How Not To Brick Your E4GT (UPDATED 10/13/12)

Search This thread

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
and to install Venom rom from Rom manager

Rom Manager and E4GT doesn't belong in the same post !

Going back to Gingerbread should be done from ODIN, whether you wish to use a tar or grab a one click. Flashing at this point should be done from gingerbread as far as custom ics roms go, stock as well but you have one clicks for those.

Reactions: dynoboot

dynoboot

May 23, 2012
Rom Manager and E4GT doesn't belong in the same post !

Going back to Gingerbread should be done from ODIN, whether you wish to use a tar or grab a one click. Flashing at this point should be done from gingerbread as far as custom ics roms go, stock as well but you have one clicks for those.

I see well I won't use Rom manager anymore...Truthfully the only reason I was using it was using it in the first place was it was an easier way to boot into CWM since my case is finnicky w/ the volume rocker. I'm a bit new at this obviously. Given that I tried to wipe don't seem to have succeeded and everything seems to be fine, is it safe to presume I should be fairly safe in one-clicking back to Gingerbread? Or should I wait?

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
I see well I won't use Rom manager anymore...Truthfully the only reason I was using it was using it in the first place was it was an easier way to boot into CWM since my case is finnicky w/ the volume rocker. I'm a bit new at this obviously. Given that I tried to wipe don't seem to have succeeded and everything seems to be fine, is it safe to presume I should be fairly safe in one-clicking back to Gingerbread? Or should I wait?

I am not actually sure what the total issue with rom manager is, but it has been said not to use it. I know part of the issue stems from the "fake/temp flash" issue because our recovery is repacked into the kernel. I have never had any success with gaining the temporary access using it so I have to take peoples word for it.

As far as booting into recovery easier from a running phone. Some custom roms have this in the power menu, Calkulin's 3.0 EL29 has it. Also lookup quick boot which is on Calk's rom its an app that lets you reboot to recovery. I dont think quick boot does download mode but many roms that have it in the power menu do.

As long as you can get into Download mode its safe to give it a shot. The one click is a prepackaged method of the same thing a technician would be doing to your phone if they had it at this point. Its THE safest way to leave ICS and the way to put the phone back to stock (rooted in this case).

dynoboot

May 23, 2012
I am not actually sure what the total issue with rom manager is, but it has been said not to use it. I know part of the issue stems from the "fake/temp flash" issue because our recovery is repacked into the kernel. I have never had any success with gaining the temporary access using it so I have to take peoples word for it.

As far as booting into recovery easier from a running phone. Some custom roms have this in the power menu, Calkulin's 3.0 EL29 has it. Also lookup quick boot which is on Calk's rom its an app that lets you reboot to recovery. I dont think quick boot does download mode but many roms that have it in the power menu do.

As long as you can get into Download mode its safe to give it a shot. The one click is a prepackaged method of the same thing a technician would be doing to your phone if they had it at this point. Its THE safest way to leave ICS and the way to put the phone back to stock (rooted in this case).

I did have Blazer Rom before and that did indeed have the power function, it was nice. My hesitation is from my limited understanding of what's going on is attempting to wipe causes the problem, and in some cases from what I can tell it appears some people are failing in Odin, specifically because the problem was already created it seems. Although this version of ICS isn't my favorite, I vastly prefer it to a paperweight. :D In this thread there appears to be some progress being made, so that's why I was thinking perhaps I should wait it out. Then again I'm really not sure. I may give a crack at some of that serial # stuff they're talking about in the other thread and see just how at risk I am. I haven't really tried the dev tools yet anyway......

RainMotorsports

Dec 24, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G Touch
Google Nexus 5
The wipe occurs when installing a rom, kernel, or doing a factory reset on a current ICS kernel of any kind, stock, stock unsecured, cwm. Data seems to be the one hit all the time but technically with factory reset the Cache partition is also a possible victim. The kernel issues a command to the eMMC but the eMMC firmware that actually does the wipe is bugged and randomly corrupts the low level area of memory.

