[GSM/CDMA] How to install an ICS Custom Rom with BootMenu Manager

Search This thread

HSD-Pilot

Jan 22, 2012
NRW
Google Pixel 6
How to install an ICS Custom Rom on an XT910/XT912 using BootMenu Manager

This Video is based on V 0.2.6 and shows the manual way through the Recovery.

You have to be on ICS 4.0.4 to follow this Guide

1. Your Way back to Stock

!!! Before you even think about to install an Custom Rom, safe your Way back !!!

What do i need to get my Stock Rom back?

RSDLite 5.7

The latest Drivers for your Device (You'll find them through Motorola Support)

Your ICS Fastboot Files

Pedrotorresfilho's Guide will tell you which FW you need and all the relevant differences between GSM & CDMA

So have an Look @ this

And of course you need:

The Know How about RSD and AP Fastboot

How to get in AP Fastboot / Stock Recovery

When your Phone is Off:

AP: Hold down Power + Vol.up + Vol.down > select AP Fastboot with Vol.down > accept with Vol.up

Stock Recovery: Hold down Power + Vol.up + Vol.down > select Recovery with Vol.down > accept with Vol.up > When the dead Android appears press Vol.up + Vol.down

!!! Charge your Battery till 100% before you start !!!
(min. 80%)

2. The Custom Recovery

recoveryoverview.png

You cant flash an Rom through your Stock Recovery, so you have to download an Custom Recovery. In this case i'll write this How to by using the BootMenu Manager created by Whirleyes.

Download it from Play Store or the OP of BootMenu

3. Setup BootMenu

After you have downloaded the BootMenu you have to get it started.
When you open the App the first time, it will show you the Installer Screen.
Just hit the Download Button and wait, till everything is checked!

setupc.png

If you're wanna uninstall the Recovery, just hit the Uninstall - Buttons

1. Uninstall Hijack
2. Uninstall Packages
3. Uninstall BootMenu Manager

This can be necessary, befor you apply an OTA Update.

4. Backup your Rom

The next step should be an Backup of your Main system, in case that anything went wrong! Of course you can Backup your Second System, too.

1. Select 1st System Manager / 2nd System Manager
2. Select Fast Backup
3. Choose you Storage (internal / external) and name your Backup
4. Hit OK and confirm the Reboot

backup.png

5. Prepare your Webtop Partition for 2nd System

To install and Second System on your RazR you have to clean up your Webtop Partition. To do this you have to boot into the Custom Recovery.

webtop.png

1. Select Mounts & Format
2. If the Webtop is not mounted, set it to mount Webtop
2. Select Format Webtop
3. Reboot

6. Rom Converter

To flash an Rom with BootMenu on your RazR you have to convert it first! The Rom Converter will edit the Update Script and set the 2nd init on Safestrap based Roms.

1. Open Rom Converter
2. Set Patch 2nd-init rootfs if you're converting an Safestrap based Rom!
!!! Don't set 2nd-init rootfs when you convert MiUi !!!
3. Select your Rom.zip and confirm

You will see the process in the Notificationbar.
After it's done you get an new Zip File called BM_Rom.zip, which you have to flash!

convertromf.png

7. Installation on Main System / Second System

Now you have the choice to keep your Stock Rom clean and install an Rom on your Webtop Partition or to Crackflash your RazR completely. I will show you both ways.

2. Select Install a Zip Package
3. Select Add a Zip File to Queue & select your BM_Rom.zip

!!! If you're on an GSM Device and on your way to flash an CDMA Rom, you have to add the GSM Patch AFTER the BM_Rom.zip !!!

AOKP based GSM Patch
CM9 based GSM Patch
Stock based GSM Patch

If necessary, select the GApps.zip AFTER the Rom (and before the GSM Patch)

4. Check Clear Data & Cache + Clear Dalvik Cache Before you confirm your choice!

installrom.png

The BootMenu Manager will reboot into Recovery, flash your Zips and reboot into your new Rom.

Beware!

When you reboot your new Rom the BootMenu will check the Hijack (the on Boot Option). If there's something wrong, it will warn you and re-ask if you really wanna reboot!

50bb607a-56f5-d919.jpg

If that happens to you, don't reboot!

Go back in the Recovery and switch to 6. System Keeper. There select install Hijack and try to reboot again. If you still get an warning, then restore your last Backup before you reboot.

