Android v4.0.1 ICS VirtualBox VM

Search This thread

yn0t

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or even if anyone would be interested in this, but I spent some time yesterday working with the Ice Cream Sandwich source and was able to get Android compiled for VirtualBox. This is virgin AOSP using the included 'vbox-x86' make target, so there were no changes made to the source. I thought some people may just want to see ICS and tinker rather than go through some of the hoops so I decided to release the VM.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL NOT GIVE ANY SUPPORT FOR THIS.

At the link below are some screenshots of it running in VirtualBox as well as the link to download.

UPDATE... Since I'm a newb (never posted but been here for a while), I can't post the link. But, here are some screenshots. Perhaps I can get external links approved from the moderators?

Peace.

Attachments

• Android_v4.0.1_ICS_Apps.jpg
    Android_v4.0.1_ICS_Apps.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3,387
  • Android_v4.0.1_ICS_Settings.jpg
    Android_v4.0.1_ICS_Settings.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,203
Last edited:
Reactions: Jon2555 and Un Loko

yn0t

Jan 6, 2011
Ok, let's try this... Remove the spaces.

doubleu doubleu doubleu . gregorystrike . com/2011/11/16/my-first-compile-of-android-v4-0-1-ics-running-in-virtual-box/

Also, since I haven't figured out mouse support yet the lock screen PIN is set to '1111' so it can be unlocked.

Reactions: tecwizrd

Harry Pothead

Dec 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)

error code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

doesn't work for me :(

cykotix

Dec 14, 2010
Got it working as well. Can't seem to get the internet to work on it though despite trying different settings under Network Options within vbox. Everytime I try to access the widgets, the launcher crashes unfortunately. Very cool to actually play around with it a bit though!

Last edited:

grimreaper2

Dec 16, 2010
i get a kernel panic when i run it

when i run it (after getting the network error and switching to NAT), i now get the lines at boot up:

[ 5.006614] init: Timed out waiting for /dev/.coldboot_done
[ 5.008619] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

after which is then just stops bootup.

Running virtualbox 4.1.6, had no extensions installed, so tried installing extensions and no change.

Any ideas?

snowball1288

Nov 18, 2011
when i run it (after getting the network error and switching to NAT), i now get the lines at boot up:

[ 5.006614] init: Timed out waiting for /dev/.coldboot_done
[ 5.008619] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

after which is then just stops bootup.

Running virtualbox 4.1.6, had no extensions installed, so tried installing extensions and no change.

Any ideas?

I ran into the exact same error. Tried running virtualbox on a co-worker's laptop and the same image booted just fine there. I can't say for sure, but I suspect it may have had to do with virtualization extensions (Intel VT-x or AMD-V) being unavailable on my (very old) machine.

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

I have done my own compile of the master branch:

VM Host:
Ubuntu 11.10

Build Env:
Ubuntu 10.04.3, fresh install in a VM
2GB Ram, 14GB Swap

It was a painful build, taking about 19 hours (swapping killed me), but it avoided the need to dedicate any real hardware to the task. oh well. its done now.

I'm also unable to get mouse or ethernet support. I have managed to navigate into the settings with the keyboard and disabled the lock screen entirely, which makes things easy. I've also attempted to attach a USB mouse and pass it through virtualbox's usb sharing. No luck.

Sound is also, as far as my image is concerned, non-functional at the moment.

....fun nonetheless.

Last edited:

roglio

Sep 29, 2006
Hi, how you arranged the ics .img files into one single .vdi file?
I've already compiled the whole ics for vbox_x86 but I'm not able to run it!

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
Mouse support & network

I tried the Virtualbox image. It runs out of the box on a VT enabled Windows 7 host. But as other posters recognized, there is no mouse and network support.

Today I did a little investigation before I wrote this blog entry ([w w w . borncity. com /blog/2011/11/25/ice-cream-sandwich-testdrive-in-virtualbox/ - unfortunately in German - therefore I will post the translated main parts below). The beef: I found a japanese guy who stated that he just managed to build also a Virtualbox image. And after I looked his Youtube video, it seems that he was able to build an image with mouse support and network. Unfortunately he hasn't released a dowloadable VBox-image.

I haven't time yet to set up my own build environment. But for thouse willing to experiment, here are some build commands obtained from these japanese web site).

Here are the commands to set up development environment

$ sudo add-apt-repository "deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
$ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf
build-essential \ zip curl zlib1g-dev libc6-dev
lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs \ x11proto-core-dev
libx11-dev lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev \
libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32
tofrodos python-markdown \ libxml2-utils

Then it's necessary to download the ICS sources.