Last I word I heard (posted by sfhub on the 1tth) was using Calkulin's format all was safe. But I feel like you wondering about the full versus no data one clicks? ODIN is fine do not worry about ODIN.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
If you have problems booting into recovery,just dl Quick Boot app from play store.

jy2003

Mar 27, 2008
If I want to flash from aokp to cm9, what is the right way? Should I do the one click Odin to el29, flash cm7 and then cm9?

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
Thanks for this guide! One question I have is regarding flashing back to Gingerbread if wanting to switch from ICS to ICS ROM's. Theoretically, could I just restore my rooted stock back up in CWM and then flash a new ROM?

Sorry if this is a very n00bish question. Coming from the LG Optimus, a lot of this is like learning a new language. I'm sure it will come quickly though. :)

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Thanks for this guide! One question I have is regarding flashing back to Gingerbread if wanting to switch from ICS to ICS ROM's. Theoretically, could I just restore my rooted stock back up in CWM and then flash a new ROM?

Sorry if this is a very n00bish question. Coming from the LG Optimus, a lot of this is like learning a new language. I'm sure it will come quickly though. :)

Better to ask than not - you'll want to use an ODIN flash (separate kernel or one-click, either OK) to get back to GB for the time being. Once there you can use CWM to flash back to an ICS ROM.

Reactions: mjs2011

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
Better to ask than not - you'll want to use an ODIN flash (separate kernel or one-click, either OK) to get back to GB for the time being. Once there you can use CWM to flash back to an ICS ROM.

Thanks! I've gathered some awesome info today from a couple of you!

So basically, if going from an ICS ROM to another ICS ROM:

1. Flash EL26 or EL29 by using Odin/Odin Mobile

2. Boot into Recovery by holding Power+Vol Up when phone auto reboots after flashing kernel.

3. Backup/Wipe/Install ROM (Normal flashing process)

4. Enjoy!

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Thanks! I've gathered some awesome info today from a couple of you!

So basically, if going from an ICS ROM to another ICS ROM:

1. Flash EL26 or EL29 by using Odin/Odin Mobile

2. Boot into Recovery by holding Power+Vol Up when phone auto reboots after flashing kernel.

3. Backup/Wipe/Install ROM (Normal flashing process)

4. Enjoy!

Yep! Enjoy and just remember - when all else fails ODIN is your friend. (One of the first things told to me when I got my E4GT)

Reactions: habitformer

CtotheP

Nov 1, 2007
Sorry for the Noob post, but I'm a first-timer here. I have an E4GT and Rooted + CWM for EL29 using Odin. Seems like the Kernel is still Gingerbread, which means I can't just throw an ICS ROM on and go.....or can I?

Do I need to update my Kernel to something ICS-related before flashing the ROM? Or can I just download an ICD rom, throw it on the SD Card, and then use CWM to flash?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I used the Rogue Stock EL29 Unpack kernel

Last edited:

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
Sorry for the Noob post, but I'm a first-timer here. I have an E4GT and Rooted + CWM for EL29 using Odin. Seems like the Kernel is still Gingerbread, which means I can't just throw an ICS ROM on and go.....or can I?

Do I need to update my Kernel to something ICS-related before flashing the ROM? Or can I just download an ICD rom, throw it on the SD Card, and then use CWM to flash?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I used the Rogue Stock EL29 Unpack kernel

If your on The EL29 Rogue Repacked Kernel, you can flash any touchwiz based ics rom you want, however you cannot flash any aosp roms. You will need a CWM kernel for that like Chris's EL26 CWM kernel that you can find floating around the forums, and in the kernel repository. Always do a full wipe before flashing to a ICS Touchwiz rom from GB.

K.0.0.L.