After that you can check the Updater-Script or if it's the right Rom for you (GSM?) and you used the right Instructions.

After you rebooted your device, you will see an screen with an green Android. Tab it to select the Rom you wanna boot or to boot into Custom Recovery again.

You can set your default Rom after you booted the Rom in the BootMenu App under BootMenu Settings!

BootMenuScreen.png

The first Boot of an new Rom always takes an bit longer, than usual. So relax and WAIT!

If you decide to install an new Custom Rom over an older one, you don't need to install your Stock Rom first! Just Wipe everything and follow the Instructions of the Rom Thread to install it.

TROUBLESHOOT

!!! I faced an Problem during this Tutorial. This contains the Main System - flash and the Stock based GSM - Patch !!!

Main System:

If you flash an Rom on your Main System, the Hijack (on Boot Option) will be kicked off! That's easy to solve:

1. Deny Reboot and go back
2. Select System Keeper
3. Select install Hijack
4. Reboot

Stock based GSM Patch:

CDMA User can ignore this!
I only faced this Problem by using the Stock based GSM Patch on an Stock based CDMA Rom (Eclipse / Simplex / Black Widow 214)

I wasn't able to get an Data - connection after i rebooted into the Rom. To solve this, just reboot your RazR and hit the Custom Recovery during the Hijack!

1. Wipe Data/Cache/Dalvik Cache
2. Install GSM Patch
4. Reboot

Fastboot for the webtop_signed

Here's an way to get the second System running on an RazR that you purchased with ICS preinstalled. It seems, that you can't mount the Partition with it.
You will get an failure called >invalid argument< when you enter the line mount -t ext3 /dev/block/webtop /tmp/webtop
To get it working, we tried to fastboot an GB webtop_signed on an ICS Maxx and after that it works flawless for the Guy.

You also can use this to get your Files back which where deleted to get the second system running!

DOWNLOAD

PART1 + PART2

This is the Webtop_signed of the 651.167.26.XT910.Retail.en.EU that was used to get on the 672.180.33.XT910.Retail.en.EU some times ago.

If you have an GB 2.3.6 Fastboot File of your Region and wanna use this webtop_signed, you can only download the FlashME.bat and add your File into the Folder!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qibcf1inyb7ao8y

INSTALLATION

After you downloaded an extracted the 2 Parts you'll get an Folder called Webtop 2.3.6.en.EU.

In this you'll find the FlashMe.bat and the Webtop_signed.

Connect your RazR in AP Fastboot Modus with your PC and doubleclick the FlashMe.bat.

webtopstart.png

Your RazR will reboot after the flash was sucessfull

webtopfinish.png

Now you can follow the steps to get your second system on your preinstalled ICS.

8. I stuck in an Bootloop, what now?

In case, that your Rom won't boot you can always boot into the Custom Recovery again.

Shut down your RazR by holding Power & Vol- till your screen turns black. When you now start your RazR again, you should see the green Android from above.

Hit him and select the Custom Recovery.

Once you're there you can restore the Backup of your previous Rom!

I recommend to wipe data before you start the restore.

1. Select Backup & restore
2. Change Backup location > Micro SD
3. Restore
4. Select your Backup and wait
5. Reboot

If that won't work, remember the start of this Thread. You got RSD and the Fastboot Files ready, right?

9. Install some Themes / Extras

If you decide to install an new Theme or some Extras like the Kernel Modules on your new Rom, follow this steps:

1. Select the Theme / Extra
2. Check clean Dalvik Cache
3. Hit Ok and confirm

extrasv.png

10. Flash in Recovery

Of course you can still flash an Rom or Extras OldSchool - Like in the Recovery

Read the Instructions of the Thread, where you get your Rom from! In most cases the following steps are needed:

1. Wipe & clean > Wipe data & cache (Factory Reset) > Wipe cache > Wipe dalvik cache
2. Install zip package
3. Change zip file location > Micro SD
4. Install a zip package
5. Select Rom.zip and wait
6. Power options > Reboot

For some Roms you need to install extra GApps (Google Apps) or an GSM Patch. Do this after the Rom and before you reboot!

installzip.png

That's all i can tell you about that stuff. If somebody find an failure or something i missed, just post it and i will correct it as soon as possible.

Now please keep the Development Section Clean!
If you still got Questions you can ask them in the Q&A Section!

