[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
  • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
  • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
  • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
  • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
  • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
  • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
  • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
  • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
  • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
  • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
  • Fixed other minor stuffs.
  • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
Known Issues:
  • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
  • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
  • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
  • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
  • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
  • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
  • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
  • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
Tested on:
Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506

Last edited:

Otinademoniac

Apr 19, 2012
As I said in my topic, I think I love you :p It just works! Fantastic!

BTW, is there any way to display the application name in the tile?

(O.T. : fun fact, the three of us who actually posted in this topic are actually italian :p)

Last edited:

kasinao

Nov 8, 2008
Argony-OT i love you too!!!!:good:
i searh a progam like this since the beginning of Windows 8!!

Otinademoniac

Apr 19, 2012
Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)

Attachments

• tile_layout.xcf.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 4,469

Pasquiindustry

Recognized Developer
Jul 9, 2012
Conversano
pasquiindustry.com
OK, I've tried it and it function!
As you write, not 120px images are showed and there is blue-tile background, but for now it is ok.
If you can, you can add support for 2 images live tile and large tile (I know that it's difficult, but you're on right way ;) )

Otinademoniac

Apr 19, 2012
OK, I've tried it and it function!
As you write, not 120px images are showed and there is blue-tile background, but for now it is ok.
If you can, you can add support for 2 images live tile and large tile (I know that it's difficult, but you're on right way ;) )

I told about your app to a friend of mine in http://www.windowsblogitalia.com and they posted about it, prepare to get somehow famous :p

Last edited:

Pasquiindustry

Recognized Developer
Jul 9, 2012
Conversano
pasquiindustry.com
Italians do it better XD
The WindowsBlogItalia team is very good, so they pubblish the application in a bit time.
@Argony-OT I advice you to shortlink with goo.gl the download link to get how people download the tool ;)

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
@Pasquiindustry Thanks for your feedback/advice.
@Otinademoniac Thanks for sharing your Gimp Model, im sure it will help peoples to create their Tiles and thanks for sharing OblyTile with others.

I'm trying to figure out a way to create bigger tiles (ractangular 248 x 120), and also, working on more colors for the background tile.

Otinademoniac

Apr 19, 2012
While I don't feel like I really need that background color change, since I usually change the colour of the tile in GIMP itself, I think that giving users the chance to make the tile larger would really make the difference; the program could just then consider itself complete.

Hope you'll find out how to do that, it would be awesome :fingers-crossed:

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
Is there a way to have the title (or Title Name) show up on the tile itself like actual metro tiles? Other then photo shopping them on there that is

Abhilesh7

Jul 17, 2012
Pune
I get a Tile like this. Icon not showing. What's the issue?
Using Windows 8 Release Preview Build 8400 with OblyTile v5.

EDIT : Using V7 solved the issue. Thanks Man...!!!

Last edited:

N000D

Sep 27, 2012
This is the most wanted app in win8 :good: I wish you success in the further development! And more functions like create Wide tiles or random size tiles and switch any information in tile (text, images). IT can be the best application for create TILES

Androidmarketuser

Oct 21, 2010
If you want to engage ppls attention you could link it on deviantart.com
It has a large customization community and many tools are advertised there...:good:

Otinademoniac

Apr 19, 2012
0.7 Is pretty nice! I feel that adding just some more colour (isn't it possible to directly let users choose the color in RGB value?) would make it great! Also, the option for rectangular tiles would make it perfect :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page