Jun 16, 2012
Charlotte, NC
-PLEASE-- read before posting
-PASS THIS INFO ON IF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS COMMUNITY
-WE NOW HAVE AN IDEA WHY BRICKS ARE OCCURRING WITH ICS KERNELS, CHECK OUT SFHUB'S THREAD HERE FOR MORE INFO http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1644364 I DO NOT FEEL THE NEED TO GIVE ALL THE INFORMATION THAT SFHUB HAS STATED BECAUSE IT TAKES TO LONG, AND THIS THREAD IS ONLY ABOUT PREVENTING BRICKS NOT THE REASON BEHIND THEM.
-SOURCE WILL BE COMING SOON, BUT UNTIL THEN DO NOT WIPE ANYTHING IN ICS KERNELS, OR YOU CAN CRY BY YOURSELF IN A DARK CORNER FOR ALL I CARE
-I will add to this post occasionally as they're are many leaks coming out with minor changes, it's not necessary to constantly update it.
-Thanks to jerdog for moving this post and stickying it. And thanks to those who helped get it stickied
-This thread will not help you if you already hard bricked, it's only to prevent bricks from occuring
-If you can reach download mode still, you may not be bricked, however, some are getting stuck on data.img when flashing a .tar in odin, and in this case you are bricked until a fix arrives.

-MY EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER INFO
Haven't seen anything on this yet for the E4GT, if there is I apologize and this thread may be closed. I am not taking any credit for any of this, I am simply giving people resources that are already available, PLEASE follow instructions and study, study, study before attempting any type of major change to your device. please thank the people mentioned in this thread. At the bottom of this thread you will see the major factor that have contributed to bricks. If I miss anything please let me know via pm or comment. If this helped you than pass it on.

We are seeing way too many hard bricks with the E4GT, most of them involve ICS (not the os itself but factors that come in to play when flashing, etc..). Many people believe this has to do with the way the different operating systems handle partitions, but others believe differently. I've created this thread to help relieve some of the bricks seen here on XDA and elsewhere.

-FLASHING ICS ROMS FROM GB W/O USING A ONE CLICK ODIN
I have had no issues flashing from a stock EL29 repacked kernel to ANY ICS rom, just be sure to WIPE EVERYTHING, multiple times (3 or 4) before flashing an ICS rom, or use Calkulins format all zip a few times. I've had the best luck with battery life wiping my battery stats before installing ICS, if you do this, it will take a few charges for your battery life to increase and properly calibrate with the new kernel/rom so give it time before complaining.

-LINK FOR ICS ONE CLICK ODIN-

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1658648

-LINK FOR FLASHING BACK TO GB-

Flashing back to GB from ICS is essentially the same method as going from GB to ICS so give sfhub a huge thanks for these packages. Below is the link with instructions to flash back to GB from ICS

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1433101

The above will flash you back to stock EL29 (with root) but you will not have cwm recovery, to get recovery back follow this method in the link below.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342728

-LINK TO AOSP BASED ROM FILES AND TUTORIAL BY QBKING77-

If you are flashing to CM9, AOKP, MIUI, CODENAME or other roms from AOSP from GB then follow QBKING77's link here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgtDyE3wfEo&list=UUbR6jJpva9VIIAHTse4C3hw&index=1&feature=plcp

THE VIDEO ABOVE SHOWS HOW TO FLASH AN AOSP-BASED ROM BY FLASHING CM7 FIRST (THE LONG WAY). A FASTER WAY TO FLASH AN AOSP ROM IS TO FLASH THE EL26 FOUND HERE http://www.mediafire.com/?hkydca9ob98z89m VIA PDA OPTION IN ODIN, THEN WHEN THE PHONE BEGINS TO REBOOT HOLD THE RECOVER BUTTONS (POWER + VOL UP) UNTIL YOUR IN RECOVERY. (READ INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS ON AOSP ROM, TYPICALLY IT'S AS FOLLOWS BUT NOT ALWAYS) WIPE DATA/ FACTORY RESET, WIPE CACHE, AND DELVIK CACHE, THEN FLASH ROM, THEN GAPPS. IF YOUR FIRST FLASH WAS REALLY FAST THEN FLASH THE ROM AGAIN RIGHT AFTER FIRST FLASH, THEN REBOOT.

