[Q] Android media process -- 100% CPU, how to permanently disable?

Search This thread

mrmagmrmag

Jul 30, 2010
On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 running 'In Paris V4' with preshoot's kernel I have the following problem:

Android media process hogs CPU (47%, which means 100% for one thread on this dual core device).

The device was running fine for a few months, so the problem is not the ROM/kernel but was caused by something else later on.

I would like to fix this problem (without reformatting/reflashing the whole ROM). If there is no easy solution I just want to disable it, but could not figure out how.

Killing the process helps for some time, but after some minutes/hours the process is back. I tried 'pm disable com.android.providers.media' as well as 'pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.media.MediaScannerReceiver' -- both with no result (it helps for a few minutes but then the process is back again!).

I don't know how/where this process is started so that I can make a modification there to disable it or which package I should delete to get rid of the process.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

mrmagmrmag

Jul 30, 2010
This obviously seems to be the wrong board I am posting that supposedly simple question in -- could somebody please point me in the right direction and I will ask again in a more appropriate board.

nightmarebadger

Jan 31, 2010
Ljubljana
www.natan.termitnjak.net
I'd say the board is the right one ... but at least I can't help you here, as I don't know the answer :).

My only advice would be to flash a newer ROM, isn't inParis kinda "outdated"? I think android.media has something to do with connecting USB devices to the tab, since it's the thing that crashes on ICS KANGs when you plug out your USB stick ... but that's all I can help you with (if it's any help) :p

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
On my Galaxy Tab 10.1 running 'In Paris V4' with preshoot's kernel I have the following problem:

Android media process hogs CPU (47%, which means 100% for one thread on this dual core device).

The device was running fine for a few months, so the problem is not the ROM/kernel but was caused by something else later on.

I would like to fix this problem (without reformatting/reflashing the whole ROM). If there is no easy solution I just want to disable it, but could not figure out how.

Killing the process helps for some time, but after some minutes/hours the process is back. I tried 'pm disable com.android.providers.media' as well as 'pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.media.MediaScannerReceiver' -- both with no result (it helps for a few minutes but then the process is back again!).

I don't know how/where this process is started so that I can make a modification there to disable it or which package I should delete to get rid of the process.

Freeze the app with Titanium Backup or use this specific purpose app from the market
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.addz.mediascannerroot
Worked for me

slack04

May 4, 2010

search pershoot's thread... Or check his website... it's there...

Reactions: mrmagmrmag

slack04

May 4, 2010
@slack04

Thanks a lot -- I used this solution:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1258302

to automatically kill the process once it starts running. No real solution, but it helps until I manage to update the tab to ICS.

Honestly, I was going to say that you'll spend less time doing the ICS update than looking for this; especially on that ROM (great ROM.... 6 months ago...). I'd suggest go with the last milestone from Romann.

mrmagmrmag

Jul 30, 2010
Thanks -- tried to flash latest Milestone and b26 releases. Unfortunately VPN is not working and I can only download apps via marked when connected to a VPN (even if this does not change my IP as I often just connect to my Router). So -- until VPN is supported with any ICS ROM I am stuck with my old In Paris 4 (with pershoot kernel to mount SMB shares via CIFS).

Benzoman

Jan 9, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks -- tried to flash latest Milestone and b26 releases. Unfortunately VPN is not working and I can only download apps via marked when connected to a VPN (even if this does not change my IP as I often just connect to my Router). So -- until VPN is supported with any ICS ROM I am stuck with my old In Paris 4 (with pershoot kernel to mount SMB shares via CIFS).

I can understand if you'd just rather wait because of having to bother with reinstalling every thing, but it looks like you can change ROMs quickly. So why not goto Task14 while you wait for ICS?
There might be device issue I'm not aware of also, so just wondering.

If you can read this, thank the person that taught you how.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

search pershoot's thread... Or check his website... it's there...