Other device, comparisons to other devices, and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the Note III in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.

Last edited:

jbryson16

Jul 9, 2010
Louisville
Are the Nexus 5 or HTC Max serious competitors for the att note 3? What about the Chinese smartphones(cyanogen phone, etc) coming out soon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
I wanna know how the G2 and Note 3 compare.

I currently own both g2 and note3.

To be honest, g2 is really an awesome phone and I'd choose it over note 3 any day. It's fast smooth and about same amount of available ram. Lg stole all the software features from touchwiz and incorporated in g2.

Double tap to wake up a phone is an awesome feature that I miss also in note 3. Camera on g2 is superior and comes with an optical image stabilization which (I think) is missing on note 3.

Another thing to note is that g2 can be rooted and (AT&T) note3 cant be. I'm aheavy modder and flasher but for some reason I don't feel the need to root note3 or g2 either.

Now why do I like note 3 is because its a note series phone. I love the s-pen. At my work I have a choice of carrying a notebook and a g2 or just a note 3. Well I choose note3.

I know rooting is not a priority for me right now but if it is something that matters to you then either get a g2 or a tmobile note3. Or wait for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Are the Nexus 5 or HTC Max serious competitors for the att note 3? What about the Chinese smartphones(cyanogen phone, etc) coming out soon?

Nexus 5 is a competitor for any phone, period.

Now that being said, the latest leaked spec document for nexus 5 reveals it to be similar to g2 with 600 mah less battery (2400 in nexus 5 as compared to 3000 in g2). My g2 lasts for 24 hours easily but I don't think it was a smart choice to lower the battery power of nexus 5.

My gut feeling it's that G2 will have a good dev forum.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA

To be honest, g2 is really an awesome phone and I'd choose it over note 3 any day. It's fast smooth and about same amount of available ram. Lg stole all the software features from touchwiz and incorporated in g2.

Double tap to wake up a phone is an awesome feature that I miss also in note 3. Camera on g2 is superior and comes with an optical image stabilization which (I think) is missing on note 3.

Another thing to note is that g2 can be rooted and (AT&T) note3 cant be. I'm aheavy modder and flasher but for some reason I don't feel the need to root note3 or g2 either.

Now why do I like note 3 is because its a note series phone. I love the s-pen. At my work I have a choice of carrying a notebook and a g2 or just a note 3. Well I choose note3.

I know rooting is not a priority for me right now but if it is something that matters to you then either get a g2 or a tmobile note3. Or wait for a while.

Well thanks man, i just bought a T-mobile Note 3 ( did you know that you can easily sim unlock it and use it on AT&T LTE? And the bootloader is unlocked!) but if i dont like it i definitely will go with the G2, in fact i am most certain that i will get the G2 regardless that i like the Note 3 or not.

Well thanks man, i just bought a T-mobile Note 3 ( did you know that you can easily sim unlock it and use it on AT&T LTE? And the bootloader is unlocked!) but if i dont like it i definitely will go with the G2, in fact i am most certain that i will get the G2 regardless that i like the Note 3 or not.

Lol I know. I'm planning on keeping both. Actually I've got a Moto x also coming. I have to make a choice between Moto x and g2. I want a smaller phone to compliment my note. I'm absolutely loving note though. Spen opens up so many opportunities. Slightly larger screen gives me a good reading experience on kindle app. Love this phablet.

jbryson16

Jul 9, 2010
Louisville
Lol I know. I'm planning on keeping both. Actually I've got a Moto x also coming. I have to make a choice between Moto x and g2. I want a smaller phone to compliment my note. I'm absolutely loving note though. Spen opens up so many opportunities. Slightly larger screen gives me a good reading experience on kindle app. Love this phablet.

Why carry multiple phones? A big part of my reasoning for purchasing the note 3 was to eliminate the need for multiple devices.

Why carry multiple phones? A big part of my reasoning for purchasing the note 3 was to eliminate the need for multiple devices.

Won't carry multiple phones at same time. Just for different occasions. If I'm going for a party, it makes more sense for me to carry smaller moto x. At work I'd like to have, well, a note.

Reactions: jbryson16

jbryson16

Jul 9, 2010
Louisville
Won't carry multiple phones at same time. Just for different occasions. If I'm going for a party, it makes more sense for me to carry smaller moto x. At work I'd like to have, well, a note.

