Boot loop problem

Search This thread

spazlon

Oct 15, 2007
Hello,

I tried installing a custom ROM on my 7310 and it had issues. I have tried installing the original ICS from the sammyfirmware site using ODIN. Now I have a boot loop. I think I need to repartition, but when I click the repartition checkbox in ODIN I get an error.

Do I need to repartition? If so, how do I do it? If not, how do I fix this error?

Thanks.

boscorama

May 27, 2012
A few questions:

I tried installing a custom ROM on my 7310 and it had issues.

What did you try to flash and how did you try doing it (CWM, ODIN, ...)?

What 'issues'?

I have tried installing the original ICS from the sammyfirmware site using ODIN. Now I have a boot loop.

How far into the boot sequence does it get?

Are you able to get into recovery?

If so, what recovery do you have (Stock vs CWM)?

Have you tried seeing what is causing the boot-loop using adb?

Do I need to repartition? If so, how do I do it? If not, how do I fix this error?

This is an action of last resort. Exhaust all other avenues first.

spazlon

Oct 15, 2007
What did you try to flash and how did you try doing it (CWM, ODIN, ...)?

What 'issues'?

I used CWM to flash AOSP 4.1.2. It seemed to work fine for a day or two, but then it needed charging (as normal). I let it charge over night and in the morning it had less battery. I figured the charger or cable were flaky so I tried another set on another outlet and same thing. Then it finally ran out of battery. I let it charge again over night and when I tried to turn it on it was really slow. The boot animation was only 1 frame every couple seconds. It would eventually boot all the way up, but it was still REALLY slow. So I went into CWM and reflashed the same ROM. Then I got a boot loop of the boot animation. I couldn't get into CWM any more, so then I went into download mode and flashed the official firmware and flashed it with ODIN.

How far into the boot sequence does it get?

Now when I turn it on it just says, "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

I can flash again with ODIN and it will get to the Samsung boot animation and just pulse SAMSUNG.

Are you able to get into recovery?

If so, what recovery do you have (Stock vs CWM)?

If I hold power and volume down I can get into download mode or Samsung recovery, not CWM, and power with volume up doesn't do anything.

Have you tried seeing what is causing the boot-loop using adb?

I don't know anything about adb and I'm not sure what I would be looking for. Is there a tutorial I can follow somewhere?

Thanks for any help!

mobjunky

Oct 6, 2012
This worked for me with similar problem

Hi Spazlon,

Sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet as I am also very fresh. But I've underlined the addresses so you should be able to find them

I just spent the best of 2 days trying to solve a similar issue - my 8.9 P7300 kept running in boot loop. It had been running ICS stable for several weeks, then suddenly started to loop boot for no good reason. Anyway - you need two programs installed on your computer as well as USB drivers for your tablet. The two programs are Odin and SDK developer package. Odin3 v 1,87 and 1.85 are found here: filecrop.com/Odin-1.87 - try some of the links, one of them should work without having to type a password. The SDK is found here: developer.android.com/sdk You can find more about how to use the developer package on that site as well, but I installed as support for Android 2.1 through to 4.1

Also install the USB driver files for your tablet on your PC. For example from here: xpdrivers.com/usb/_1_24.cfm?gclid=CL2o_OiDs7MCFWF7cAodxFYANQ

You also need the following recovery files which you can find by searching the developer forum for galaxy tab 8.9:
ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar
P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar
Clockwork_Recovery_6.0.0.8_GT-P7300.zip
and finally a ROM of your choice, for example the ICS rom cm-9-20121028-NIGHTLY-p5.zip that I just used. You can find the latest official ICS ROM's here get.cm/?device=p5

Now - hold down the volume down button on one of the boot cycles. You should now get into a menu with two choices - Download and Recovery. Default is "Download" - if you press volume down you switch between the two choices. Press volume up to select the choice you want.

First you want to select the "Download" option. Then connect your tablet to your PC. The drivers should now install and your tablet should read that you are connected.

Now start Odin3. Click the PDA button and select your P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar file. Then press Start.
Once finished the tablet will reboot, and you now need to once again get into the recovery menu. Now select the recovery option, not the download menu. You get into the stock recovery menu where you navigate with the volume buttons and select choices with the power button. Do a full factory reset and wipe the cache. WARNING - you will loose ALL your data, but it'either that or stick to a bricked tablet so.... You will also loose your root access,m which is why the next step is needed.

Now that everything is wiped clean you can use Odin again in "download mode" to install ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar with the same procedure as before. You now have root access.