If you are on ICS, you will need to ODIN back to GB before you can flash to CM9 or YOU WILL BRICK most likely.

----BRICKING SUSPECTS----

As I said before, I am not taking credit for any of this information it is all out there, I just put it all together to help prevent bricks, with this being said Please avoid the following when flashing ICS related roms

-If you are on ICS with an ICS kernel, DO NOT WIPE! this has the potential to brick your device (until source arrives, just have patience)
-Using a bad USB cable to ODIN back to GB from ICS
-Rom Manager
-Touch recovery
-avoid flashing any custom rom in stock ICS recovery
-avoid restoring a GB backup when running an ICS leak
-avoid restoring a ICS backup when running a GB rom
-OTHER ISSUES MAY SURROUND AOSP related roms (AOKP, CM9, etc) SO FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK, many people have bricked they're phone completely somehow attempting to flash back to GB from AOSP and get stuck on Data.img in ODIN. Some have been able to fix it by using a different cable or OC'ing back to a Stock rooted ICS rom, Flash at your own discretion and use the correct kernel or you will brick. Don't blame devs for your stupidity and inability to follow directions. If this occurs to you (download a fresh EL29 OC and try again) bad downloads happen sometimes.

I have flashed every ICS leak out including all aosp-type roms with absolutely no issues whatsoever. If you follow these directions your chances of avoiding a brick are almost certain, but they can still happen. DO NOT COME CRYING TO ME IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE FLASHING A ROM AND SAY "WELL I FOLLOWED YOUR DIRECTIONS" I WILL LAUGH AT YOU. THIS IS ADVICE, NOT A GUARANTEE, AND DOES NOT COME WITH A WARRANTY.

-If you wish to add anything helpful PM me, if I find your info relevant, I will add it to this thread and give you credit for it as well.

I know I've missed many things, but at the moment I'm blank, and haven't even proof-read this post so please no harshness, I drink a lot, and I'm tired ;)

have any one figure out how to unbrick from hard brick? Well...I would found this thread earlier..not I'm on hard brick....Yes, I can get in odim mode and odin custom kernel with CMW but when I go into to recovery it will not wipe but will install rom but it would boot up...only to the galaxy logo and stuck.......Let me know..I'm crying in the corner

garwynn

Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
have any one figure out how to unbrick from hard brick? Well...I would found this thread earlier..not I'm on hard brick....Yes, I can get in odim mode and odin custom kernel with CMW but when I go into to recovery it will not wipe but will install rom but it would boot up...only to the galaxy logo and stuck.......Let me know..I'm crying in the corner

Only solution at the moment is replacement, unfortunately. :(

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Reactions: K.0.0.L.

CtotheP

Nov 1, 2007
Thanks for the quick response......really appreciated. Does anyone have a recommendation for the bes Touchwiz rom?

xST4T1K

Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for the quick response......really appreciated. Does anyone have a recommendation for the bes Touchwiz rom?

No problem at all my friend. Depends on if you talking ICS TW or GB TW. For ICS I'm currently on Dazes Wicked Sensations rom and I love it so far. I've had it for several days now and I never keep a rom on my phone longer then 2 days. For GB I like Blazer 4.1, however because he added beats audio to the framework, I can no longer listen to all my audio formats, so if you like more of a stock experience go for Calks rom, or mijj'z blend rom. They both have the gunslinger kernel installed, so you'll need a oc app like SetCpu, or Tegrak to get the proper voltages and make it run smooth.

K.0.0.L.

Jun 16, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ASKING, OR STATING ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE TROLLED (BADLY)
    -YOU, AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU'RE ACTIONS. IF YOU FLASH AND BRICK YOU'RE PHONE, ONLY YOU ARE TO BLAME.
    Sorry guys it's been a while since I've been able to update this thread, I'm extremely glad to see that it's being used throughout the E4GT community. Well I guess it's time to update this so lets get started, and please forgive me if I miss anything as I have been on ICS mainly for a long time.