Why the motto x? It doesn't seem to be up to part with the g2, Nexus 5, or note 3.

Zwarx

Jul 27, 2012
Gotta say, the locked bootloader is killing me. Not enough to make me return this awesome device, but I am definitely looking at my HTC One with longing again. It's hard going from S-off to a full on locked bootloader.

Love the home button though. And the size is ridiculous compared to the one. Took a look at the LG G2, don't think I could ever do an LG phone.

Reactions: pham818

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I cant get the G2 off my mind, it looks really nice. In my opinion both the G2 and Note 3 are the best phone on the market alongside the Iphone 5s. But the Note 3 has advantages that are unique to the Note line.

Last edited:

wudien

Feb 15, 2012
Columbia
Im test driving the Note 3 on ATT right now. I have 14 days to decide if it is right for me or I will probably get the Moto X. The note 3 is really nice but the locked bootloader could be a deal breaker. The battery is also not very impressive, at least on ATT w/ all the bloatware (of which i've deactivated all that I could). I would have liked to have the Moto X -like app that allows you to do hands free voice commands, but as my battery isnt lasting as long as i would like, that app would absolutely destroy the likelihood of all day battery (let alone half day).

Last edited:

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Just for fun - I tried the new AnTuTu X - It's meant to be "manipulation proof"?

da8ymeza.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 4

Claribelsmith

May 27, 2013
i too have experienced that g2 is way better than the g3 and for the most good i also own both the version from Samsung and why again it is happening that older tech is passing over the newer one

OmegaNemesis28

Nov 30, 2012
Ran my own Note benchmark gamut.

3DMark Ice Storm Benchmark
Note 3 = 60.4FPS Test 1 ; 54.1 FPS Test 2; 30.8 FPS Physics; 57.2 FPS demo
Note 2 = 8.9FPS Test 1; 18.6 FPS Test 2; 32.5 FPS Physics; 19 FPS Demo

3DMark IceStorm Chip Benchmark
15911 vs 2771 score

Unreal Epic Citadel Benchmark
Note 3: 1920x1080 60FPS
Note 2: 1280x720 46.3 FPS

Quadrant
Note 3 = 20079
Note 2 = 6664

AnTuTu Benchmark
Note 3 = 28560
Note 2 = 19659

AnTuTu OpenGL ES 3.0
Note 3 = 3840
Note 2 = 1551

Speedtest.net (Connected to Campus 802.1x N wifi / Speedtest Clifton NJ server)
Note 3 = 8.57Mbps Down ; 4.68 Mbps Up
Note 2 = 8.13 Mbps Down; 1.57 Mbps Up

Reactions: mw86 and htc9420

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday I got the chance to play with the gold model of the M8 at Best Buy. I'm sorry... call it "bias." Call it "ignorance." Whatever. I honestly don't get the hype over this turd. Seems to me like there's only two groups of people who are wetting their pants over this thing. Group A – the group that is brainwashed and has bought into this ridiculous "build quality" fad that's emerged in the last few years. And Group B – the people who are just easily impressed with "the new kid on the block," and they simply must have the newest device on the market. Otherwise, I honestly don't see how a Note 3 user (specifically) could be interested in this device. I was bored out of my mind playing with this thing.

(1) I think it's uglier than the original HTC One. (2) Sense is boring as crap. There's a reason why I gave up on the EVO. I was getting so sick of Sense and it's lack of features and change in design. (3) Speaking of features... this phone basically has none — at least when compared to the Note 3. I kept waiting to see all of these amazing capabilities that this phone had, that would make me envious, but alas none were to be found. (4) This build quality argument seems grossly overrated. I was totally unimpressed with the design of the M8. Most people slap their phones in cheap plastic cases, to begin with. So that automatically makes build quality a moot point. Secondly, I have owned many many many phones throughout the years, many of them the best smartphones of their time. I cannot recall a single time where I was like, "Geesh, I am just in love with holding this phone because the build quality is like sex on a beach!". That's something I've never cared about or even thought about. As long as the phone can withstand drops and scratches, that's what I'm concerned about. I want an attractive design, but what good is an attractive design if I have to throw an ugly case on the phone? And as far as I know, metal phones are especially prone to damage from drops, they scratch easily, dent easily, and scuff easily.

