[Kindle Fire 2 Restore][Working!!!]-12/7/2012

Search This thread
Jan 31, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Kindle Fire 2 Restore Question..

So I'm trying to get everything prepared for when my Fastboot cable arrives. Should get here today, thanks to Skoprn. Ive been reading these threads and think I'm still just a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated..

Current status of my KF2 is that it is just stuck in bootloop. The Kindle Fire logo just keeps flashing. Anyways, so when my fastboot cable arrives I connect it. It should boot up into fastboot and then what do I do next?

Download this "Restoration Tool" and then what? Unzip the file and run it and it will do it all by itself or..?? Do i need to run some commands in ADB/fastboot??

Thanks for any help!!

How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
a sparse image file using help found in this post.
  1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
    Code:
    mkdir sys
    sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
  2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
    Code:
    sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
    sudo umount sys
    rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
It was bricked big time!!!!

RevMike

Dec 11, 2009
If system.img is too big

I had trouble using fastboot to flash the system partition. System.img was too large and I was having trouble getting the environment up to build the sparse image.

My boot and recovery partitions were, however, set up to successfully boot TWRP recovery. I booted into TWRP, then I used adb to transfer the system.img to the internal storage.

adb push system.img /sdcard/

The I went into adb shell and used dd to write the image.

adb shell
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system

Once this completed, I rebooted and the stock environment was in place.

Reactions: arthur. and _kyl3_

rickballs

Oct 24, 2010
My. PC recognized my. Kindle but won't go to fast boot even with the cable. I reinstalled the drivers and all, but still can't do anything, please help

flopower1996

Sep 8, 2012
AW: [Kindle Fire 2 Restore][Working!!!]-12/7/2012

Type:
ADB reboot bootloader

Gesendet von meinem Amazon Kindle Fire2 mit Tapatalk 2

doctor_evil

Dec 6, 2010
Gainesville GA
OK I have a bricked kindle fire 2nd gen that is driving me nuts. when I press the power button it shows the orange kindle fire logo for about 10 or 15 seconds and then it shuts down. I have a factory cable and used this utility to restore it, but it still will not boot.

I even went so far as to go ahead and try to get TWRP installed so I could flash it with CM10.1 since It does boot to fastboot when I use the factory cable.

when I do that it doesn't show the blue kindle fire logo, it shows the orange logo, goes black for few seconds and then shows the orange logo again. it keeps doing this over and over.

using this utility to restore changes the boot behavior to shutting off again after displaying the logo.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

jcnbama

Jun 4, 2012
Huntsville
So I'm trying to get everything prepared for when my Fastboot cable arrives. Should get here today, thanks to Skoprn. Ive been reading these threads and think I'm still just a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated..

Current status of my KF2 is that it is just stuck in bootloop. The Kindle Fire logo just keeps flashing. Anyways, so when my fastboot cable arrives I connect it. It should boot up into fastboot and then what do I do next?

Download this "Restoration Tool" and then what? Unzip the file and run it and it will do it all by itself or..?? Do i need to run some commands in ADB/fastboot??

Thanks for any help!!

OK I have a bricked kindle fire 2nd gen that is driving me nuts. when I press the power button it shows the orange kindle fire logo for about 10 or 15 seconds and then it shuts down. I have a factory cable and used this utility to restore it, but it still will not boot.

I even went so far as to go ahead and try to get TWRP installed so I could flash it with CM10.1 since It does boot to fastboot when I use the factory cable.

when I do that it doesn't show the blue kindle fire logo, it shows the orange logo, goes black for few seconds and then shows the orange logo again. it keeps doing this over and over.

using this utility to restore changes the boot behavior to shutting off again after displaying the logo.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Kind of in this same boat right now. I've got a bootlooping KF2 after trying to restore a factory backup I made in TWRP. Fastboot cable on the way. Hoping to gather enough info from this post and others to stumble my way into getting drivers, a restore, and TWRP so I can get things going again. These dang Kindles are nuttin but trouble... I wish there was a comprehensive step by step guide... Information about the Kindle seems to be more spread out than other devices.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

doctor_evil

Dec 6, 2010
Gainesville GA
Kind of in this same boat right now. I've got a bootlooping KF2 after trying to restore a factory backup I made in TWRP. Fastboot cable on the way. Hoping to gather enough info from this post and others to stumble my way into getting drivers, a restore, and TWRP so I can get things going again. These dang Kindles are nuttin but trouble... I wish there was a comprehensive step by step guide... Information about the Kindle seems to be more spread out than other devices.

