[Q] Spare part : sim reader

Search This thread

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
Do you know how do I do it ? I know how to solder/desolder, but I don't know exactly what should I do.

Here is a picture of the Galaxy S Sim Tray. Should I desolder this points marked by the red arrow (and off course in the oposite side) and sold it to the Nexus S board ? Is the sim tray just fixed by this solded points ?

why desolder a i9000, you need to desolder the nexus s, and just buy a sim tray that has 3+3 pins, thats all you need, it only cost less than a dollar.

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
I've never seen a SIM TRAY without a board to sell here in Brazil. I will try to find it. But what I've said (desold the i9000 and sold on the Nexus S) should work ? I already have a i9000 sim tray and won't do anything with it.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I've never seen a SIM TRAY without a board to sell here in Brazil. I will try to find it. But what I've said (desold the i9000 and sold on the Nexus S) should work ? I already have a i9000 sim tray and won't do anything with it.

you dont have to buy in brazil, try ebay.

blackmamba

Jan 9, 2005
Vancouver
I'm in the same boat but I didn't leave the Nexus S in my drawer like some of the folks here. Here's what I did...I used a small thin-film conductor (like a wire or or metallic point of contact) and slid it with tweezers at the point of the break (I had the middle pin broken) and then slid the sim card over it.

The SIM card will try to push this film out. That's where the tweezers help. Gently lift the SIM card and lodge it in again. This basically creates a short circuit between the joint where the pin would have been and the place on the SIM card where it needs to connect.

Super simple solution without soldering. But, you still have to re-do when you swap a sim card.

The SIM card is a tight fit and hence the film will stay.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
here are two samples that i have, but there are over 30-40 types, make sure you get the thinnest one, less than 2mm in high.

dustinearley

Feb 9, 2010
I broke one of my pins with a micro sim adapter that was a little too big, and I fixed it by putting tinfoil behind my SIM card. Better than having to take apart my phone. I'm not too good with soldering.

slim94

Jul 27, 2010
Are there not any other resellers for this part? I have a hard time believing only globaldirect has this. I'll try the wire trick, but for a permanent solution, kinda sucks waiting so long :(

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
I will try to buy any sim tray and replace on my board.

Here is a picture of my board (I really screwed it removing the sim tray). My doubt is, in the board, it has only the 3+3 pins ? Because in the sides (in yellow arrows) the sim tray was fixed to the board. My doubt is, there is a circuit track in there or they are just to fix the sim tray to the board (with some kind of glue) ?

I tired of globaldirectparts too... but worse than that is Samsung that hasn't the replacement part...

kms108

Sep 16, 2007

Here is a picture of my board (I really screwed it removing the sim tray). My doubt is, in the board, it has only the 3+3 pins ? Because in the sides (in yellow arrows) the sim tray was fixed to the board. My doubt is, there is a circuit track in there or they are just to fix the sim tray to the board (with some kind of glue) ?

I tired of globaldirectparts too... but worse than that is Samsung that hasn't the replacement part...

the sim only requires the 3*3 solder pins

shan123

Dec 23, 2010
Tried to put microsim with adaptor, it was working fine till i had to remove it. And now 1 pin is broken and doesnt detect sim card anymore. So how can i fix it?

omvir

Apr 28, 2011
Ok guys, i too have broken 1 pin from the sim tray, and i got some tin foil and placed it where the missing pin was and slid my sim card in and it worked. If it works for you please reply. if you need a picture please reply.

Reactions: cpom1

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Welcome to the club! It seems that this is happening a lot.

Please, take a picture and post for us.

omvir

Apr 28, 2011
I dont have 8 posts so i cant link you to the picture... so if you go to my albums the picture will be there!

Reactions: koyanishi

cpom1

May 25, 2011
I'm in the same boat but I didn't leave the Nexus S in my drawer like some of the folks here. Here's what I did...I used a small thin-film conductor (like a wire or or metallic point of contact) and slid it with tweezers at the point of the break (I had the middle pin broken) and then slid the sim card over it.

The SIM card will try to push this film out. That's where the tweezers help. Gently lift the SIM card and lodge it in again. This basically creates a short circuit between the joint where the pin would have been and the place on the SIM card where it needs to connect.

Super simple solution without soldering. But, you still have to re-do when you swap a sim card.

The SIM card is a tight fit and hence the film will stay.

Hey do you have any pics of this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

the sim only requires the 3*3 solder pins
    September 1, 2012 UPDATE

*WARNING* DON'T USE MICRO SIMS WITH SIM ADAPTERS! THIS CAN AND WILL HAPPEN TO YOU TOO!

Just happened to me as i removed my micro sim with sim adapter. Broke one of the pins off.

Got threw reading the whole thread. Tried the tin-foil trick and it works! Get a small little piece of tin-foil about the size of the missing pin and place it over the missing pin contact point and put the sim card in and it should pick up signal again! If it doesn't maybe the foil moved while sliding the sim card in. Try again.

This is a temporary fix and should be used just to get you by for a while.

I found the replacement part here and placed my order. It will be coming from China, so its good to use the tinfoil trick while you wait for the part to arrive in the mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190710339483?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:BIN&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2650

Found this easy dissasembly guide here. Use this to replace the sim tray once it arrives.

http://youtu.be/dYB5wiFFIno

Requires a philips screw driver and about 10 minutes of time. Pretty easy DIY Repair. Costs about 25-30$
    Do you know how do I do it ? I know how to solder/desolder, but I don't know exactly what should I do.

Here is a picture of the Galaxy S Sim Tray. Should I desolder this points marked by the red arrow (and off course in the oposite side) and sold it to the Nexus S board ? Is the sim tray just fixed by this solded points ?
    Ok guys, i too have broken 1 pin from the sim tray, and i got some tin foil and placed it where the missing pin was and slid my sim card in and it worked. If it works for you please reply. if you need a picture please reply.
    I dont have 8 posts so i cant link you to the picture... so if you go to my albums the picture will be there!