[MAC] Galaxy Nexus Toolkit [Root,Unroot,Unlock/Lock Bootloader,CWM] [07/28/13]

Search This thread

whpsnp

Dec 9, 2010
I Just got my nexus yesterday (unlocked from playstore running on att) so I'm new to this & its on 4.0.4. Now i want to get JB and I have a OTA option on my phone so If i upgrade to 4.1 OTA i know i should use the OP method to ROOT my device with a mac..correct>??
BUT
I am just confused because people are saying they rooted from Maguro or Takju etc.. If somebody could just explain that it would be great
help - appreciate it
Thank you

Maguro is the GSM version device name. It comes with a variety of firmware names, yakju, takju, yakjuxw etc.
I believe that out of the GSM versions that are available unlocked takju and yakju are updated directly from Google. The other versions are maintained by Samsung. Samsung maintained versions are afaik identical except that updates are being pushed a little later.
I have a yakjuxw which I updated to 4.1.1 before using the tool in this thread to root it. Had no problems.

If you bought your phone on the US Playstore it should be a takju version, if it's from the Playstore internationally, a yakju. If you bought it unlocked from somewhere else, it will be a yakju**.

EDIT: Forgot that the takju firmware includes Google wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: insane08

insane08

Oct 22, 2010
NYC
Maguro is the GSM version device name. It comes with a variety of firmware names, yakju, takju, yakjuxw etc.
I believe that out of the GSM versions that are available unlocked takju and yakju are updated directly from Google. The other versions are maintained by Samsung. Samsung maintained versions are afaik identical except that updates are being pushed a little later.
I have a yakjuxw which I updated to 4.1.1 before using the tool in this thread to root it. Had no problems.

If you bought your phone on the US Playstore it should be a takju version, if it's from the Playstore internationally, a yakju. If you bought it unlocked from somewhere else, it will be a yakju**.

EDIT: Forgot that the takju firmware includes Google wallet.

Thank you both for the reply.
I had google wallet installed so guessing it was Takju but everything went fine...I had the dead android screen pop up but got away from that via a script (name i cant remember) but things are good now..
If the flash stock reocovery thing ever comes up again I will click yes! I don't want to run other roms I am very happy with the stock experience currently until something with a great battery management shows up. if there is any ROM currently please advise. Thank you! :laugh:

Leemur89

Jan 16, 2012
Putrajaya
Just a question, I rooted my phone yesterday with no problems. As i checked "root checker" and it says it's rooted.. When i try to enter recovery mode..it would just show the android guy with a red triangle.. Is there something wrong with my root?

techfanatic9

Mar 31, 2012
Vernon Hills, IL
www.androidrootz.com

tomlang

Jul 27, 2008
Will this work on my soft bricked toro? It was rooted and running 4.2 but now will not boot, getting stuck on the google screen. Using adb device command, it did identify itself. I can boot into boot loader or recovery, but my cwm cannot find my recovery images on the new 0 partition, although when looking for .zip files to flash it can find my recoveries. Unfortunately all rom images are gone.

Last edited:

flx-grafix

Jan 13, 2011
If using the "Unroot/Stock 4.2" Kit, does it overwrite CWM and flash the stock recovery so that OTA updates are possible?

midn12ght

Sep 10, 2006
donated! i love when ish...just...works!
was kinda bummed i had to fire up my backup iphone when i couldn't get my gnex to load after a format boo boo. thank you for thinking of us mac users who aren't always on the forefront of rooting flashing android love.

creaky

Apr 22, 2011
SU binary doesn't install

I used the automated root kit and got hung up with the SuperSU install in CWM recovery. CWM said SD card couldn't be mounted and therefore couldn't find the file in downloads.

So, rebooted and downloaded SuperSU from market. When I opened it up I get the message "There is no SU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it."

After a search I came across others who have had the same problem. Went to:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

And then downloaded CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip and flashed it in CWM recovery. Rebooted and all was good.

Thanks for the tools!

justifi

Oct 4, 2011
NYC
There should be a sticky about wugfresh's nexus root toolkit. It is sooooooo much better!!!

Wug's kit is not for macs. Not too mention your comment is disrespectful to efforts made by the OP. I found this tool kit to be very helpful. By the way, what happened to 1kds?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bigknowz

Saved me

I would have been without a phone until I went to work tomorrow if not for this toolkit. Was stuck at Nexus logo and Wugs wasn't working on my virtual machine. I am exhausted, will take care of the donate tomorrow. THANK YOU!!!!