-Are you on a rom with a stock recovery or with a kernel released prior to SOURCE? Use Odin buddy!
    Just because we have source now, does not mean you can't still brick you're device. In fact many people are still on ICS builds prior to FF18 or newer, this includes people using stock kernels as well. Do not use the recovery on you're phone to do anything, The stock recovery is meant for files signed by Samsung and only Samsung, Roms prior to source with a custom recovery had the dreaded EMMC bug which would brick some people with a simple wipe. If any of the above applies to you and you wish to get back to GB or ICS then click on the following link that corresponds to you're desire and follow the steps.

EL29 One Click Link Below

ICS FF18 (Original ICS OTA update) Link Below

ICS FI27 (Newest ICS OTA update) Link Below

-After you install the .Tar file to you're phone, you'll need to install a custom recovery using a Auto Root Package found below, just follow the instructions. (use the FF18 Combo to install a custom recovery on the FI27 version)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342728
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Wanna flash to ICS from GB?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Simply pick the ICS rom you wish to use and flash using the OP's instructions. The issue of flashing to ICS from GB never really existed. If you are still worried about the risks of flashing to ICS, then use the Odin One Click method above and you're guaranteed fine.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

-Wanna Flash to GB from ICS?(includes restoring backups to GB roms too)
    This is where issues began to occur, prior to source release. The EMMC bug was present during the ICS leaks leading up to source release FF18 (FF18 OTA not being the issue). If you are on a rom which already contains a source kernel (FF18 and newer) Flashing to GB is the same as flashing to another rom, just follow the OP's instructions. If you're on a leaked rom with a stock recovery, or custom recovery, use the Odin One Click method to get back to GB or ICS. DO NOT WIPE IN NON-SOURCE KERNELS--- EVER

-Wanna Flash Good ol' CyanogenMod, or Something else AOSP?

Always use the EL26CWM kernel to flash AOSP roms. I myself, have flashed CyanogenMod 9 with multiple non-CWM kernels without issues, but better safe then sorry right? Thanks to rwilco12, we now have a repository for kernels, and modems so give him a big thanks. You can find the EL26 CWM kernel here.

http://rwilco12.androidfilehost.com/?dir=Kernels/Recovery Kernels/GB/Chris41g/Stock CWM

Simply download the rom you wish to flash, as well as the EL26CWM kernel. Flash the kernel, and reboot back into the recovery. When you're phone restarts back into recovery press up, down, up, down with you're volume buttons to enable the selection button (power on/off button). Now flash the rom USING THE RECOMMENDED FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS. Instructions of roms may differ from others so be sure to read the Original Post by the dev before flashing.

-Are you on an AOSP rom and you wish to flash to a TW rom or other?
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Follow the same instructions for flashing to an AOSP rom, except replace the AOSP rom with the rom of you're choice. You can also use the One Click Odin Method from before. I have used both of these methods for flashing a different rom while on AOSP multiple times without any issues whatsoever.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Bricking Info

MISC
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    -Stick with source kernels and you should be safe
    -Stay away from touch recovery, unless it's source-based
    -Stay away from Rom manager, It's not, and probably never will be optimized for our phone

-Thanks
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Calkulin, Mijj,all of Team Venom, all of Team Rejectz, agat, good ol' ruj22, rwilco12, garwynn, Ja5on for the title, all devs, and themers
    IMO most people actually do read. However we get a skewed view because the ones who successfully installed don't post a new thread saying yay, I flashed ICS successfully, or yay, I just rooted my phone. The ones that post the new threads are the ones saying I just bricked my phone, sometimes not even understanding what that means since in their eyes not booting equals brick.

There are so many people with this phone though that if just 5% don't read before doing things it will seem like a lot of people don't read, despite 95% being careful. 5% of 100 users is just 5 "brick" posts. 5% of 1000000 users could be 50,000 posts.

