[Q] Strange green screen camera bug/crash?

Search This thread

Igaku

Nov 24, 2012
I've made this thread to mainly know if this could be a simple random software crash issue... What worries me most is if it could be the start of an hardware failure.

I have an S3 I9300 since October and there were 2 times where my back-facing camera seemed to crash into a green screen, both in apps.

1st crash happened in MixBooth last month, the camera preview screen was fully green. Exiting the program and opening the official camera app seemed to fix it.

2nd crash, today, happened in Barcode Scanner. The camera preview screen turned green, with some flickering lighter-green lines. It also completely froze the device and I had to force shutdown by holding the power button.

Has yet to happen in the camera app itself, but I'm worried if it's for certain an hardware issue related to internal connections or otherwise.

Unless these happen with software glitches/crashes as well? I found a person showcasing a similar green-screen issue on the S3 (can't post link so Google for "Android Camera Preview is incorrect on Samsung Galaxy S3"). It's not quite the same green pattern, though it seems a problem encountered while developing an app that uses the camera.

Many thanks for any answer, even if it's just an opinion or conjecture.

Device info:
I9300XXDLID
Android version: 4.1.1
Kernel version: 3.0.31-368423
ROM: Stock

freddy1991

Oct 11, 2012
Did you install ExynosAbuse.apk and disable the exploit?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

naleyb01

Mar 27, 2011
Green Screen in camera

I have had the same issue happen to me a few minutes ago.

I was using the stock camera app and it just suddenly froze onto a green screen.

I have owned my galaxy s3 for less that 24 hours so I am hoping this isn't a recurring problem.

Have you figured out if it was just a software bug?

Igaku

Nov 24, 2012
Not completely sure, but it has yet to happen again... I'd guess if it was hardware its frequency would increase...

Though I did find a thread from 2010 over at the androidforums in regards to a green camera crash on the Samsung Transform that would fix itself with a reboot (see "Support Camera problems?"), so I guess in that case it could be a software crash similar to the ones we just had.

Last edited:

naleyb01

Mar 27, 2011
Intresting. I suppose it is just software..

We will be getting a 4.1.2 update pretty soon and that should will iron out any small bugs such as the camera issue we are having.

beflapje

Oct 16, 2007
green screen

Hi ,

I have the same issue using omega rom 35 .
When i startup my s3 and i use the camera it shows the preview ok .
When i close the camera app and open it again my preview turns green .

However taking pictures works but rather useless if you don't have a preview .

Regards

beflapje

beflapje

Oct 16, 2007
green preview screen when using camera app

Hi ,

I have the same issue using omega rom 35 .
When i startup my s3 and i use the camera it shows the preview ok .
When i close the camera app and open it again my preview turns green .

However taking pictures works but rather useless if you don't have a preview .

Regards

beflapje

It appears to be related to the eyxnos patch - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2050297

Fix here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2052675

Regards

Beflapje

edilsonka

Mar 4, 2007
got to solve it ... for while

Dear all,
I believe that got to fix this issue - had downloaded Ad Detector software from Google Play, and had noticed that there were 29 apps with AdMob plugin on it - had deleted some of the infected software and the camera is now working?

If you have free software installed in your mobile, try to delete it and check it if your mobile camera is working again ... :)