It's driving me nuts, you would think that if fastboot works, that there is some way to fix what is causing this issue.

I just got done with fixing a pretty borked up Kindle fire (original) that was sticking on the boot logo. that one I had to flash it with FFF and twrp, then format the usb storage, then flashed with cotr then flashed it with the kindle fire update bin (renamed to update.zip) and was able to fully fix it and get it back running.

I'm suprised that noone has figured out how to fully unlock the bootloader on the 2nd gen Kindle Fires yet.

jcnbama

Jun 4, 2012
Huntsville
It's driving me nuts, you would think that if fastboot works, that there is some way to fix what is causing this issue.

I just got done with fixing a pretty borked up Kindle fire (original) that was sticking on the boot logo. that one I had to flash it with FFF and twrp, then format the usb storage, then flashed with cotr then flashed it with the kindle fire update bin (renamed to update.zip) and was able to fully fix it and get it back running.

I'm suprised that noone has figured out how to fully unlock the bootloader on the 2nd gen Kindle Fires yet.

This scares me a lot. I have a fast boot cable on the way and I'm just gonna try and wing it. I have worked with other devices but none like this. I'm gonna be lost. And all the info is spread out over about 5 different threads. I would almost pay someone to do this if there was a Kindle Fire fixing store down the road...

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
This scares me a lot. I have a fast boot cable on the way and I'm just gonna try and wing it. I have worked with other devices but none like this. I'm gonna be lost. And all the info is spread out over about 5 different threads. I would almost pay someone to do this if there was a Kindle Fire fixing store down the road...

Don't be scared. The dude you quoted doesn't even realize that its been confirmed impossible to crack our bootloader by hash code.

I promise you.. Things are actually pretty simple once you UNDERSTAND what you are doing. I promise once you get that cable, I'll help you.

I might even take the time to write a thread at some point EXPLAINING everything I had to learn piecemeal.

But here's the deal- use the right drivers AND ADB and everything works fine.

DRIVERS- USE THE ONES IN THIS POST- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1893838

ADB- USE THE ADB FROM THE KINDLE FIRE FIRST AID TOOL-
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrhoop

RoboWarriorSr

Apr 22, 2012
Seattle
I have a red screen after installing automated freedom-boot. The program doesn't recognize the device any way to recover it? Also the device can be rebooted but keeps going to a red screen after the Kindle Fire logo boot up.l

flopower1996

Sep 8, 2012

Attachments

• recovery.img
    4.7 MB · Views: 334
  • boot.img
    4.2 MB · Views: 324
Last edited:

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
http://goo.im/devs/mindmajick/Kindle2/Restore.zip

abreeden

Nov 7, 2008
Soft brick

Is this still a viable way to restore a KF2? I have soft bricked my daughters KF trying to go to KitKat. i got rushed and made a silly wipe, and long story short.... i have a KF with no OS, TWRP only, and no zips to flash. I cant get it to mount to put the zips back on. can anyone offer any insight into the best way to get TWRP to mount, or get back to stock and start over?

Happy Holidays:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
    I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
    This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
    Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
    Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
    Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
    Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
    verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
    Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
    a sparse image file using help found in this post.
    1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
      Code:
      mkdir sys
      sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
    2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
      Code:
      sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
      sudo umount sys
      rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
    It was bricked big time!!!!
    Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lololol

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Quick and Simple.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
    I got 10.2.3 working and rooted.
    I am going to pull a new system image for restore later tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    If system.img is too big

I had trouble using fastboot to flash the system partition. System.img was too large and I was having trouble getting the environment up to build the sparse image.

My boot and recovery partitions were, however, set up to successfully boot TWRP recovery. I booted into TWRP, then I used adb to transfer the system.img to the internal storage.

adb push system.img /sdcard/

The I went into adb shell and used dd to write the image.

adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system

Once this completed, I rebooted and the stock environment was in place.