Tilt Was bricked..any ideas as to unbricking?

Search This thread

HTCFAN0923

Mar 19, 2007
NYC
hey Guyz. I have a Tilt that a customer gave me that got bricked while trying to flash one of dutty's roms...Problem is that the genius didn't load up Hard SPL even tho he told me that he did...now He wants me to fix it...even tho he didn't follow my instructions and read the WiKi...I kno that on the Hermes it was able to be unbricked. Is the same for the Kaiser possible? I would greatly appreciate your help as my customers are loving the work you guyz do here in nyc..

Thanks in Advance!

Cristian

sirsycho

Aug 7, 2006
What is the current status of the phone?
Can you get into the bootloader at all?

If you can get to the bootloader you should be able to load the AT&T AKU v0.4.4 ROM (the unoffical upgraded AT&T ROM). Once you get that loaded you should flash HardSPL immediately.

Let me know how it goes...

Cheers.

andydempsey

Feb 16, 2006
I bricked my tilt when it was less than 24 hours old... I recovered it with a BETA of the ATT rom and THEN redoing the hardspl thingy - worked a treat.

Do a search for tolt bricked and you should find afew threads for it.

The rom is called something like RUU_Kaiser_ATT_WWE....._Internal.exe

HTCFAN0923

Mar 19, 2007
NYC
It goes to the Tri-Color Screen but stays there..I'll go ahead and research it so I can find the original AT&T and load it up...It shows a lot..workin for at&t and being a member on xda...U guyz have no idea how ya make life easier for my tilt customers b/c at&t truly dropped the ball on the rom...and by offering alternatives..u make the user experience so much better...thanks!

mfrazzz

Sep 12, 2006
Falcon, Colorado
It goes to the Tri-Color Screen but stays there..I'll go ahead and research it so I can find the original AT&T and load it up...It shows a lot..workin for at&t and being a member on xda...U guyz have no idea how ya make life easier for my tilt customers b/c at&t truly dropped the ball on the rom...and by offering alternatives..u make the user experience so much better...thanks!
If you are at the bootloader screen (Tri-Color) then the phone is not bricked. In the sticky at the top on how to revert back for warranty replacement, it has links for the various roms. Just flash an official AT&T rom on it and you should be good to go. Then do the HardSPL.

Cool that you work for AT&T and hang out here! If you have any other warranty returns, I can give you my address as I wouldn't mind having a backup or two... ;)

BTW: The AT&T ROM for the Tilt is actually quite good in the big picture of things. At least the phone is usable (slower than it should be and less memory than it should have, but its still very usable and stable on the official rom). If you want to ***** about official roms, go back to the 8125 and its official rom. The while the device (at the time) was great, that rom made the phone almost worthless (super slow, battery problems, bad radio, dropped calls, freezing, etc). I can't tell you how many people that run custom roms on the Wizard just can't believe what that phone is actually capable of.

Ok, sorry, got off topic there... ;)

Quick Silver

Dec 5, 2007
does Hard-SPL needs to be flashed just once on a device or does it need to be installed every tome a new ROM is going to be Flashed onto it? :)

HTCFAN0923

Mar 19, 2007
NYC
If you are at the bootloader screen (Tri-Color) then the phone is not bricked. In the sticky at the top on how to revert back for warranty replacement, it has links for the various roms. Just flash an official AT&T rom on it and you should be good to go. Then do the HardSPL.

Cool that you work for AT&T and hang out here! If you have any other warranty returns, I can give you my address as I wouldn't mind having a backup or two... ;)

For some reason, it's not being recognized by my Activesync. I got it to recognize it but now it sayz Error 294: Invalid Vendor ID...I'm using the RUU_Cingular_WWE Rom for the Kaiser...so I'm flabbergasted at this point...

johanromijn

Dec 19, 2006
Netherlands - GMT[+1]
For some reason, it's not being recognized by my Activesync. I got it to recognize it but now it sayz Error 294: Invalid Vendor ID...I'm using the RUU_Cingular_WWE Rom for the Kaiser...so I'm flabbergasted at this point...

ActiveSync will not recognize your device when in BootLoader mode!