I am obviously just making up the numbers to illustrate a point and don't claim any accuracy. This is just my opinion based on maintaining the Auto Root thread where I do actually see people posting success stories.

While there are good percentage of bricks from newbies, ironically, quite a few are also from experienced users who are coming from other platforms where things were done differently. While many newbies are naturally a little cautious in the beginning, if you have experience on other Android phones, that may give you confidence to skim instructions rather than reading them through. Also you might be used to tools from your past platform which aren't that well tested on Epic 4G Touch.

Until the last month I've actually never seen so many people pushing ROM Manager as their tool of choice. I just chalk it up to all the Evo users coming off their 2yr contracts and jumping to Samsung.

Then you have the excitement over ICS and people not realizing that Intl GS2 is not the same thing as Epic 4G Touch. People got tempted by the Apple.
    So, let me make sure I have this right, at least based on everything I have read:

ICS (particularly Linux 3 kernel) + Non-ODIN partitioning solution currently is bad news.

GB + any partitioning solution (CWM, CWMT, ODIN, MODIN) - G2G

ICS + ODIN - GTG.

If so then it would seem as long as I stay with stock ROMs that can be flashed by ODIN OC then I might be willing to try FC07 + Rooted as I can always go back to EL29 + Rooted.

Well to clarify, CWM doesn't do any partitioning. CWM only formats/wipes partitions. Partitioning is only done in Odin, when a PIT (Partition Information Table) file is used while flashing.

The brick problem appears to be occurring when you wipe/format data using CWM while on a ICS kernel. The problem seems to be more pervasive when formatting data using Temp CWM via ROM Manager, Touch CWM, and when on experimental CM9. This last one (CM9) may be a placebo, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. CM9 is the ROM, and when formatting with a Rogue CWM repack for example, I would think brick frequency would be the same as with a Samsung ICS leak. But from my observations, hard brick events seem to happen much more often when people are working with a CM9 build. I don't know what it is about CM9 but I just see more brick reports coming from that area.

So ...

GB to anything else via CWM that involves a data format = FINE

ICS to anything else via CWM that involves a data format = Potential Hard Brick

ICS to anything else via Odin = FINE

I'll be operating by this simple set of guidelines until this **** gets figured out or magically goes away.
    This is great to see before I start flashing thank you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    I would like to say thank you and Greetings from me

sorry if I'm annoying and disrespectful inquire post message here, because I was so frustrated, I am a new user and is ignorant and blind to the android.

I just bought E4GT from the local market, with the android version ICS FI27,
    then through youtube QBking77 I did root and install CWM.
    because I am interested in the version leaked JB FK09 via youtube Qbking77 well,
    then I do flashing odin FK09 as exemplified in youtube by QBking77.
    without nanbackup or anythink. ( i think it was savely because i had installed CWM before)

in one day E4GT running smoothly and normally,
    but after that my E4GT hangs and reboots continue turn off the E4GT.
    so continue again and again.

what should I do? flashing my E4GT JB FK09 to GB EL29 ?
    I have been downloaded tar EL29, wanna do flash odin and follow the instructions there.
    however, when downloaded mode on my E4GT, on window flash restore odi EL29 on my PC show no response,
    did not show any indication "com/USB" or anything.

I had previously installed the usb driver and Kies software and have communication between the PC and the E4GT.
    there is no problem/issue with PC connection before.

I was expecting and is waiting for your advice, what should I do?

help from you so I would expect,

I say once again apologize profusely if I am intruding.

i very appreciate and thankfull for any help.

Thank you so much.

One thing you can try is leaving the phone unplugged, put it in odin (download) mode, go ahead and start pc Odin, Then connect your phone to pc and see if you get com port recognition. I have one laptop that I gave to do that with.
    Try it and see.
    Otherwise, you may have to uninstall then reinstall kies and drivers.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2