Reboot again and once again into the recovery mode (not download mode). Once you get into the CWM recovery menu you are ready for the final step, which is to install your new operating system.

Go to your SDK installation folder and find the folder named "platform-tools".

First you want to copy two files into this folder (provided you want to install Cynaogen Mod 9):
and
Your ROM file of choice

Press shift and right-click in that folder and select "Open command window here". In the command prompt write

adb shell

Note - I had some problems here which was caused by lack of permissions. On your tablet in the CWM menu there should be a choice under the advanced menu for fixing permissions. Use that and you should be able to get into the terminal shell afterwards with the adb shell command

Now write the following command sequence:
• mount /data (don't worry if you get an error message - it means the folder is already mounted)
• cd /data
• mkdir media (if you get an error message saying the folder already exists, that's also OK!)
• exit
• adb push Clockwork_Recovery_6.0.0.8_GT-P7300.zip /data/media

Now you may have to wait a little while until your command prompt is back confirming that the file was uploaded.

Now on your tablet go to the menu point "install zip from sdcard" and find your CWM file that you just uploaded and run that.

Reboot once again into the "recovery mode" - we are now nearly finished.

Run the above push command again from the computer terminal window, this time to upload the ROM file you want to install. (the command is adb push [filename].zip /data/media)

Now on your CWM recovery menu once again run the zip file you just uploaded from the "install zip from sdcard" menu

When completed and you now reboot you should have a completely fresh android installation. Hope this helps.

Remember to mark this thread with solved if it works!

Thanks to kallt_kaffe and all the others who helped me through their various posts (hope that coffee isn't getting too cold again), as well as the following web sites that indirectly helped me resolve this issue googleymind.com/2011/11/guide-so-you-think-you-bricked-your.html#.UJUNN8XAd8G and galaxytabhacks.com/galaxy-tab-10-1-hacks/how-to-root-galaxy-tab-10-1-the-easy-way/

Good luck.

Reactions: L3R0N and mjramos15

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Don't ever try to 'repartion unless you really know what you're doing. You're soft bricked. Repartion and you'll hard brick.

I'd go back and get hc from sammobile and flash that with Odin. Ics has had some problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

mobjunky

Oct 6, 2012
Don't ever try to 'repartion unless you really know what you're doing. You're soft bricked. Repartion and you'll hard brick.

I'd go back and get hc from sammobile and flash that with Odin. Ics has had some problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Agreed - my procedure avoids manual repartitioning - I tried lots of other procedures but none worked. I think my data partition had become corrupt because I kept getting error messages. My first try was to recover with my cwm recovery file I made originally but I kept getting back to the boot loop .

cebonk

Aug 9, 2012
GSK
Hello,

I tried installing a custom ROM on my 7310 and it had issues. I have tried installing the original ICS from the sammyfirmware site using ODIN. Now I have a boot loop. I think I need to repartition, but when I click the repartition checkbox in ODIN I get an error.

Thanks.

I always got something like that ...
After bootloop just go to recrovery mode then factory riset ... its 100% WORK

Sent from my GT-P7300 using xda premium

spazlon

Oct 15, 2007
I followed the steps outlined by mobjunky and was able to get an official Honeycomb ROM installed, boot the official and copy my custom ROM and CWM 6.0.0.8 on it. Then install CWM 5.4.0.4 followed by 6.0.0.8.

Now my problem is that any custom ROM I put on there just does a boot screen loop. I tried CM10 and the latest AOSP. To install the ROMs I just booted into CWM, installed the ROM from zip, then installed the gapps. I've tried with and without formatting the cache, user data, and Dalkiv, same results.

What am I doing wrong? I have loaded tons of ROMs on this before without any issues, then all of a sudden I can't get anything except official loaded.

Last edited:

mobjunky

Oct 6, 2012
I followed the steps outlined by mobjunky and was able to get an official Honeycomb ROM installed, boot the official and copy my custom ROM and CWM 6.0.0.8 on it. Then install CWM 5.4.0.4 followed by 6.0.0.8.

Now my problem is that any custom ROM I put on there just does a boot screen loop. I tried CM10 and the latest AOSP. To install the ROMs I just booted into CWM, installed the ROM from zip, then installed the gapps. I've tried with and without formatting the cache, user data, and Dalkiv, same results.

What am I doing wrong? I have loaded tons of ROMs on this before without any issues, then all of a sudden I can't get anything except official loaded.

Sorry - being a newbie myself I'm at a loss. It worked a charm for me.

prince93

Aug 11, 2012
Cairo

did a format /system before installing the custom roms? This is an important step.