The Vendor ID error means the ROM cannot be loaded on the Tilt without HardSPL. You need an original Tilt ROM. (That's what I think about this)

Last edited:

sirsycho

Aug 7, 2006

Oddly enough the "Original" Tilt ROM will not install on a Tilt that does not already have HardSPL on it (to spell it out for you, the CID of the ROM does not match the Tilt's stock SPL). If you check the "reverting back" sticky you'll find all this info already, though it is deep in the thread.

The AKU v.0.4.4 ATT Beta ROM does have the correct CID and will flash on a stock Tilt. SO that is what you are forced to resort to at this point. Once you get the beta ROM installed you can (and probably should) install HardSPL.

After all that, if you decide you want to return or warranty the phone follow the "revert" thread to restore it to "stock" form.

Some additional notes on your problem...

ActiveSync will not connect in Bootloader mode (this is expected). You should see a device show up in Device Manager however, I can't recall the exact description however.

quick flash procedure:
put phone in bootloader
connect usb cable
install ROM

FYI, the problem may not be a bricked tilt... you could try Pof's fix which involves using MTTY.exe to boot the phone, depending on how your "customer" tried to flash it it may just need a kick in the pants to restore it. (search Pof's SSPL for the Kaiser thread for instructions, the thread was closed so you will have to look deep).

<climbing on my soapbox>
Lastly... your use of the word "customer" concerns me... are you charging people for the work you do to their phones? If so, do you donate to the people who make it possible? I'm probably just misunderstanding you, but if you're profiting from others work, perhaps you should contribute (especially if you're coming here to ask for help).
</climbing down>

Good Luck!
Cheers.

Last edited:

HTCFAN0923

Mar 19, 2007
NYC
Customers as in I work for an AT&T corporate owned Retail location and they have bought Tilts from me. They kno my Tilt has been modded and they usually want to do the same. I don't charge them for doing mods to their Tilts. This still remains a community where we help each other and I cherish that. Greed has no place here.

sirsycho

Aug 7, 2006
Customers as in I work for an AT&T corporate owned Retail location and they have bought Tilts from me. They kno my Tilt has been modded and they usually want to do the same. I don't charge them for doing mods to their Tilts. This still remains a community where we help each other and I cherish that. Greed has no place here.

That's cool... my misunderstanding then. Hopefully no hard feelings :).

All in all it sounds like the guy wants a custom ROM so you should probably get the ATT Beta ROM and install that. And then install HardSPL.

Check Kyphur's second post in the thread below for the ROM you want.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=343198

kaal123

Jan 12, 2010
how can i re-install the window? at tilt 8925
i have wm6.1
i want to reset it so the error message shud gone like Recover ?

anagarika

Jan 30, 2009
Crowded Hectic City
@kaal,

It seems what you want to do is a HARD RESET. Please visit Kaiser Wiki and read through. You'll know your phone better that way.

@HTCFan & Sirsycho, Glad you both sort it out in the community spirit ;) Cheers!

gboulware

Feb 13, 2009
Oddly enough the "Original" Tilt ROM will not install on a Tilt that does not already have HardSPL on it (to spell it out for you, the CID of the ROM does not match the Tilt's stock SPL). If you check the "reverting back" sticky you'll find all this info already, though it is deep in the thread.

The AKU v.0.4.4 ATT Beta ROM does have the correct CID and will flash on a stock Tilt. SO that is what you are forced to resort to at this point. Once you get the beta ROM installed you can (and probably should) install HardSPL.

After all that, if you decide you want to return or warranty the phone follow the "revert" thread to restore it to "stock" form.

Some additional notes on your problem...

ActiveSync will not connect in Bootloader mode (this is expected). You should see a device show up in Device Manager however, I can't recall the exact description however.

quick flash procedure:
put phone in bootloader
connect usb cable
install ROM

FYI, the problem may not be a bricked tilt... you could try Pof's fix which involves using MTTY.exe to boot the phone, depending on how your "customer" tried to flash it it may just need a kick in the pants to restore it. (search Pof's SSPL for the Kaiser thread for instructions, the thread was closed so you will have to look deep).

<climbing on my soapbox>
Lastly... your use of the word "customer" concerns me... are you charging people for the work you do to their phones? If so, do you donate to the people who make it possible? I'm probably just misunderstanding you, but if you're profiting from others work, perhaps you should contribute (especially if you're coming here to ask for help).
</climbing down>

Good Luck!
Cheers.

Because of you folks and this thread, I have a working device as opposed to a paperweight...Thanks!!!