[APP] Windows Mobile SenseTimeTracker

Search This thread

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
On CodePlex I have published my app for tracking working time.
It is based on the SenseUI SDK.

SenseTimeTracker

For furter feature development either this thread can be used or the discussions in CodePlex.

After getting some feedback according to installation problems, I figured out, that the deployed .cab file does not contain the SQL Server Compact 3.5.
This has to be installed manually until I do not provide a msi-setup.

Explanation on how to install the .NET Compact Framwork 3.5 and/or the SQL Server Compact 3.5 has been added on the CodePlex page.

Version history:

Version 1.3
* Length checking of input fields
* Bug fixed with reports when first time card has date in january
* Issue with localization fixed
* Category edit form localized
* Creating new category did throw an excexption
* Default category is hidden in category list

Version 1.2
* cab file now creates a shortcut
* new version detection added

Version 1.1
* Initial release after UI redesign

Last edited:

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
Installation Procedure

Hi, Could you explain the Installation procedure, other than download and install is there any other additional requirement to get this program up and running?

Thanks

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Download the cab file, copy to your mobile device and run it from there.
This shall install SenseTimeTracker on you mobile device.

Let me know if it doesn't, since it is my first publishing. I only installed it on my device or the emulator.

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
Test

OK! I downloaded you app, installed and found the following problem, btw I am on a Blackstone using G10 Dusk Ultimate 2 v 8.31

1) There is no icon present for your apps in the programs menu.

I went to programs found the your app and try starting it from there, I got the following error

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.jpg
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 180

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Ok, SQL server was not deployed. I will try to fix this and provide an update.
On my devices there has been SQLCE installed, so I didn't recognize it.

Thanks for the hint.

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
OK! I downloaded you app, installed and found the following problem, btw I am on a Blackstone using G10 Dusk Ultimate 2 v 8.31

1) There is no icon present for your apps in the programs menu.

I went to programs found the your app and try starting it from there, I got the following error

You have to install the SQL Server Compact manually, sorry.
See my explanation in CodePlex.

Hi I downloaded and follow your instructions regarding the installation process and got the top half of the error I posted above when I tried starting the apps also no icon was installed in programs menu I tried it on G10 Ultimate 2 v8.40 release today

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
The icon issue I couldn't check yesterday, will do that asap. Did a lot of research how to deploy SQL Server Compact.
But could you run the app?

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
That makes no sense since allways an explanation of the exception is displayed.
If you installed the SQL Server Compact, can you try to delete the whole SenseTimeTracker folder in the program as well as in the documents directory (if there is one) and reinstall the cab again.

I checked this yesterday on a clean emulator and it worked. So without any further hints I cannot guess the problem.

Are you familar with developing smart device aps. Then I can send you the project for visual studio and you can try to deploy it from within VS. That shall work. Let me know.

I suggest to contact me via pm, I will help you to fix your problem.

Last edited:

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
That makes no sense since allways an explanation of the exception is displayed.
If you installed the SQL Server Compact, can you try to delete the whole SenseTimeTracker folder in the program as well as in the documents directory (if there is one) and reinstall the cab again.

I checked this yesterday on a clean emulator and it worked. So without any further hints I cannot guess the problem.

Are you familar with developing smart device aps. Then I can send you the project for visual studio and you can try to deploy it from within VS. That shall work. Let me know.

I suggest to contact me via pm, I will help you to fix your problem.

Hi, I flashed an orginal HD rom, installed net, sql and then your apps went to programs and started timetracker and it worked, I reflashed a cooked rom did the installation and it also worked I tried entering some information I got some error that require me to restart timetracker one of the error is attached, I will flash G10 rom again as this is my rom of choice and I will let you know how that went
I must say thanks for what I have seen so far if I get it working on G10 rom I will do some more in dept testing.

Thanks again for sharing

Attachments

• ScreenShot1.jpg
    ScreenShot1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 38

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Ok, I see, it has nothing to do with your ROM.