I simply could not find a single reason to seriously consider (cough) "upgrading" to the M8, and I am currently off-contract with AT&T. The screen-size is a downgrade. The UI is a downgrade for me. The phones features and capabilities are a downgrade for me. The physical design is a downgrade for me. The on-screen buttons are a downgrade for me. I am totally not interested. I really don't understand the hype over this phone. Sorry. There's a reason why the Note 3 is still the more expensive device on- and off-contract for the two devices. The Note 3 is just the more capable and feature rich phone. :p

2nino5h.jpg
    Please use this thread to discuss devices other than and any comparisons with other devices on or about the Note III in this thread and any other off-topic issues that are not needing a new thread.

Post with respect, this is a helpful community, hope we all learn from this stuff in here.
    I wanna know how the G2 and Note 3 compare.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Nexus 5 is a competitor for any phone, period.

Now that being said, the latest leaked spec document for nexus 5 reveals it to be similar to g2 with 600 mah less battery (2400 in nexus 5 as compared to 3000 in g2). My g2 lasts for 24 hours easily but I don't think it was a smart choice to lower the battery power of nexus 5.

My gut feeling it's that G2 will have a good dev forum.

Ran my own Note benchmark gamut.

3DMark Ice Storm Benchmark
    Note 3 = 60.4FPS Test 1 ; 54.1 FPS Test 2; 30.8 FPS Physics; 57.2 FPS demo
    Note 2 = 8.9FPS Test 1; 18.6 FPS Test 2; 32.5 FPS Physics; 19 FPS Demo

3DMark IceStorm Chip Benchmark
    15911 vs 2771 score

Unreal Epic Citadel Benchmark
    Note 3: 1920x1080 60FPS
    Note 2: 1280x720 46.3 FPS

Quadrant
    Note 3 = 20079
    Note 2 = 6664

AnTuTu Benchmark
    Note 3 = 28560
    Note 2 = 19659

AnTuTu OpenGL ES 3.0
    Note 3 = 3840
    Note 2 = 1551

Speedtest.net (Connected to Campus 802.1x N wifi / Speedtest Clifton NJ server)
    Note 3 = 8.57Mbps Down ; 4.68 Mbps Up
    Note 2 = 8.13 Mbps Down; 1.57 Mbps Up
    Hello my name is Steven! I recently bought a Note 3 around a week ago. Before this I had a Galaxy Note 2 i317. Im just gonna get straight forward with spme things

So the first thing I noticed is how the back feels. The black feels more like leather "its plastic" and little bit more grippy then the white one....(but the white one feels like plastic...blah) Then theirs that weight it's much lighter then Note 2. And the Note 3 is slightly narrower. So just all of this is a great plus. It simply feels better to hold :)

Screen. .....This screen is just jaw dropping the pixel density is extremely high the whites look white it's amazing. On the note 2 the whites just looked a little blue to me but that's just all changed with the note 3 the screen is crisp the colors are beautiful and and slightly saturated (but not as bad as the note 2) but I like that. Also the brightness is much higher you can easily read or play it outside.

Camera. The camera is just damn good too and the screen helps a lot to here's some pic I took decide for your self there's 1280-720 slow motion video that's takes 1/2 1/4 1/8 of video at 120fps. Also it records 60FPS ( optional) and it looks crazy good :p and all the other options for sences ect.

Hardware. The power buttion and volume buttons are the same just as clicky. The volume buttons are slighty higher then before "it might affect some people with small hangs". The home button has more of click. Think of the silver bar around the note 2 button and have those together to make a button it self so your not pressing down into the sliver bar. So this makes a bigger more stable button that clicks way better. The pen can be put in ether way. Its like a pen that someone sat on lol its flat on top and bottem. The tip is rubber yay! The pen also works with the capacitive buttons double yay!

Battery. When I heard the battery was only 100mah bigger then the Note 2 I thought holy crap the battery is gonna suck.. I was wrong just because its more powerfull and it has a higher res display the battery life is about the same I get roughly 4-5 not bad :)

My name is Steven and I am very happy I bought this phone :)

So the choice is yours are you getting a Note 3? Let me know! Got any questions? Let me know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app