Sent a little something, great work!

Last edited:

SeauxCrazy

Jul 21, 2010
Man, was getting fed up with my Nexus with /0 and /legacy folders I decided to do a clean wipe with this toolkit. Followed all the directions, it wiped the phone, but kept the ROM I was running before instead of the stock rom and I don't have any service anymore :/

It cleared all my data on the hard drive though, so no nandroids to jump back to.

I don't consider myself dumb when it comes to flashing, I've been doing it since my Evo 4g. I'm just confused as heck as to what is going wrong.

Edit, nevermind. Finally got it to boot up to install another ROM and flashing Sprint Radio. Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing Galaxy Nexus Toolkit for Mac Users!
    (This is in no way as advanced as Galaxy Nexus Toolkit for Windows but it's a start)

Supports GSM/Verizon/Sprint and Everything Will Work With Both Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich!
    Based on script by: 1KDS link to his script/tool: Here

What Does This Toolkit Include?

• Unroot GSM to Stock 4.3
    • Unroot GSM to Stock 4.2.2
    • Unroot Verizon to Stock 4.2.2
    • Unroot Sprint to Stock 4.2.1
    • Unroot GSM to Stock 4.2.1
    • Unroot Verizon to Stock 4.1.1
    • Unroot Sprint to Stock 4.1.1
    • Root GSM i9250 - Supports Android 4.3!
    • Root Verizon CDMA LTE - Supports Android 4.3!
    • Root Sprint CDMA LTE - Supports Android 4.3!
    • Unlock GSM Bootloader
    • Unlock Verizon CDMA LTE Bootloader
    • Unlock Sprint CDMA LTE Bootloader
    • Lock GSM Bootloader
    • Lock Verizon CDMA LTE Bootloader
    • Lock Sprint CDMA LTE Bootloader
    • Install ClockworkMod Recovery GSM
    • Install ClockworkMod Recovery Verizon
    • Install ClockworkMod Recovery Sprint

e19svs.png

voyixg.png

2v34unl.png

I Have Made Separate Scripts So You Only Have To Download The Specific Files You Need.

I Will Be Updating These Tools

How Do I Use These Awesome Toolkits??
    1. Download the toolkit of your choice using the links below.
    2. Unzip the file and click on click on the green Android icon.
    3. Enter your phone into bootloader mode:
    First power off your tablet and make sure it's unplugged then,press the volume up, volume down, and power button all at the same time. When your phone vibrates let go of the power button, but keep holding onto the volume up and down button. You will now see a green start screen.
    4. Follow directions on the screen.

All Links To Toolkits Can Be Found Here:
    http://www.androidrootz.com/2012/12/galaxy-nexus-one-click-mac-toolkit.html

If you found any of these toolkit helpful PLEASE check out my YouTube Channel and my website!

Donations Are Greatly Appreciated!
    To Donate Please Click the Link in my Signature. Thank you!
    Manual Method:

How to Unroot Any Android Device [Universal Guide] Will Work for 99% of All Android Devices

You must have ES File Explorer on your phone: Here

1. Open ES FIle Explorer

2. Tap on Otptions > Settings > Check mark "Root Explorer" > Check mark "Mount File System"

3. Go back and tap the favorite (located on top of the screen) and tap the "/".

4. Go to "System" > "Bin" > Delete "su"(If you can't find the su file it's okay. Not all su files are put here)

5. Go back to "System" > "Xbin" > Delete "su"

You might have it in "Bin","Xbin" or in both places. As long as you have it in 1 of the places your fine.

6. Go back to "System" > "App" > Delete "SuperUser" apk.

You are now unrooted!

How to Unroot Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean / Ice Cream Sandwich [GSM] [Mac]

Download: GalaxyNexusUnrootMac.zip: Here

1. Download the file above

2. Enter phone into bottloader mode (Hold down volume up, volume down, and power all at the same time until you feel a vibration.

