[Q] confused to no end, once i get this this going i am not messing with it

Search This thread

d73jester

Mar 27, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Breakdown:
Was rooted with twrp recover running jellywizmj9
Accidently installed ota 4.3 firmware and got stuck in a bootloop
I managed somehow to the other day to install the stock rom that was rooted but then attempted to unlock the bootloader so I could reinstall trwp and custom roms again. This is were things fell apart.
Prior to trying to unlock the bootloader I had the following on the phone (trying to recall exactly from memory) Android version 4.1.1 and baseband vraljb
Using odn3 v3.07
I have flashed the pit file successfully
I have flashed root66_vzw_stock_system.tar.md5 successfully
---- still locked on boot screen
VRALJB fails in sboot.in
And WAMC3 says its unsupported version
In my oden mode the screen says:
Product name: sch-i605
Custom binary downloads: no
Current binary: Samsung official
System status: custom
Know warranty void: 0
RP swrev: A2
I have tried removing the sim card and sd card resetting phone I think I tried it all.
Right now I will settle for a functioning phone. Rooted or unrooted, bootloader or not. I just want my phone functioning again.

d73jester

Mar 27, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
ok here is a solution that i found on xda. since i downloaded 4.3 i screwed myself until someone comes up with an unlocker for bootloader. I had to install vzwemj9. the phone is now working and is rooted still.

With this being said with the phone being rooted is there any way outside of the bootloader to install custom roms?

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
ok here is a solution that i found on xda. since i downloaded 4.3 i screwed myself until someone comes up with an unlocker for bootloader. I had to install vzwemj9. the phone is now working and is rooted still.

With this being said with the phone being rooted is there any way outside of the bootloader to install custom roms?

If you used ODIN to restore to stock 4.3 MJ9, then I'm confused how you're still rooted. Did you root it with saferoot?

If it's rooted, you should be able to flash custom ROM's with safestrap. Check it this thread on Safestrap..... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51616723

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

d73jester

Mar 27, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
If you used ODIN to restore to stock 4.3 MJ9, then I'm confused how you're still rooted. Did you root it with saferoot?

If it's rooted, you should be able to flash custom ROM's with safestrap. Check it this thread on Safestrap..... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51616723

the only way that i can tell that i am rooted is that super user is installed. ok after further investigation the program is there but there is no SU binary installed. it says i manually need to reroot. can i use safestrap for that?

Last edited:

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
the only way that i can tell that i am rooted is that super user is installed. ok after further investigation the program is there but there is no SU binary installed. it says i manually need to reroot. can i use safestrap for that?

Yep. You should be able to root 4.3 MJ9 with saferoot. Here's the link to saferoot-- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48392009. If you have data and apps leftover from before you restored, it sounds like everything might not have got wiped with the factory restore. Did you use Droidstyle's guide to restore? You might see if a factory reset from within the settings of the stock ROM would wipe everything.... and you could also try to do another Odin restore.

d73jester

Mar 27, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Yep. You should be able to root 4.3 MJ9 with saferoot. Here's the link to saferoot-- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48392009. If you have data and apps leftover from before you restored, it sounds like everything might not have got wiped with the factory restore. Did you use Droidstyle's guide to restore? You might see if a factory reset from within the settings of the stock ROM would wipe everything.... and you could also try to do another Odin restore.

I tried using saferoot to root my note 2 but i got a failed message
"Your kernel is patched!
This device is not supported."

looking at my phone i am running
se.infra@r0301-12 #1
Thur April 10 12:46:30 KST 2014

how can i downgrade my kernel so that i can root my phone?

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
I tried using saferoot to root my note 2 but i got a failed message
"Your kernel is patched!
This device is not supported."

looking at my phone i am running
se.infra@r0301-12 #1
Thur April 10 12:46:30 KST 2014

how can i downgrade my kernel so that i can root my phone?

It sounds like you took the OTA update to the recent 4.3 VRUAND3 build, which doesn't work with saferoot. Others have had success using ODIN to revert back to 4.3 VRUEMJ9. You can use Droidstyle's guide to restore back to factory stock MJ9.... from there, you should be able to use saferoot on MJ9 to get root access.

This thread discusses the issue I am talking about.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52764286&highlight=sdm#post52764286

d73jester

Mar 27, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
It sounds like you took the OTA update to the recent 4.3 VRUAND3 build, which doesn't work with saferoot. Others have had success using ODIN to revert back to 4.3 VRUEMJ9. You can use Droidstyle's guide to restore back to factory stock MJ9.... from there, you should be able to use saferoot on MJ9 to get root access.

This thread discusses the issue I am talking about.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52764286&highlight=sdm#post52764286

Thanks,

I will try it this afternoon.... I miss my Root and custom roms. :(

mattnmag

Feb 6, 2013
Glad to hear that you were able to get it restored back to MJ9 and get it rooted again. :thumbup: