless charger. Besides the novelty of not having to connect a cable, don't the disadvantages outweigh the benefits? I mean, for one, you can't pick up the device while it's charging. And it also charges slower than on an AC wall charger.

Ticiano

Aug 13, 2010
Forgive me, but I never quite got the point of using a wireless charger. Besides the novelty of not having to connect a cable, don't the disadvantages outweigh the benefits? I mean, for one, you can't pick up the device while it's charging. And it also charges slower than on an AC wall charger.

I like the idea that the charging will stop when the battery gets full and so it's perfect to use at night. I don't know for sure, but I think that keeping the phone plugged do the AC wall charger isn't good for the battery's lifespan.

klvnhng

Dec 1, 2012
Toronto
I like the idea that the charging will stop when the battery gets full and so it's perfect to use at night. I don't know for sure, but I think that keeping the phone plugged do the AC wall charger isn't good for the battery's lifespan.

Wall charger will also stop charging when full (as the battery is li-po), but maintains a trickle charge overnight, which should have little or no effect on battery lifespan.

Reactions: Ticiano

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
i had one like this, the magnet wasnt very strong, i could get it to connect but sometimes it would stop so i couldnt rely on it.

the light changed colour once connected.

it was a hassle trying to get it to charge, i thought i could just slap the phone on it and it would detect but i guess due to the large surface area the phone needs to be in the dead center,

you could also have the phone dead center and it wouldnt detect, i had to hover the phone half a centimeter around for it to detect and you can feel the magnetic pull, took me 1-3 seconds to trigger the charge

it was much simpler just charging via USB.

i would buy one again and open it and put it in a smaller housing like the size of the phone,maybe use a better magnet

a few people i know swear by these chargers but they have the official products,

the nexus4 will tickle charge once it reaches upto 90% to preserve the battery life.

Last edited:

Mustang243

Jun 3, 2013
Finland
Well I hope that this one won't have problems like above. It may have, maybe it will. I'll just have to wait and try it for myself. I dont think that charging with this one will be any slower since in the specs it says: "1. Input: 5V, 2A 2. Output: 5V, 1A" so if you use usb-charger that has 2A output it shouldn't be that much slower. If you use the original charger then it might take forever to fully charge?

The main reason I decide to buy this is the fact that I charge my phone every day. And sometimes I have to plug it out and back in few times a day because I need run some errands etc. Do you see where I'm going with this? The micro-usb port will take heck of alot "beating" daily and I've read so many stories (in general) about micro-usb being not as durable as it should be. So wireless charger will preserve my micro-usb port from over wearing and my phone will a long, happy, life :D

Zenety

Mar 17, 2013
I have ordered one. Just for the main purpose of opening it and using the Qi charging pad in another housing. Got some cool idea's to experiment with!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I bought the black one instead. Not that I need the actual housing, but if it doesn't work out like I want it to, i'd rather go for the same color as my nexus.

Last edited:

Zenety

Mar 17, 2013
Has been sent today. Estimated delivery is 15 to 20 days so that will take a while. Will post photos if OP hasn't gotten it by then.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Zenety

Mar 17, 2013
Received mine yesterday. The sweet spot is obviously very small. It came with a white cable, was hoping for a black one. But my n900 charger will be fine too :p

Photo's:

9C4jvPq.jpg

TnWVoAa.jpg

Mustang243

Jun 3, 2013
Finland
Still waiting for mine. I was hoping to get it this week but we shall see. Thanks for the photos! I will add pictures of the white one once I receive it. Unless someone who already got their white version adds pics before I do.

Zenety

Mar 17, 2013
does phone heat up while charging with this charger ?

Haven't had it on for very long. About 2 hours, felt like normal warmth like charging with micro USB. It's REALLY smooth. The Nexus will really fall of very fast, I have to make sure it's on a flat surface. Also if you move the device a bit it will stop charging, when you move it back it won't start charging again.
You will have to lift the phone up, and put it down again. Kinda annoyed by that, but hey, what can you expect for 8 euro's :good:

Mustang243

Jun 3, 2013
Finland
Okay I just received mine. It is very very light and feels kinda cheap (well duh, what can you expect for 8,5 euros? :D). It looks pretty good, I'm not sure if I like the leds on it. They aren't too bright or anything but they just don't fit with the white theme. It also makes this little sound when it starts charging. This may be con for someone, but it doesn't bother me.

The charging area (or the "sweet spot" as Zenety called it) is decent. I don't know if theres a difference between the white and black one, but in mine you don't have to put it precisely in the middle of the charger for it to work. The green charging light doesn't always light up but phone is still charging.

The charging works pretty good when without case and also with Headcase, but when using Ringke Hybrid you need to put the phone precisely on the "sweet spot" for it to work. With leatherpouch it didn't work at all. Surface is very slippery and your phone can move around quite easily. I'm gonna find out if there anything to do with that.

I can take pictures if you guys want? Can anyone recommend app that allows me to see charging current? I could compare it to original LG wallcharger?

E: Okay first thing i noticed that the batterly level didn't rise up even though phone was on the charger for a half and hour. I tried the cable with the original charger and the charging status (in *#*#info#*#* -thingy) kept flashing between USB, AC and Unplugged. So the cable is faulty. I have changed the cable now, lets see what happens. Will report back.

E2: I edited my first post and added some pics in there!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013

Yes I have one, I like it. I took it apart and removed the little speaker that beeps when you put the phone on.. it charges at 650mA.. so better than USB and just a bit slower than high quality cables with a wall charger.. ( 800mA).. so now I use it at work, its super easy to charge the phone with a wireless charger when working in a cubicle... you pick it up and put it down without the hassle of cables connected to your phone..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys, I ran in to this . It's k51 Qi Charger from Dx.com and it's on sale. It costs only $11.5 (was $20) and for that price I decided to order it. There's also a black version available: http://deals.dx.com/team.php?id=4701

Okay I just received mine. It is very very light and feels kinda cheap (well duh, what can you expect for 8,5 euros? ). It looks pretty good, I'm not sure if I like the leds on it. They aren't too bright or anything but they just don't fit with the white theme. It also makes this little sound when it starts charging. This may be con for someone, but it doesn't bother me.

First thing i noticed that the batterly level didn't rise up even though phone was on the charger for a half and hour. I tried the cable with the original charger and the charging status (in *#*#info#*#* -thingy) kept flashing between USB, AC and Unplugged. So the cable is faulty. I tried the original cable and everything was fine.

Can anyone recommend app that allows me to see charging current? I could compare it to original LG wallcharger?

Here's few pictures:
    2aewaxs.jpg
    xnclts.jpg

ridnww.jpg
    2hfqq11.jpg

2r7tun5.jpg

r79nrb.jpg

Please tell me if these pictures are too big and I will re-upload them!

Wall charger will also stop charging when full (as the battery is li-po), but maintains a trickle charge overnight, which should have little or no effect on battery lifespan.