I think there is a bug with the categories which only occurs on an empty/fresh database. On my tests I've had everytome a filled one, since I implemented category support later on.

I had some minutes to try it on a fresh installtion. Unfortunatly I cannot reproduce this bug. Can you plz provide more info, what in which order you entered for getting this error. I first created a user which is mandatory. Then created a client, then a project for that client and then a task for that project. Now entering a timecard did work, since the default category ("unknown") was used. The error you've got is a key violation between task and category. This should not occour, but I need to know in what order you entered the data.

Last edited:

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
Ok, I see, it has nothing to do with your ROM.

I think there is a bug with the categories which only occurs on an empty/fresh database. On my tests I've had everytome a filled one, since I implemented category support later on.

I had some minutes to try it on a fresh installtion. Unfortunatly I cannot reproduce this bug. Can you plz provide more info, what in which order you entered for getting this error. I first created a user which is mandatory. Then created a client, then a project for that client and then a task for that project. Now entering a timecard did work, since the default category ("unknown") was used. The error you've got is a key violation between task and category. This should not occour, but I need to know in what order you entered the data.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was trying some other roms but no luck getting this app to work on those other roms that I flash, for me its only working on stock and Energy GTX I am presently downloading a 6.5 rom to test all others has been 6.5.x.
I have been able to reproduce the error again and again, try this
Go to category select new and create a new category everything should be ok, create another one and it should crash, also I am unable to edit the category "unknown"

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
More Crashes

Hi, I did some more test and I got more errors I have attach one picture, let me try to explain
1) If I try to copy the TimCard it crashes
2) TaskName is to long it crahes
I got a couple more crashes but I forgot where in the apps they occour however it seems that is not handling user input error well maybe a dialog box should appear and tell the user that the TaskName is to long or something like that I also think you should try and test if all but most of the option like copy, remove, edit, maybe it my rom related but you could still check just to be sure.

Attachments

• ScreenShot10.jpg
    ScreenShot10.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 12

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Thx again for the responses.

Couls get it allready run with the other ROMs? I have no opinion about these ROMs. I do not use any special functiuons, it is only .Net-code. The only explanation I have would be that there are problems with drawing. Bit this is done by the SenseUI framework which I cannot modify or debug.

Now to the issues.
The Category issue I could allready fix for me, will update it soon. Dont use categores for the mean while, use only "Unknow". You can change it later when it works. The "Unknow" category should not be editable, I will hide it in the next release.

The issue with the task names beeing too long is a bit more difficult to fix, I'll try to find a solution (need a common one since this will be happen with all inputs).

For the issue with copying a time card, I need a screendum of the error. I use copying of time cards allmost every day and never had problems. So it should be some special in your entries. If I have the error output, I hope to have an idea.

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
Thx again for the responses.

Couls get it allready run with the other ROMs? I have no opinion about these ROMs. I do not use any special functiuons, it is only .Net-code. The only explanation I have would be that there are problems with drawing. Bit this is done by the SenseUI framework which I cannot modify or debug.

Now to the issues.
The Category issue I could allready fix for me, will update it soon. Dont use categores for the mean while, use only "Unknow". You can change it later when it works. The "Unknow" category should not be editable, I will hide it in the next release.

The issue with the task names beeing too long is a bit more difficult to fix, I'll try to find a solution (need a common one since this will be happen with all inputs).

For the issue with copying a time card, I need a screendum of the error. I use copying of time cards allmost every day and never had problems. So it should be some special in your entries. If I have the error output, I hope to have an idea.

Hi, I have flashed back to my rom of choice as I need it for work, I also used an apps name Pocket Time, I was hoping to get your working as your is mor mordern and has more options, anyway I will be able to test your program again this weekend and I its working for me I will change my rom and start using your apps I like it.:)
I have attach the detail section or the Task Name error for you to look at also I have attach the error and the error detail section of G10 rom maybe from those pictures you can figrue why it dosent start

The last five is from G10

Thanks

Attachments

• ScreenShot11.jpg
    ScreenShot11.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ScreenShot12.jpg
    ScreenShot12.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 16
  • ScreenShot13.jpg
    ScreenShot13.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 12
  • G10.jpg
    G10.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 12
  • G10-1.jpg
    G10-1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6
  • G10-2.jpg
    G10-2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 9
  • G10-3.jpg
    G10-3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6
  • G10-4.jpg
    G10-4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
Thx for the dumps.