3. Connect your phone to your computer via microUSB (Your phone should have a green start screen)

4. Extract the zip file

5. Move the extract folder to your "Downloads" folder

6. Open "Terminal"

7. Type and press enter after the end of each line

cd Downloads
    cd GalaxyNexusUnroot404
    ./fastboot-mac flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primela03.img
    ./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader
    ./fastboot-mac flash radio radio-maguro-i9250xxla02.img
    ./fastboot-mac reboot-bootloader
    ./fastboot-mac -w update image-yakju-imm76i.zip

Type ./fastboot-mac oem lock if you are planning on sending your phone back to your carrier or manufacture.

8. Once your phone has rebooting you will be on a fresh stock 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich for your Galaxy Nexus i9250 GSM.

How to Root Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean / Ice Cream Sandwich [GSM,Verizon,Sprint] [Mac]

Download: GalaxyNexusRootMac.zip Here

Step 1: Download the link above

Step 2: Extract the zip file and move the extracted folder into "Downloads" folder

Step 3: Open Terminal and type:

cd Downloads
    cd GalaxyNexusRootMac
    ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

Step 4: Plug your phone via microUSB and enter into bootloader mode (Press volume up, volume down, and power button until you feel a vibration)

Step 5: Press volume up and power button to select "Yes" (It says may void warranty, don't worry because you can always lock the booloader if you want)

Step 6: Go back to Terminal and type:

Type for GSM:
    ./fastboot-mac flash recovery GSM_recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-maguro.img

Type for Verizon:
    ./fastboot-mac flash recovery Verizon_recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img

Type for Sprint:
    ./fastboot-mac flash recovery Sprint_recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img

Step 7: Enter into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode (First enter into Bootloader Mode then press volume up twice and power to select "Recovery")

Step 8: Select "Reboot System Now" using volume and power buttons.

Step 9. Once your phone has finished rebooting Go back to your computer and go to "Downloads > "GalaxyNexusRootMac" and transfer "CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip" into internal Sd card phone.

Get Android file manager to transfer the file: Here

Step 10: Enter into "Bootloader Mode" (Power off phone, hold down volume up, volume down, and power button until you feel a vibration)

Step 11. Press volume up 2x (twice) and power button to select "Recovery"

Step 12. Select "Install Zip from Sdcard" > "Choose Zip from Sdcard" > Select
    "CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip".

Step 13. Choose "Yes" > Go Back > Reboot System Now

Once your phone as finished rebooting your phone will be rooted!

For More Great Android Video Tutorials Check Out My Channel! Here
    Changelog:
    07/28/13 -
    Fixed SuperSU transfer in the One-Click Root toolkit
    Updated One-Click Root toolkit for Galaxy Nexus GSM/Verizon/Sprint to support 4.3
    Added One-click Unroot/Restore to 4.3 toolkit for Galaxy Nexus GSM

04/27/13 -
    Updated ALL toolkits with the latest version of fastboot and ADB
    Added Unroot/Restore to Stock 4.2.2 Galaxy Nexus GSM Toolkit
    Added Unroot/Restore to Stock 4.2.2 Galaxy Nexus Verizon Toolkit
    Added Unroot/Restore to Stock 4.2.1 Galaxy Nexus Sprint Toolkit

12/27/12 - Updated links to make it easier for me to manage & unroot files

11/18/12 - Added Unroot / Restore to Stock Jelly Bean 4.2 for GSM

10/21/12 - Added Unroot / Restore to Stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for GSM

10/9/12 - Added Unroot / Restore to Stock Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for Verizon

9/24/12 - Updated ClockworkMod Recovery

8/31/12 - Some minor updates to all toolkits

8/24/12- *Added Install Stock Jelly Bean / Unroot to Stock Jelly Bean 4.1.1 [Odin for Mac] GSM

7/31/12 -
    *Added Universal Unroot
    *Added How to Unroot Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean / Ice Cream Sandwich [GSM] [Mac]
    *Added How to Root Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean / Ice Cream Sandwich [GSM,Verizon,Sprint] [Mac]

7/25/12 - Added ClockworkMod Recovery:1 Click Method for GSM/Verizon/Sprint

7/23/12- Initial Release
    If using the "Unroot/Stock 4.2" Kit, does it overwrite CWM and flash the stock recovery so that OTA updates are possible?

Yes it will install stock recovery and you will be able to get OTA updates.
    My root didn't seem to work. Should I unroot and try again?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Did you enter into ClockworkMod Recovery and install the zip file?
    If you didin't follow the directions on the toolkit.