Last edited:

whirleyes

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 10, 2007
github.com
this project grows bigger than I thought.. (more than what I can handle alone)

with a lot of coding/bug fixes need to be done, I really haven't/want to spend time making a documentation.
Hopefully this help other user to start using bootmenu.

I'll upload recovery screenshot for aiding your effort.

Thanks

Here the link for recovery & bootmenu screenshot (High resolution) - link

Last edited:

HSD-Pilot

Jan 22, 2012
NRW
Google Pixel 6
Yes, I'll do that later. Meanwhile you can post the Link of the Version you want to flash, because I use MiUi Germany. Don't know, if they got the same Script. I'll edit and test it, before I upload it :cool:

Gesendet von meinem XT910 mit Tapatalk 2

Aelyus

Jul 10, 2011
So... Isn't this a bit circular? I mean, I have to go back to stock to be "safe" and then ROOT the stock to be able to install bootmenu, so it isn't stock anymore... So... If I'm on a stock ROM, but rooted, do I really need to flash a stock ROM again? Because rooting this stock ROM was a pain. (America Movil ICS MX) so... If I just install bootmenu as it is, could I have trouble? Great documentation btw! Convinced me to finally try out some custom ROMs on my RAZR.

HSD-Pilot

Jan 22, 2012
NRW
Google Pixel 6
I'm not really know what you mean?

An rooted Stock is still an Stock in my Eyes :confused:

If you're currently running an XT910 GSM ICS Rom that's rooted you're good to go.

Download Boot Menu and set it up.

Reactions: Aelyus

Aelyus

Jul 10, 2011
I'm not really know what you mean?

An rooted Stock is still an Stock in my Eyes :confused:

If you're currently running an XT910 GSM ICS Rom that's rooted you're good to go.

Download Boot Menu and set it up.

It's just that some Stock Gingerbread ROMs had problems and errors updating to ICS via RSD Lite if they were rooted or had frozen/removed apps, I thought maybe this could happen, but that makes it clear then, Installing bootmenu now. :)

whirleyes

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 10, 2007
github.com
BootMenu only replace/change 3 files of your stock rom.
When you hit uninstall hijack button, it will be revert back to stock ICS.

p/s : This is one of the first thing I've think when start making this app.
I don't want to be the cause for "can't apply OTA" problem.

Aelyus

Jul 10, 2011
If you decide to install an new Custom Rom over an older one, you don't need to install your Stock Rom first! Just Wipe everything and follow the Instructions of the Rom Thread to install it.

Sorry for asking so many questions but there's no such thing as too sure with a device with a locked bootloader. ): Anyway, does this mean that I can, for example, flash MIUI over Epsilon without going back to Stock via RSD Lite or it works only for different versions of the SAME custom Rom? (Say, Epsilon v4 can be flashed over Epsilon v3 after wiping, but not MIUI over Epsilon.)

elias.parasini

May 28, 2011
Jakarta
Cant flash AsiaRetail fastboot via RSD5.7, it said "too large file" or something while RSD decompress the fastboot file.. It not happen with en.EU
So I'm using AlternatifFla****, but it cant flash my webtop..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to install an ICS Custom Rom on an XT910/XT912 using BootMenu Manager

This Video is based on V 0.2.6 and shows the manual way through the Recovery.

You have to be on ICS 4.0.4 to follow this Guide

1. Your Way back to Stock

!!! Before you even think about to install an Custom Rom, safe your Way back !!!

What do i need to get my Stock Rom back?

RSDLite 5.7

The latest Drivers for your Device (You'll find them through Motorola Support)

Your ICS Fastboot Files

Pedrotorresfilho's Guide will tell you which FW you need and all the relevant differences between GSM & CDMA

So have an Look @ this

And of course you need:

The Know How about RSD and AP Fastboot

How to get in AP Fastboot / Stock Recovery

When your Phone is Off:

AP: Hold down Power + Vol.up + Vol.down > select AP Fastboot with Vol.down > accept with Vol.up

Stock Recovery: Hold down Power + Vol.up + Vol.down > select Recovery with Vol.down > accept with Vol.up > When the dead Android appears press Vol.up + Vol.down

!!! Charge your Battery till 100% before you start !!!
    (min. 80%)

2. The Custom Recovery

recoveryoverview.png

You cant flash an Rom through your Stock Recovery, so you have to download an Custom Recovery. In this case i'll write this How to by using the BootMenu Manager created by Whirleyes.

