Xperia S dead?

Search This thread

Sliverer

Oct 9, 2012
Hello,

My Xperia S which I bought in August 2012 doesn't boot anymore. A few weeks after I bought it, I unlocked the Bootlader and installed custom Kernels and ROMs and it worked fine all the time. I was on KA 22.1 SSpeed and Advanced Stock 17 and wanted to try something else, so I installed XZXperience 2 and the Elite V2-Kernel.

Well, after that, the phone worked fine but I noticed some heavy battery drain. Charging took waaay longer than usual (full charge about 4 hours with the plug) and the drain was immense. BetterBatteryStats showed me a Deep Sleep of 98 % while I lost about 15 % of battery life in ONE hour, that can't be somehow. The phone however worked still fine.

So I decided to flash the Advanced Stock Kernel again but the drain didn't stop, it was as before. I thought that the Battery Stats are maybe corrupted, so I let the phone discharge itself completely (didn't take long) and wanted to charge it fully. When I plugged in the charging cable, the first unusual thing was, that the red light appeared instantly upon connecting. Normally it would take a second or so. The second thing is, there was no logo, no battery symbol, just nothing but the red light when I plugged the cable in.

I slept a night and after I woke up, I disconnected the cable and wanted to start the phone, but nothing happened. Still, the only thing the phone does, is lighting red, when it's plugged in. Fastboot or Flash-Mode don't work, the computer doesn't recognize anything.

So...what to do? it appeared after I flashed the new ROM and Kernel, but I don't think it has something to do with them...the drain was also there with the Advanced Stock Kernel. Although I must say, that I often had flashing errors, often the device said something like:

format_volume make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

To me, it looks like the battery has a deep discharge and is dead, but I don't know, what could I probably do before sending it in? If the battery is dead the warranty should still be there, even with the unlocked bootlader, am I right?

Best regards

RISHI RAJ

Mar 2, 2012
New Delhi
Xiaomi Poco F3
Ur phone boots while charging,but not charging.If this the case keep ur phone in ur hands for 10-15 min.Enter into recovery while led is pink.Flash other kernel.Else take the battery out charge it,enter into recovery flash other kernel

Sent from my Xperia S using xda premium

Sliverer

Oct 9, 2012
when you power on your phone what happen?

The phone doesn't start at all, nothing happens, when I push the power button.

Ur phone boots while charging,but not charging.If this the case keep ur phone in ur hands for 10-15 min.Enter into recovery while led is pink.Flash other kernel.Else take the battery out charge it,enter into recovery flash other kernel

I can't go into recovery, because the phone does nothing, I can't start it. There's still warranty on the phone, so I'd rather not like to remove the battery...

mharckk

Dec 17, 2011
ok so its no screen at all,
when u pressed power+volume up for 10 seconds does it vibrate?

Toledo_JAB

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 16, 2011
Toledo
Already tried, it doesn't...even after holding for minutes.

You could open the phone and disconnect the battery, or let the phone sit long enough for it the battery to die.
This will reset the phone.
Only problem is how long to let the battery die, as there is no way to tell.

Once the phone resets make flashtool ready to flash just the kernel, and use a rubber band to hold the volume down button in.
With flashtool waiting and button pressed plug in to PC.
It should give red led for about 10 minutes then flash.
You can read more tips & tricks in the RECOVERY thread in my signature.

From Jaramie's LT28at

Sliverer

Oct 9, 2012
Well, the incident happened a few weeks ago and after I charged it over night and it didn't work, I left it there for nearly two weeks and nothing has changed so far. In your post, you said, that you had to wait for 51 hours until your battery died but two weeks is quite long I think...

What do you suggest? I think, I'll send it in, if the battery is broken, the warranty should cover it.

Toledo_JAB

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 16, 2011
Toledo
Well, the incident happened a few weeks ago and after I charged it over night and it didn't work, I left it there for nearly two weeks and nothing has changed so far. In your post, you said, that you had to wait for 51 hours until your battery died but two weeks is quite long I think...

What do you suggest? I think, I'll send it in, if the battery is broken, the warranty should cover it.

I would call Sony and get the ball rolling on a warranty claim.
Sorry for your loss, and good luck

From Jaramie's LT28at

stifilz

Jan 9, 2012
NZ

Simple fix I think. This has worked for Xperia S and Xperia U. Both phone i brought as "DAMAGED". LOL. Battery is toooooo dead for the phone to detect it..... Use a wall charger to charge the battery up :D. I used a charger off ebay ($2 including post) that was for a Galaxy I9000 battery (old phone) and used wires and taped them to the battery..... Didn't even need to fully charge it! just like a jump start sort of thing...

Came up with the idea as at work we have to "jumpstart" car batteries to trick the charger into charging them :D

If you have a DC power source that puts out 4.2v at 350mA +/- 50mA then TRY IT and please let me know.

Stifilz

Sliverer

Oct 9, 2012
Well, I have a lithium charger for round-type-batteries, but we're talking about lithium here and if the battery is really damaged, it could be quite dangerous to charge it. The output of the charger is 1A, too, quite a bit higher.

I tried a last thing and took the battery out but it still only shows a red light while charging, so I'm going to try to send it in.

__xEpiiC_Us3R-

Jan 31, 2013
R: Xperia S dead?

IT happened The same for Me...
I was very worried..
I plugged to charge for 21h... Unplugged but Nothing!!
So i replugged iT and watched for 1H.. Suddenly IT Booted(But opened only logo Sony And Crashed!) So i Tried to unplugg and power on the phone but nothing.. No booted!!
So after 25m iT rebooted and like a furet i dropped my phone from The table and like a crazy tried to go in recovery.. So it Gone in Recovery i've Wiped ALL And Reinstalled Fw-Kernel.
So now i'm using The Xperia S :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

stifilz

Jan 9, 2012
NZ
Well, I have a lithium charger for round-type-batteries, but we're talking about lithium here and if the battery is really damaged, it could be quite dangerous to charge it. The output of the charger is 1A, too, quite a bit higher.

I tried a last thing and took the battery out but it still only shows a red light while charging, so I'm going to try to send it in.

Still not going then??? Might as well order a charger for a couple of bucks off ebay... :D

paddukutti

Jun 15, 2013
ok so its no screen at all,
when u pressed power+volume up for 10 seconds does it vibrate?

i have the same problem, if i put to charge just red led comes.
and if i press power+vol up nothing happens.. some time later the red led went off so then i tried power+vol up i got 3 vibration,
but phone is not booting, so i tried to charge later red led came in while but now power + vol up is also not working.
please help. i have Xperia SL (LT26ii), sorry for bad english.

Thank you

mharckk

Dec 17, 2011
i have the same problem, if i put to charge just red led comes.
and if i press power+vol up nothing happens.. some time later the red led went off so then i tried power+vol up i got 3 vibration,
but phone is not booting, so i tried to charge later red led came in while but now power + vol up is also not working.
please help. i have Xperia SL (LT26ii), sorry for bad english.

Thank you

have you tried this?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1849170