MyMind's Kernel Swap

Search This thread
M

Modding.MyMind

MyMinds_Kernel_Swap
===================

Based on AnyKernel, but pretty much rebuilt in every way so that it will actually work. So, many thanks to Koush for the idea.

The Idea and What It Does...
=======================

Some but not all of this script has been snippets here and there from ArchiKitchen and DSIXDA Kitchen.

This has allowed me to formulate a zip as such without the need to technically build from scratch saving me LOADS OF HOURS.

It currently uses my static compiled mkbootimg, unmkbootimg, and mkbootfs binaries to allow editing, and rebuilding of the boot.img.

Some serious modifications were made to get this to work successfully with MUCH DEBUGGING. If you change something and it breaks another function then that is on you!

# IT IS CURRENTLY STABLE!

1. It will pull your current boot.img using dd.

2. It will search for the Android! header in the boot.img and remove the unnecessary junk before it if needed to.

3. It will split the boot.img in to the kernel and ramdisk.

4. It will unpack the contents inside the ramdisk.

5. It will modify the default.prop file giving you insecure ADB. If you already have it then this will not affect you.

6. It will modify the init.rc file to give support for init.d. If you already have it then this will not affect you.

7. It will write to sysinit and install-recovery.sh for the completion of init.d support. If already done, then this will not affect you.

8. It will make the init.d folder under /system/etc on your device with required permissions.

9. It will place an init.d script to test to see if init.d is fully working. If it works, you will find a file called, HAS_INIT, located in the /dev directory of your device.

10. It will swap out the original kernel with a new prebuilt kernel upon rebuilding the new boot.img

11. It will repack you a new ramdisk using mkbootfs to be applied to your new boot.img upon rebuilding it.

12. It will remove your old modules and push your new modules that came with your new prebuilt kernel.

13. It will write your new boot.img to your boot partition using dd.

14. Hopefully, more to come!

MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE...
=======================

"$BOOT_PARTITION" ACCORDING TO YOUR DEVICE BEFORE USING THIS SCRIPT!!!!!!

How to use it...
==============

1. Place your prebuilt kernel in the prebuilt folder and insure it is named, zImage.

2. Place kernel modules in the modules folder.

3. Zip, and flash in TWRP recovery.

If you have any suggestions to add then let me know. My ears are open to them.

https://github.com/ModdingMyMind/MyMinds_Kernel_Swap

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

Last edited:
M

Modding.MyMind

It's a flashable zip that will unpack your boot.img, swap out the old with the new kernel, add init.d support if needed, and install the new modules that came with the kernel.

PiggyFlooper

Oct 12, 2013
Can you give direct download, I don't understand how to use github

Sent from above using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

M

Modding.MyMind

Hahaha, my bad, hold on...... Oops :p

PiggyFlooper

Oct 12, 2013
So I'm supposed to put modules in modules and then what to put in prebuilt? Kernel, zImage?

And another question, when dd ing the boot.img it comes out 16MB. I do all other with your binaries, edit ramdisk and rebuild, and its 4.3MB boot.img I can't flash this boot.img with recovery. How can I apply this thing
Sent from above using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

I successfully used Anykernel before to edit ramdisk and just replaced the boot.img that came with Rom and rigged up a zip. This time I'm using different kernel, using same method, but replaced zImage with one from the buttered toast kernel I'm on- here's what I did- https://db.tt/RTFidksG
No success. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:
M

Modding.MyMind

Modules go in the modules folder.

The zImage goes in the prebuilt folder.

Zip, then flash.