[MOD][XPOSED] Fire TV Mods by rbox

Search This thread
Jan 10, 2009
I have been using the alternate launcher with SPMC launcher and usb to data script flashed using a SSD successfully for some time. Recently SPMC was running slow so I rebooted the FTV. Now it will not boot past the colorful amazon splash screen. Figuring something was corrupted I imaged the drive to preserve as much of my setup I could. Is there something I can manually do to the files on my drive to disable the alternate launcher and try to get to the stock launcher?

Thanks
Dave

LakersFan_73

Jun 1, 2014
I personally don't mind the top banner, as it's directed towards Fire TV products. However as I know you may eventually add more features to this great addon, I'll ask now... Can you make it an option to show or hide the banner in the "Hide Menu Items" category? It's not a deal breaker either way, just checking....

Thank you.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I personally don't mind the top banner, as it's directed towards Fire TV products. However as I know you may eventually add more features to this great addon, I'll ask now... Can you make it an option to show or hide the banner in the "Hide Menu Items" category? It's not a deal breaker either way, just checking....

Thank you.

Yeah, I could probably do that. I'll look into it.

Reactions: LakersFan_73

getmoneygreen

Jul 3, 2011
Boogie Down
I updated the OP with version 1.4 to hide those annoying ads on the main screen.

hey rbox thank you soo much for the mods i really enjoy your work i have one question more like a problem. Once i installed your 1.4 mod i lost the ability of having my box go to sleep fyi I'm running elmerohueso kodi launcher should i revert back to 1.3 or is there a work around. thanks in advance

edit: got it to work apparently it was a bad download :/

Last edited:

tavery

Jun 7, 2014
Was working, but I messed it up badly, please help...

I fiI had the Xposed modules working perfectly since they were first released. However, I managed to screw up my FireTV trying to free-up some space by deleting what I thought were backup copies of application apk's with ES File Explorer. Turns out they were required. Save me the lecturing please, trust me, I've learned my lesson :) . I re-installed the latest pre-rooted ROM and had to reinstall my apps (even though it thought they were still sort of installed) and got everything working except Xposed. I have tried installing every version of it at least 3 times, rebooting, uninstalling via the adb shell, installing with different methods (adb console, AGK Fire, abdfire) but Xposed will not show in the programs list no matter what I try. Hoping someone may have an idea on how to fix it other than reset to defaults which basically writes-off another evening. Thanks!

Last edited:

spyder3

Apr 14, 2012
Do I need to uninstall any Xposed modules or the installer to revert back to stock?

moeduss

Feb 19, 2012
Do I need to uninstall any Xposed modules or the installer to revert back to stock?

You can try getting agk fire apk for you phone or tablet and install exposed from your phone, with this app you can side load any of the apps that are installed on your phone or tablet I use it all the time for my fire TVs when I want to add to my apps, you can even unusual them with it. You can find the app on the Amazon store.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk 2

Fgarcor

Feb 3, 2011
I have the same problem. Fresh installed 51.1.5.3 and although the HDXPosed-1.3.apk is installed, it doesn't show in the Applications of the Fire TV menu. So I cannot install it.

Fgarcor

Feb 3, 2011
It will never do, go to settings- manage application and it should be three.
Yes, that is where I mean. In previous versions of the fire TV, I could sideload it and it would show up there. For example in the 51.1.3. However in the 51.1.5 other side loaded applications like kodi are there but not this one. Strange... No idea what to do. The only thing that comes to my mind I'd to find the activity inside the package and launch it via command line. Any other suggestion?

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Yes, that is where I mean. In previous versions of the fire TV, I could sideload it and it would show up there. For example in the 51.1.3. However in the 51.1.5 other side loaded applications like kodi are there but not this one. Strange... No idea what to do. The only thing that comes to my mind I'd to find the activity inside the package and launch it via command line. Any other suggestion?

This might be irrelevant but why would you need to access this app? Ive always used it but couldn't even tell you if it shows up under manage applications. Are there extra modifications you can make?

Fgarcor

Feb 3, 2011
Just to launch it. Aren't the modules managed from inside? I need to select rbox module. Or how do you select an Exposed module? Maybe something has changed in the latest versions.

moeduss

Feb 19, 2012
Just to launch it. Aren't the modules managed from inside? I need to select rbox module. Or how do you select an Exposed module? Maybe something has changed in the latest versions.

If you have not tried the agk fire app from the Amazon store you should give that a try, you can side load apps, you can uninstall apps and you can see all the apps on your fire TV or stick with it. I use it all the time and it is the easiest way to side load apps that I've used. You don't even have to download apps of you have them on your phone or tablet you can push them right to your device and they install at the same time, or if you have the app on your sd card you can push it as a file and then use your file explorer to locate it and install it.

Fgarcor

Feb 3, 2011
If you have not tried the agk fire app from the Amazon store you should give that a try, you can side load apps, you can uninstall apps and you can see all the apps on your fire TV or stick with it. I use it all the time and it is the easiest way to side load apps that I've used. You don't even have to download apps of you have them on your phone or tablet you can push them right to your device and they install at the same time, or if you have the app on your sd card you can push it as a file and then use your file explorer to locate it and install it.

