Record-breaking display responsiveness (touch latency) on the M8 ahead of Z2 and S5

Search This thread

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Microsoft explained that high performance touch performance is becoming increasingly key aspect of a mobile device's user experience.
Microsoft report on Display latency

Apparently the HTC One's diplay latency is record breaking - measured at 46ms, ahead of other 2014 flagship smartphones, in particular well ahead of the S5 and Z2.

Source: Lesnumeriques.fr

It is not at the 1-20ms recommended by Microsoft but it is a great step forward considering the fact that 2014 smartphones barely go below 70ms. The previous record was held by the Note 3 with 67ms.

Here is the 2014 smartphone ranking:
  1. HTC One M8: 46ms
  2. Note 3: 67ms
  3. Asus Padfone: 73ms
  4. iPhone 5S: 75ms (same as iPhone 5)
  5. Nexus 5 : 75ms
  6. S5: 91ms (165ms with activated air view and deactivated "increased sensibility")
  7. Z2 100ms (glove mode)
  8. LG G2: 110ms

Note: the fastest tablet has 54ms (IPad Mini Retina)

Here is an overview for older devices:

attachment.php

It will be interesting to track the performance of other devices: S5, Z2, etc...

Source
Lesnumeriques.fr

Here are touch latencies for tablets:

attachment.php

Source: appglimpse.com

Attachments

• agawi-1.jpg
    agawi-1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39,105
Last edited:

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
This is an incredibly important aspect of every phone that people shouldn't ignore like they seem to. Touch latency is one of the many reasons why iPhones have always seemed so snappy. Now that HTC has even surpassed Apple, it shows that, while Android has been relatively smooth for a while, with proper touch latency it can blow you away. Good job HTC and, yes, I did notice.

MultiLockOn

Jan 14, 2012
I have a hard time trusting that chart, I'm not anti Samsung or anything (in fact I love them) but there is no way in hell the s3 tested faster than the HTC One. Or any Samsung phone for that matter, the delay in touch responsiveness has always been my biggest gripe with Sammy products.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
Moderator Information

Guys as per forum rules, please keep the discussions device specific. Comparing phones against each other in a general way is against forum rules. If this keeps happening I will close the thread.

I think this is one aspect of a phone where you need reference benchmark to put it into perspective. As long as the information is quantitative and not subjective, I think it serves the purpose of information HTC One M8 potential purchasers about how the device stands in the market.

Posts in other threads compare camera picture quality and benchmark results, which are much more controversial. I think as long as the comparison is factual,specific and quantified it does not fall into the "degenerative" opinion-based topic, which attracts haters and trolls, and I think that's the spirit of the rule to prevent that.

Last edited:

yas1987

Jun 5, 2011
I think this is one aspect of a phone where you need reference benchmark to put it into perspective. As long as the information is quantitative and not subjective, I think it serves the purpose of information HTC One M8 potential purchasers about how the device stands in the market.

Posts in other threads compare camera picture quality and benchmark results, which are much more controversial. I think as long as the comparison is factual,specific and quantified it does not fall into the "degenerative" opinion-based topic, which attracts haters and trolls, and I think that's the spirit of the rule to prevent that.

Why is ghost ruining the party on every thread

Reactions: TYxDGAF

acPIZZA

Feb 6, 2011
Is the latency the same on the GPE? Any way to find that out?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR

I must agree with you and disagree with the moderator that threatened to close the thread. I've been on XDA for a long time and threads like this that contain information that is not widely available need to contain data about other devices to give the data recorded for the M8 something else to compare it to. If we had the touch latency data for the M8 listed and no latency data for other devices then this thread would not be as informative.

Mod, please do your best to weigh the background information required to properly convey a data set (so long as it's not illegal/warez related) against the rules of XDA. Sometimes they need to be bent just a wee bit to convey certain information more completely to the layperson.

600+delay how can you possibly use a device like that

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes 0,6 sec but that's only one device. Thinking about it even 170 ms is a lot. Almost one 1/5th of a second...