Download it from Play Store or the OP of BootMenu

3. Setup BootMenu

After you have downloaded the BootMenu you have to get it started.
    When you open the App the first time, it will show you the Installer Screen.
    Just hit the Download Button and wait, till everything is checked!

setupc.png

If you're wanna uninstall the Recovery, just hit the Uninstall - Buttons

1. Uninstall Hijack
    2. Uninstall Packages
    3. Uninstall BootMenu Manager

This can be necessary, befor you apply an OTA Update.

4. Backup your Rom

The next step should be an Backup of your Main system, in case that anything went wrong! Of course you can Backup your Second System, too.

2. Select Fast Backup
    3. Choose you Storage (internal / external) and name your Backup
    4. Hit OK and confirm the Reboot

backup.png

5. Prepare your Webtop Partition for 2nd System

To install and Second System on your RazR you have to clean up your Webtop Partition. To do this you have to boot into the Custom Recovery.

webtop.png

1. Select Mounts & Format
    2. If the Webtop is not mounted, set it to mount Webtop
    2. Select Format Webtop
    3. Reboot

6. Rom Converter

To flash an Rom with BootMenu on your RazR you have to convert it first! The Rom Converter will edit the Update Script and set the 2nd init on Safestrap based Roms.

1. Open Rom Converter
    2. Set Patch 2nd-init rootfs if you're converting an Safestrap based Rom!
    !!! Don't set 2nd-init rootfs when you convert MiUi !!!
    3. Select your Rom.zip and confirm

You will see the process in the Notificationbar.
    After it's done you get an new Zip File called BM_Rom.zip, which you have to flash!

convertromf.png

7. Installation on Main System / Second System

Now you have the choice to keep your Stock Rom clean and install an Rom on your Webtop Partition or to Crackflash your RazR completely. I will show you both ways.

2. Select Install a Zip Package
    3. Select Add a Zip File to Queue & select your BM_Rom.zip

!!! If you're on an GSM Device and on your way to flash an CDMA Rom, you have to add the GSM Patch AFTER the BM_Rom.zip !!!

AOKP based GSM Patch
    CM9 based GSM Patch
    Stock based GSM Patch

If necessary, select the GApps.zip AFTER the Rom (and before the GSM Patch)

4. Check Clear Data & Cache + Clear Dalvik Cache Before you confirm your choice!

installrom.png

The BootMenu Manager will reboot into Recovery, flash your Zips and reboot into your new Rom.

Beware!

When you reboot your new Rom the BootMenu will check the Hijack (the on Boot Option). If there's something wrong, it will warn you and re-ask if you really wanna reboot!

50bb607a-56f5-d919.jpg

If that happens to you, don't reboot!

Go back in the Recovery and switch to 6. System Keeper. There select install Hijack and try to reboot again. If you still get an warning, then restore your last Backup before you reboot.

After that you can check the Updater-Script or if it's the right Rom for you (GSM?) and you used the right Instructions.

After you rebooted your device, you will see an screen with an green Android. Tab it to select the Rom you wanna boot or to boot into Custom Recovery again.

You can set your default Rom after you booted the Rom in the BootMenu App under BootMenu Settings!

BootMenuScreen.png

The first Boot of an new Rom always takes an bit longer, than usual. So relax and WAIT!

TROUBLESHOOT

!!! I faced an Problem during this Tutorial. This contains the Main System - flash and the Stock based GSM - Patch !!!

Main System:

If you flash an Rom on your Main System, the Hijack (on Boot Option) will be kicked off! That's easy to solve:

1. Deny Reboot and go back
    2. Select System Keeper
    3. Select install Hijack
    4. Reboot

Stock based GSM Patch:

CDMA User can ignore this!
    I only faced this Problem by using the Stock based GSM Patch on an Stock based CDMA Rom (Eclipse / Simplex / Black Widow 214)

I wasn't able to get an Data - connection after i rebooted into the Rom. To solve this, just reboot your RazR and hit the Custom Recovery during the Hijack!

1. Wipe Data/Cache/Dalvik Cache
    2. Install GSM Patch
    4. Reboot

Fastboot for the webtop_signed

Here's an way to get the second System running on an RazR that you purchased with ICS preinstalled. It seems, that you can't mount the Partition with it.
    You will get an failure called >invalid argument< when you enter the line mount -t ext3 /dev/block/webtop /tmp/webtop
    To get it working, we tried to fastboot an GB webtop_signed on an ICS Maxx and after that it works flawless for the Guy.