I will try that, thanks!

ewookie

Apr 27, 2011
Root required?

i think the answer is 'yes' but i want to be sure. i only want to use the alternative launcher.

Nesmaster75

Jul 12, 2015
Hi all,

I've never had a problem with my Fire TV or Xposed, but after having Google Play keep crashing on me lately, I found out it was due to version 2.6.1 of Xposed, and needs to be on 2.5.1. However, whenever I try to install 2.5.1 after successfully downloading it, I get an error message "App not installed". I've tried uninstalling Xposed and re-installing it, but I keep getting the same problem. Coming here and asking for help was a last resort, and I am absolutely baffled right now. Thank you for your help!

I_did_it_just_tmrrow

Feb 27, 2011
Last edited:

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Is it perhaps possible to fix the "format mass storage" dialog with a xposed mod?
This would be very nice.

Here is a thread about it but we got help until now:
[Q] Disable USB Mass Storage detection in recent firmwares

Probably. Once I release Fire OS 5 update, let me know if it's still a problem and I'll need a screenshot and I'll look in to it.

And another topic for me is how to create a share-mount-point from my nas:
[Q] How can mount SMB(cifs.ko) to local file system on AFTV?

Could xposed be helpfull for thoose problems?

Greetings by Idijt

When amazon releases full kernel source for the Fire OS 5 update, I could probably compile the cifs module.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a collection of Fire TV mods using Xposed. It requires that you are on software version 51.1.4.0 or newer. It currently contains:

• AlternateLauncher: This will start an alternate launcher instead of the Amazon one. It will load when the Fire TV starts and anytime you push the home button. The way this is done is a little hokey and there is currently no way to turn it off or select which launcher you want, so if you have more than one, the one that gets started is it.
    • HideAmazonMenuItems: Gives a settings menu to select which menu items to show.
    • HideLauncherAds: Hide the ad at the top of the Home screen.
    • KeyBindings: Allows any key to start any app.
    • RecentsOnMenuLong: Bring up the recents dialog when long pressing the home button.
    HideAmazonMenuItems:
    In order to do this, I had to hijack an existing Settings item, so the Help option is gone and I put a 'Menu Items' option at the beginning of the settings list. You can turn on/off any item except Home and Settings. After making changes you must reboot to see the changes.

KeyBindings:
    Someone requested this, but doing a UI for it would be too complicated, and I figured I'd put the feature out there for people to use, and eventually get around to making a UI for it. For now, you'll have to configure it manually. Create a file called key_bindings.xml and make it look like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F1">org.chromium.content_shell_apk</string>
    <string name="KEYCODE_F2_LONG">com.pandora.android.gtv</string>
    </map>

You can have as many entries as you like. You can find the KEYCODE names listed here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html To set up a long press key put _LONG at the end of the key name. The other part is the package name you wish to start, org.chromium.content_shell_apk is Netflix. Then just adb push key_bindings.xml /sdcard/ and reboot. And it should start whatever app you specified when pressing that button. Do note that the button will not longer do whatever else it used to do. So if you bind ENTER to something, it will not longer function normally. By default, long press on home will launch the recents dialog. If you set up KEYCODE_HOME_LONG, it will override that behavior.

Starting with 51.1.5.0, Amazon provides a shortcut menu on home long press. If you would like to retain this functionality, you can use this key_bindings.xml file (Thanks to @Firef0xx819):
    Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <map>
    <string name="KEYCODE_HOME_LONG"></string>
    </map>

Please let me know if you have any issues. One problem I know of is that it doesn't seem to show up in the list of applications, so if you want to uninstall it you need to use adb, ssh, or a terminal using the command pm uninstall rbox.xposed.firetvmods

Source code: https://github.com/androidrbox/RboxFireTvMods/

Changelog and Downloads:
    • 1.4: Added HideLauncherAds
    • 1.3: Fix HideAmazonMenuItems for 51.1.4.0.
    • 1.2: Allow KeyBindings to support long press keys
    • 1.1: Added HideAmazonMenuItems, KeyBindings, and RecentsOnMenuLong
    • 1.0: Initial version
    Update. xposed installed fine. The problem was the result of using an out of date apk. That is fixed.

I am still having trouble with RBox's mods. Has anyone else had any success?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also RBox is the The Man. Thanks again for all you have done over the past year.

I don't imagine any part of it works still. I'll have to redo it all probably.
    I updated the OP with version 1.4 to hide those annoying ads on the main screen.
    Hi rbox,
    Thanks much for your hard work, and the great tools you've provided for us. Is this the best place to look for updates on the menu items issue? I updated the firmware to get the new Netflix app, but I really miss the menu items fix!

Thanks.

I just updated the OP with 1.3 which fixes the menu items in 51.1.4.0.
    Can you or anybody tell if it run with a KingRoot Fire OS 5 FireTV box gen1?

Greetings by Idijt

So this module is pretty busted in FireOS5. Not to mention the fact that you really should only be installing Xposed with recovery, which I haven't released for KingRoot rooted boxes yet. Once I get recovery for firetv1 done, I'm moving on to Fire Stick. Then once that is all done, I will revisit this module.