[Q] Should i buy S4 or HTC One?

Search This thread

FanOfSkynyrd

Mar 15, 2011
To each their own. I'd say do your own research (plenty of info out there on both devices) and decide which one more suits your needs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

sleekgreek

Oct 20, 2010
I'd wait, new phones will be popping up pretty quick, unless you just want the deal on them. I left htc after the evo lte suckfest. They got my money for years, but the evo lte left a bad bad taste in my mouth. Should've been a class action lawsuit IMO.

ibcenu

Oct 12, 2010
I'd wait, new phones will be popping up pretty quick, unless you just want the deal on them. I left htc after the evo lte suckfest. They got my money for years, but the evo lte left a bad bad taste in my mouth. Should've been a class action lawsuit IMO.

x2 I went thru 4 of them until sprint gave me my S3...
For the op.. Go look at both, Samsung has touch wiz, HTC has sense.. They are different user systems (kinda) that some love/hate one or the other

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

FlowingAway

Oct 21, 2007
I had a HTC ONE from May until last Tuesday. I can tell you there are things about it that are cool, like the front facing speakers, and uhhh that's about it. I can also tell you the S4 gets LTE MUCH better than the ONE and holds onto it longer and in more places (indoors, etc). That was a huge deal to me. I had no idea my ONE was not getting LTE very good until I saw it side by side with an iPhone 5S and a GS4. My eyes were opened to the shoddy radio inside that thing and I made it my goal to trade for a S4. Got a white one, and will never look back. No more HTC for me.

Reactions: rialsi6

onree

Apr 20, 2008
The S4 is ugly, boring, and unoriginal - but I chose it anyway. It has both replaceable battery and microSDXC slot. Those alone were enough to make the decision simple, at least for me. Coming from a Motorola Photon 4G, I also didn't mind the fact that it is an enormously popular phone -- it means that more stuff will work with it, and it'll be well-supported for the near future, at least.

Reactions: danders23

sbillard

Jul 12, 2013
I worry about HTC's future

I moved from HTC to the S4 when I upgraded from an EVO 3d. I and my wife had HTC phones for a long time. HTC has a nice interface and good style. BUT (and there is the rub) recently HTC's support of their phones has been lacking. For instance, my wife's EVO 4g LTE had an issue with google maps force closing during navigation. Happened after a software upgrade (I think to android 4.2 if I remember correctly). Took almost 9 months before she could use google maps for her navigation app. She would have replaced the phone if it were not so new that the cost would have been prohititive.

Support like this is costing HTC customers which leads to the death spiral.

Last edited:

jejb

Nov 24, 2008
Rogers, AR
I had a HTC ONE from May until last Tuesday. I can tell you there are things about it that are cool, like the front facing speakers, and uhhh that's about it. I can also tell you the S4 gets LTE MUCH better than the ONE and holds onto it longer and in more places (indoors, etc). That was a huge deal to me. I had no idea my ONE was not getting LTE very good until I saw it side by side with an iPhone 5S and a GS4. My eyes were opened to the shoddy radio inside that thing and I made it my goal to trade for a S4. Got a white one, and will never look back. No more HTC for me.

Very similar to my story. I was a firm fan of HTC products, until we got my wife an S3. It blew the doors off my HTC Evo $G LTE for call signal and especially data signal. Time after time we'd be sitting together do the same thing, like check email, go to a website, etc. The HTC would lose EVERY time. And often times, it would never complete the data load, getting lost in cyber space somewhere. The S3, and now my S4, always gets the job done, even if I'm wandering in and out of coverage areas. It's persistent.

The camera is a big deal for me, too. I spend a lot of time outside and take a lot of pictures. The S4 is great for that, better than any HTC I've owned.

Throw in the expandable memory and replaceable battery, and it's an easy choice for me. My wife's S3 battery is finally running down faster than it should be during the day, after more than a year on the stocker. New Anker battery from Amazon will be here today, easy-peasy. HTC, too bad, so sad. Live with it.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
+1 S4
Expandable storage
Removable battery
Kick ass camera

The One is indeed a sexy looking phone but that wasn't enough for me and I even have a locked down Verizon S4 lol

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap
Hyperdrive 12

Sprint Galaxy S4
Philz
Carbon 4.4

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I have a SIM unlocked HTC One and I switched to the $70 unlimited everything plan. My LTE is just insane and the Viper ROM has every custom feature that say Pac Man does. ..well almost. ..but retains the Sense bare bones options if you choose them. I am in SoCal which is refarmed so I get 40-50MB download and 18-20 up. I actually have stayed on 4.3 because T Mobile introduced the wifi calling and messaging. I regularly get....well let me pull some screen shots. It's great.

Now I had the Samsung Epic 4G, still have the NS4G AND GNEX on Sprint and I did the Venum Ice ROM on the ET4G and a really blacked out Note 2 ROM but that device is gone (was AT&T)

SO, I am swapping nandroids between Sac's 5.4 and 5.6 with the black and chrome theme but I can't find a stock kernel zip ANYWHERE. I can't adb remount so I can't Odex my ROM'S when I am fully set up. I like the 1/31 KT kernel. I run it with the boot settings 384/1890 but I use his KTOONSERVATIVEQ governor and it sleeps like a baby. I am actually considering going back to stock 4.3 with the MF9 bootloader I was not supposed to touch because of Knox. I seriously want to take that deodexed stock and invert everything, debloat it and not load it with tons of random code and scripts. If anyone used my Venum Ice on the ET4G it was fast, reliable, and nobody ever reported so much as a reboot....that being said, I just got this phone and if I do it there will be an odexed and deodexed build but I can't do it alone. I literally can't get adb mounted I already downloaded the two stock deknoxed builds but I am trying to get on the good side of a kernel dev. I see a lot of possibilities still. I have the CM Focal and stock cam, stock music player, Noozy and some other goodies. If anyone has some them in skills (and likes black/inverted and the 30% more screen time) ....aw man maybe we can get the top TW devs to get together and really do something and have fun.

Anyone can PM me and I respond in 1-2 days max. Well for now I am going to flash today's Euroskank CM build because I am also testing Djdarkknight's KlearKat then BlakKat themes but I am happy to try and get this community helping each other and maybe work together. ..supposedly my Sprint network improvements will be done at month's end ...maybe I will get to see LTE on this phone finally. ..lol. tomorrow I will post side by side comparison pics but I am excited to be here and I like my black S4. End of my 2 am rant:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Gray Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The S4 is ugly, boring, and unoriginal - but I chose it anyway. It has both replaceable battery and microSDXC slot. Those alone were enough to make the decision simple, at least for me. Coming from a Motorola Photon 4G, I also didn't mind the fact that it is an enormously popular phone -- it means that more stuff will work with it, and it'll be well-supported for the near future, at least.