You also can use this to get your Files back which where deleted to get the second system running!

DOWNLOAD

PART1 + PART2

This is the Webtop_signed of the 651.167.26.XT910.Retail.en.EU that was used to get on the 672.180.33.XT910.Retail.en.EU some times ago.

If you have an GB 2.3.6 Fastboot File of your Region and wanna use this webtop_signed, you can only download the FlashME.bat and add your File into the Folder!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qibcf1inyb7ao8y

INSTALLATION

After you downloaded an extracted the 2 Parts you'll get an Folder called Webtop 2.3.6.en.EU.

In this you'll find the FlashMe.bat and the Webtop_signed.

Connect your RazR in AP Fastboot Modus with your PC and doubleclick the FlashMe.bat.

webtopstart.png

Your RazR will reboot after the flash was sucessfull

webtopfinish.png

Now you can follow the steps to get your second system on your preinstalled ICS.

8. I stuck in an Bootloop, what now?

In case, that your Rom won't boot you can always boot into the Custom Recovery again.

Shut down your RazR by holding Power & Vol- till your screen turns black. When you now start your RazR again, you should see the green Android from above.

Hit him and select the Custom Recovery.

Once you're there you can restore the Backup of your previous Rom!

I recommend to wipe data before you start the restore.

1. Select Backup & restore
    2. Change Backup location > Micro SD
    3. Restore
    4. Select your Backup and wait
    5. Reboot

If that won't work, remember the start of this Thread. You got RSD and the Fastboot Files ready, right?

9. Install some Themes / Extras

If you decide to install an new Theme or some Extras like the Kernel Modules on your new Rom, follow this steps:

1. Select the Theme / Extra
    2. Check clean Dalvik Cache
    3. Hit Ok and confirm

extrasv.png

10. Flash in Recovery

Of course you can still flash an Rom or Extras OldSchool - Like in the Recovery

Read the Instructions of the Thread, where you get your Rom from! In most cases the following steps are needed:

1. Wipe & clean > Wipe data & cache (Factory Reset) > Wipe cache > Wipe dalvik cache
    2. Install zip package
    3. Change zip file location > Micro SD
    4. Install a zip package
    5. Select Rom.zip and wait
    6. Power options > Reboot

For some Roms you need to install extra GApps (Google Apps) or an GSM Patch. Do this after the Rom and before you reboot!

installzip.png

That's all i can tell you about that stuff. If somebody find an failure or something i missed, just post it and i will correct it as soon as possible.

Now please keep the Development Section Clean!
    If you still got Questions you can ask them in the Q&A Section!
    this project grows bigger than I thought.. (more than what I can handle alone)

with a lot of coding/bug fixes need to be done, I really haven't/want to spend time making a documentation.
    Hopefully this help other user to start using bootmenu.

I'll upload recovery screenshot for aiding your effort.

Thanks

Here the link for recovery & bootmenu screenshot (High resolution) - link
    Thanks for that screens. I'll add them, when I'm back home on my PC. That will make things a lot easier for new users :thumbup:

Gesendet von meinem XT910 mit Tapatalk 2
    Hi and thanks for the tutorial.

I never used BMM before, and the version that I have now is 0.3.4. I followed your tutorial, but it seems the new version is completely overhauled...

For example, in the tutorial it says that webtop partition needs to be prepared by mounting and then formatting it. In the new version of BMM there's no such option....

Also I think I read in one of XDA threads that you can't install any rom in the 2nd system... only on 3rd to 6th system...

I'm really confused here...

What about the Rom converter? the roms need to be converted? Does BMM 0.3.4 include a rom converter?

Could some of you guys please help. Possibly put the exact steps to install a second rom in bullet points so it is clear and straight forward for noobs like me? much appreciated. :eek:

I'm on stock ICS 4.0.4

when green android appear, do not press recovery, but setting. There press ACTIVATE system 2
    you can flash any rom into system 1 or 2
    roms does not need conversion
    it is good that you still are on ICS, you can flash any kernel and rom you want
    kernels should be flashed using flash firmware (make sure that in NO SPACE into the path of your kernel)
    kexec should be flashed as regular zip
    BootMenu only replace/change 3 files of your stock rom.
    When you hit uninstall hijack button, it will be revert back to stock ICS.

p/s : This is one of the first thing I've think when start making this app.
    I don't want to be the cause for "can't apply OTA" problem.