SDXC in Droid 3

Search This thread

edmann

Sep 19, 2010
Santa Barbara, Ca
I bought a SDXC 64gb SanDisk micro mini memory card for $100+ tax. I followed instructions and got an error message about the card being damaged. I was supposed to ignore and format and it anyway and it should be recognized. It wasn't. I had trouble (lots of it) (transfering 25gb takes awhile)until I found this link:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=33424.0 How to use SDXC and rockbox. (In my case anyway.)

You won't get the speeds and performance of the SDXC, but you get the space. I needed it cause of the many flac files I have. Have fun, I am.

edmann

Sep 19, 2010
Santa Barbara, Ca
Just curious...but why do you have so many flac files?
Music files..? Ripping a cd at 192kbps compared to 320kbps is a noticeable difference. Flac music files bitrates are anywhere from 854kbps up to 1038kbps+ To my ears, the inner music quality, transients, in the background of the music, is present in the flac files. Superior quality and listening pleasure. PS seems
to be a noticeable difference with the SDXC, a little quicker

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
Music files..? Ripping a cd at 192kbps compared to 320kbps is a noticeable difference. Flac music files bitrates are anywhere from 854kbps up to 1038kbps+ To my ears, the inner music quality, transients, in the background of the music, is present in the flac files. Superior quality and listening pleasure. PS seems
to be a noticeable difference with the SDXC, a little quicker

I'm sorry but you won't be able to hear the difference between 320kbps variable MP3 and a flac on your droid 3 with normal headset.
Either you're using a wrong encoder or wrong source files.
Use 320 VBR not constant.

edmann

Sep 19, 2010
Santa Barbara, Ca
So your question was just a bait to give your opinion about what I can or cannot hear? You must be really bored. Maybe the fact is YOU can't hear the difference and your projecting that so to protect your short comings? You may want to ASK a question instead of what ever it is your trying to say.? PS REread my reply to your question cause I don't think you understoodwhat I wrote. And try to have manners up to your "Senior" statis>

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
So your question was just a bait to give your opinion about what I can or cannot hear? You must be really bored. Maybe the fact is YOU can't hear the difference and your projecting that so to protect your short comings? You may want to ASK a question instead of what ever it is your trying to say.? PS REread my reply to your question cause I don't think you understoodwhat I wrote. And try to have manners up to your "Senior" statis>

No, YOU cannot hear it either. You THINK you hear it (placebo) OR you don't know how to encode your files.
Even if you would be a audiophile and was even able to hear the difference, you would never be able to hear it via a droid 3 and headphones.
Try 320kbps VBR from the source file with a proper encoder.

Last edited:

eww245

Aug 19, 2008
Throop
Guys why the argument about audio quality the question was about using an SDXC card. Plain and simple flac is able to proudce higher frequencies. Uncompressed WAV, which is the same as a CDFS, will contain upto 20kHz, high quality mp3 will maybe get 16 or 18kHz because of the compression. A violin or cymbals has sounds way beyond what an mp3 is capable of, but will be heard with flac or wav. While flac is still compressed it IS better than any mp3. In either format higher frequencies can be reproduced with say a, harmonizer or by changing the phase . Like my audio receiver has some type of "filter" to help reproduce what is lost with compressed audio but will never be the same as the original. Any modern headphones and headphone ouput are able to produce the higher spectrum of frequencies, including the Droid 3.

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
Guys why the argument about audio quality the question was about using an SDXC card. Plain and simple flac is able to proudce higher frequencies. Uncompressed WAV, which is the same as a CDFS, will contain upto 20kHz, high quality mp3 will maybe get 16 or 18kHz because of the compression. A violin or cymbals has sounds way beyond what an mp3 is capable of, but will be heard with flac or wav. While flac is still compressed it IS better than any mp3. In either format higher frequencies can be reproduced with say a, harmonizer or by changing the phase . Like my audio receiver has some type of "filter" to help reproduce what is lost with compressed audio but will never be the same as the original. Any modern headphones and headphone ouput are able to produce the higher spectrum of frequencies, including the Droid 3.

I'm not saying MP3 V0 is the same as a FLAC file. Sure, if you go and use a frequency analyser you will find that the MP3 might be weaker above 16k hz.
However with normal headset and droid 3 you will not easily hear the difference..especially since the ear will not pick up such small differences at such high frequency.. maybe if you're 10 years old and have perfect ears.

Not to mention most music will never make much use of 16k> frequency.

But be my guest and waste GBs of space by using FLAC

edmann

Sep 19, 2010
Santa Barbara, Ca
Even in the face of overwhelming facts some brains cannot grasp ideas much less facts , outside their world. There seems to be a movement of ignorance, as in fashionable. Some people seem to be locked in a dual of out stupefying eachother. The phone carriers are a good example of this. The things that come out of their mouths is devoid any reasoning that covers more than a handful of like minds. Its really sad that our site is not untouched by this epidemic. I believe my part is to supply truthful information, less I declare "IMO" (or I think). Have a nice day.

Last edited:

eXecuter.bin

May 10, 2011
Guys shut up about the FLAC argument already. No one else cares and it is completely irrelevant to the thread. If you guys want to debate about it take it to PM or something.

On topic question: what kind of read/write speed are you getting with the sdxc card formatted using this method? What is its original speed?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

edmann

Sep 19, 2010
Santa Barbara, Ca
I have not been using bench type apps since before D3 CM9. CM7 I had scores above 3K. Quadrant Standard score: 2658 * CPU 4824 * Mem.1650 *I/O 4583 * 2D 269 * 3D 2023 with the SDXC. I could not use the SDXC unless it was formatted in fat32. If there is an app more specific in benching read/write let me know. I wound up with 59.45gb after formatting.

jellman

Aug 26, 2010
Roseville
No, YOU cannot hear it either. You THINK you hear it (placebo) OR you don't know how to encode your files.
Even if you would be a audiophile and was even able to hear the difference, you would never be able to hear it via a droid 3 and headphones.
Try 320kbps VBR from the source file with a proper encoder.

wow you are stubborn beats audio engine a placebo too? i have 2 pairs of decent headphones aka not 500$ but yes you can hear the difference between a flac and mp3. both mp3 and flacs of their songs test em http://bit.ly/IxgcNc

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

also people who use crappy headphone wana hear crappy sound? or just dont care and wouldnt be here?

DoubleYouPee

Jul 28, 2011
wow you are stubborn beats audio engine a placebo too? i have 2 pairs of decent headphones aka not 500$ but yes you can hear the difference between a flac and mp3. both mp3 and flacs of their songs test em http://bit.ly/IxgcNc

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

also people who use crappy headphone wana hear crappy sound? or just dont care and wouldnt be here?

Only that whole topic I linked agrees with me.. and I'm stubborn??
Gimme the FLAC and MP3 then

AragornPE

Dec 28, 2010
Recife
I doubt Droid 3 can reproduce some of the frequencies a flac file can have. That being said, thanks for the tip about the sdxc!

Rocking with my M3 and XDA app