I wondered that myself: what sort of a P.O.S. is that machine? On one hand, we're all so used to more-or-less 'immediate' response from our phones/computers/etc. that I'm sure anywhere else 600ms wouldn't bother us (vending machines, for example), but on the other hand when in comparison to other well-known hardware I'm sure we'd feel completely pissed off using the JMI whatever-it's-called.

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
I must agree with you and disagree with the moderator that threatened to close the thread. I've been on XDA for a long time and threads like this that contain information that is not widely available need to contain data about other devices to give the data recorded for the M8 something else to compare it to. If we had the touch latency data for the M8 listed and no latency data for other devices then this thread would not be as informative.

Mod, please do your best to weigh the background information required to properly convey a data set (so long as it's not illegal/warez related) against the rules of XDA. Sometimes they need to be bent just a wee bit to convey certain information more completely to the layperson.

Putting in my +1 for this opinion as well. Given that this is the "general" board, it makes sense to discuss comparisons to other devices so long as messages remain on-topic to the top-level device. Messages forked off discussing only the GS5 vs Note3 would obviously be grounds for deletion.

With that out of the way, I brought up this touch response information to a developer I know who does a lot of work with both Android and iOS. His thoughts were, yea, the faster touch responsiveness of the M8 is nice, it's really nothing to get excited about. The numbers being reported about touch response time are just that; touch response time. What we need to be concerned about is application and overall response time rather than just touch.

Sure, touch is important since it's the first step in that overall equation, but while your input signal to the M8 device might be recorded by the touch sensor just that split second faster than other devices, it still loses the race in terms of application responsiveness. If an app on the M8 (or any Android device for that matter) takes 250ms to open (ballpark), that's still slower than iOS. Granted, iOS plays small tricks to hide the time it takes to launch some apps, but in general, the platform is still faster in terms of overall responsiveness and that feeling of snappiness.

Playing with the Sprint version of the One (M8) the other night, I really couldn't tell much of a difference at all in terms of overall response time between the M8 and M7 they had on display. The M8 actually felt only marginally faster than my current Evo3D.

puremind

Feb 24, 2008
Frankfurt
I was thinking the same thing. First two devices I looked for (besides the M8) was the Nexus 5 and the iPad Air.

Seems like this chart is slightly outdated.

The source web site is linked. They do this test in every review so anyone can look up their favorite device. I looked this up for you:
Nexus 5 : 75ms
IPad Mini Retina: 54ms
iPad Air: 58ms

Last edited:
Reactions: rotchcrocket04

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Microsoft explained that high performance touch performance is becoming increasingly key aspect of a mobile device's user experience.
    Microsoft report on Display latency

Apparently the HTC One's diplay latency is record breaking - measured at 46ms, ahead of other 2014 flagship smartphones, in particular well ahead of the S5 and Z2.

Source: Lesnumeriques.fr

It is not at the 1-20ms recommended by Microsoft but it is a great step forward considering the fact that 2014 smartphones barely go below 70ms. The previous record was held by the Note 3 with 67ms.

Here is the 2014 smartphone ranking:
    1. HTC One M8: 46ms
    2. Note 3: 67ms
    3. Asus Padfone: 73ms
    4. iPhone 5S: 75ms (same as iPhone 5)
    5. Nexus 5 : 75ms
    6. S5: 91ms (165ms with activated air view and deactivated "increased sensibility")
    7. Z2 100ms (glove mode)
    8. LG G2: 110ms

Note: the fastest tablet has 54ms (IPad Mini Retina)

Here is an overview for older devices:

attachment.php

It will be interesting to track the performance of other devices: S5, Z2, etc...

Source
    Lesnumeriques.fr

Here are touch latencies for tablets:

attachment.php

Source: appglimpse.com
    Moderator Information

Guys as per forum rules, please keep the discussions device specific. Comparing phones against each other in a general way is against forum rules. If this keeps happening I will close the thread.

Why is ghost ruining the party on every thread
    I was thinking the same thing. First two devices I looked for (besides the M8) was the Nexus 5 and the iPad Air.

Seems like this chart is slightly outdated.

The source web site is linked. They do this test in every review so anyone can look up their favorite device. I looked this up for you:
    Nexus 5 : 75ms
    IPad Mini Retina: 54ms
    iPad Air: 58ms