Reactions: mjramos15

mjramos15

May 31, 2014
It worked

Hi Spazlon,

Sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet as I am also very fresh. But I've underlined the addresses so you should be able to find them

I just spent the best of 2 days trying to solve a similar issue - my 8.9 P7300 kept running in boot loop. It had been running ICS stable for several weeks, then suddenly started to loop boot for no good reason. Anyway - you need two programs installed on your computer as well as USB drivers for your tablet. The two programs are Odin and SDK developer package. Odin3 v 1,87 and 1.85 are found here: filecrop.com/Odin-1.87 - try some of the links, one of them should work without having to type a password. The SDK is found here: developer.android.com/sdk You can find more about how to use the developer package on that site as well, but I installed as support for Android 2.1 through to 4.1

Also install the USB driver files for your tablet on your PC. For example from here: xpdrivers.com/usb/_1_24.cfm?gclid=CL2o_OiDs7MCFWF7cAodxFYANQ

You also need the following recovery files which you can find by searching the developer forum for galaxy tab 8.9:
P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar
and finally a ROM of your choice, for example the ICS rom cm-9-20121028-NIGHTLY-p5.zip that I just used. You can find the latest official ICS ROM's here get.cm/?device=p5

Now - hold down the volume down button on one of the boot cycles. You should now get into a menu with two choices - Download and Recovery. Default is "Download" - if you press volume down you switch between the two choices. Press volume up to select the choice you want.

First you want to select the "Download" option. Then connect your tablet to your PC. The drivers should now install and your tablet should read that you are connected.

Now start Odin3. Click the PDA button and select your P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar file. Then press Start.
Once finished the tablet will reboot, and you now need to once again get into the recovery menu. Now select the recovery option, not the download menu. You get into the stock recovery menu where you navigate with the volume buttons and select choices with the power button. Do a full factory reset and wipe the cache. WARNING - you will loose ALL your data, but it'either that or stick to a bricked tablet so.... You will also loose your root access,m which is why the next step is needed.

Now that everything is wiped clean you can use Odin again in "download mode" to install ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4.tar with the same procedure as before. You now have root access.

Reboot again and once again into the recovery mode (not download mode). Once you get into the CWM recovery menu you are ready for the final step, which is to install your new operating system.

First you want to copy two files into this folder (provided you want to install Cynaogen Mod 9):
and
Your ROM file of choice

Press shift and right-click in that folder and select "Open command window here". In the command prompt write

adb shell

Note - I had some problems here which was caused by lack of permissions. On your tablet in the CWM menu there should be a choice under the advanced menu for fixing permissions. Use that and you should be able to get into the terminal shell afterwards with the adb shell command

• mount /data (don't worry if you get an error message - it means the folder is already mounted)
• cd /data
• mkdir media (if you get an error message saying the folder already exists, that's also OK!)
• exit

Now you may have to wait a little while until your command prompt is back confirming that the file was uploaded.

Now on your tablet go to the menu point "install zip from sdcard" and find your CWM file that you just uploaded and run that.

Run the above push command again from the computer terminal window, this time to upload the ROM file you want to install. (the command is adb push [filename].zip /data/media)

Now on your CWM recovery menu once again run the zip file you just uploaded from the "install zip from sdcard" menu

When completed and you now reboot you should have a completely fresh android installation. Hope this helps.

Thanks to kallt_kaffe and all the others who helped me through their various posts (hope that coffee isn't getting too cold again), as well as the following web sites that indirectly helped me resolve this issue googleymind.com/2011/11/guide-so-you-think-you-bricked-your.html#.UJUNN8XAd8G and galaxytabhacks.com/galaxy-tab-10-1-hacks/how-to-root-galaxy-tab-10-1-the-easy-way/

Good luck.

WOw! This fixed my Tablet! thank you ever so much!!

L3R0N

Jul 13, 2014
Roseau
WOw! This fixed my Tablet! thank you ever so much!!

Hi Spazlon,

P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar

and
Your ROM file of choice

adb shell

• cd /data
• exit

Good luck.

Gee thanks. This saved my tab. I'd almost given up on it and then voila.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This worked for me with similar problem

Hi Spazlon,

P73xx_Stock_Recovery.tar

and
    Your ROM file of choice

adb shell

• cd /data
    • exit

Good luck.

did a format /system before installing the custom roms? This is an important step.

This fixed it. Never had to do it with any of my other devices. CM10 loaded quickly after that. Loving how fast JB is!

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk HD