As I allready wrote, the problem with the length of the description is a common problem. I did know, that it wasn't checked. I will release a new version today (1.3) which supports those checks.

The other problem has something to do with the serialisation/deserialisation of the user settings. These are stored in an XML-file in the application directory. And it seems, that the existing date time format has problems.

Is the language of your G10 ROM a different than the default ROM? I assume, you have created the XML the first time with on ROM and now trying to read it with another on. And the DateTime format of both are different and cannot be parsed.
Try to delete the xml-file in the app directory and start the app again with the G10 ROM. Let me know, if this solved the problem. May be I can then find a solution therefor. If you delete the xml-File, you will be asked for selecting a user. Select you previous eneterd user. If you navigate away from the user panel, you will be asked for the password you entered previously.

If you not allready entered sensitive data, you can send my the database (sdf-file) and the xml-file. Then I can try to debug it. I've had a lokk into the xml-file and saw there are only two time fields where the time is entered as 8:00:00 and 17:00:00. If this format is not valid on your ROM due to another culture, then this may cause the error you posted. What is the usual time format on your country?

Then I have a question according this ROM. The error occurs in Deserialize while reading a DateTime value. I have a try-parse in the deserializing section. So no exception should be thrown by the app. If there is an error in the XML file, defaults are used. I did try this on my device and ti worked that way. So I really do not know, why the exception is thrown. Ist there any special in your ROM handling exceptions?

Last edited:

zjxpot

Mar 4, 2009
Mayaro
OnePlus 6T
Thx for the dumps.

As I allready wrote, the problem with the length of the description is a common problem. I did know, that it wasn't checked. I will release a new version today (1.3) which supports those checks.

The other problem has something to do with the serialisation/deserialisation of the user settings. These are stored in an XML-file in the application directory. And it seems, that the existing date time format has problems.

Is the language of your G10 ROM a different than the default ROM? I assume, you have created the XML the first time with on ROM and now trying to read it with another on. And the DateTime format of both are different and cannot be parsed.
Try to delete the xml-file in the app directory and start the app again with the G10 ROM. Let me know, if this solved the problem. May be I can then find a solution therefor. If you delete the xml-File, you will be asked for selecting a user. Select you previous eneterd user. If you navigate away from the user panel, you will be asked for the password you entered previously.

If you not allready entered sensitive data, you can send my the database (sdf-file) and the xml-file. Then I can try to debug it. I've had a lokk into the xml-file and saw there are only two time fields where the time is entered as 8:00:00 and 17:00:00. If this format is not valid on your ROM due to another culture, then this may cause the error you posted. What is the usual time format on your country?

Then I have a question according this ROM. The error occurs in Deserialize while reading a DateTime value. I have a try-parse in the deserializing section. So no exception should be thrown by the app. If there is an error in the XML file, defaults are used. I did try this on my device and ti worked that way. So I really do not know, why the exception is thrown. Ist there any special in your ROM handling exceptions?
Hi, I am using the original G10 WWE Ultimate 2 v8.31 rom out of the box in fact all the ROM I have tried this app on has been out of the box, will try flashing and trying your app again this weekend.

Are you using your app on an original stock rom or a cooked rom?

wesch00

Mar 3, 2010
Berlin
I'm using the app on the updated but original HTC ROM. But it did also work on the nonupdated.

The description of you exception shows me, that the problem has something to do with the localized date time format. What localizaion do you use. And I think you've got it allready running with another ROM. What localization do you have there?

What I totally do not understand, in my opinion there should not be thrown an exception, since serialization is done within a try/catch block. If there is an deserialization error, it should be catched and defaults should be used, which I have testet.