$ mkdir ~/bin
$ PATH=~/bin:$PATH
$curl https:// dl-ssl. google. com /dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
$ chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
$ mkdir WORKING_DIRECTORY
$ cd WORKING_DIRECTORY
$ repo init –u https:// android. googlesource. com /platform/manifest -b android-4.0.1_r1

The japanese guy wrote that he need to try it several times, because of high traffic on google's server. After downloading source, here are the build commands for a virtualbox image

$ . build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch vbox_x86-eng

# it takes approximately 6 hours - depend on machine …
$ make –j4

# enable network to configure DNS
$ echo "net.eth0.dns1=8.8.8.8" >> out/target/product/vbox_x86/root/default.prop

$ echo "net.dns1=8.8.8.8" >> out/target/product/vbox_x86/root/default.prop
$ make
# Create Installer-VDI
$ make android_disk_vdi

Afterward the .vdi-disk should be available. As I wrote above, I haven't tested it at all. But maybe it will be helpful for thouse involved in building x86 ICS for Virtualbox.

HTH

Cheers

Günter Born

[Update: merde - it seem's that the anti spam policy of XDA developers prevents me to add the right build code - which containing links to the repositories - into my posting. Have a look into my blog post and also in the linked japanese page to obtain the whole build commands. sorry for that.]

noneabove

May 1, 2011
I keep getting:

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ProgressProxy
Interface: IProgress {c20238e4-3221-4d3f-8891-81ce92d9f913}

Anyone have any ideas why?? :(

gborn

Nov 25, 2011
Maybe an alternative VDI image

As I reported above, the vdi-image runs here in VBox 4.1.6 portable.

@suaji: need VT-X support on your host!

BTW: As I wroted here www.borncity.com/blog/2011/11/25/running-ice-cream-sandwich-in-virtualbox/ , I've found a japanese guy who has build a vdi image with mouse & network support. His site is only in japanese, but today I managed to read his addendum. He has published a download address of his vdi image file.

Here we go: http://kie.nu/26G

Just downloading, will give it a test drive this morning.

Have fun...

Günter Born

Last edited:
Reactions: roglio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or even if anyone would be interested in this, but I spent some time yesterday working with the Ice Cream Sandwich source and was able to get Android compiled for VirtualBox. This is virgin AOSP using the included 'vbox-x86' make target, so there were no changes made to the source. I thought some people may just want to see ICS and tinker rather than go through some of the hoops so I decided to release the VM.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL NOT GIVE ANY SUPPORT FOR THIS.

At the link below are some screenshots of it running in VirtualBox as well as the link to download.

UPDATE... Since I'm a newb (never posted but been here for a while), I can't post the link. But, here are some screenshots. Perhaps I can get external links approved from the moderators?

Peace.
    ...ICS in VMware & additional stuff/info

@ciscogee: If kernel stalls with kernel panic, in most cases it is lack of VT-X support on host.

If ”init: cannot find /system/bin/servicemanager” occurs, I suppose, that something with vdi disk association is wrong. I have had it once during my attempt to transfer the image to VMware (see my notes below).

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

VT-X support?.. i dont what is it.. btw, im using Windows not Ubuntu..
    Nvr mnd, i try using VMLite 1st..
    @suaji: VT-X is a feature from your CPU that supports virtualization from CPU.

BTW - I'm also using Windows 7 as host ;-).

Just a note: VMLite uses the same restrictions as Virtualbox, because VMLite is derived from Virtualbox (like YouWave Android Emulator as well). e.g. VMLite also requires a machine with VT-X or AMD-V support.

It's crazy, I'm in contact with VMLite developers. They told me, that ICS won't run on a machine without hardware virtualization (kernel stalls), but it runs on a VT-X enabled platform, although they disabled VT-X support in Virtualbox (see screenshot in the blog article linked below).

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

Some guys here in this thread asking for a VMware image of ice cream sandwich. Just like to inform you that I managed to do the trick (I've converted the Virtualbox ISC build for VMware).

Details and a step by step tutorial are here: http://www.borncity.com/blog/2011/11/29/running-ice-cream-sandwich-in-vmware/

Maybe it's helpful

--------------------------------
    @huisinro: glad, to see you here. Concerning your suggestion, yes, it should do the trick. But maybe there is another solution. In an older blog article I reported about a honeycomb x86 test drive on Asus Eee PC 701 (that machine comes with a poor screen resolution). User @Andres Garcia left me a comment, that he managed it to install the application “LCD Resolution” and changing “LCD Dencity” to 125. Then he was able to run Honeycomb 3.2 on Eee PC 701 (his photo of his black Eee PC 701 is spread since then through the web). Maybe the guys at VMlite can try to integrate such an .apk into the ICS build (guess they will read it here ;-).

I should also mention, that the guys at VMLite corporation managed to create a vdi image with SD card support (still need to be monted manually). See dissussion here.
    Ok, let's try this... Remove the spaces.

doubleu doubleu doubleu . gregorystrike . com/2011/11/16/my-first-compile-of-android-v4-0-1-ics-running-in-virtual-box/

Also, since I haven't figured out mouse support yet the lock screen PIN is set to '1111' so it can be unlocked.
    nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)

error code:
    E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

doesn't work for me :(

Change sound settings.

@yn0t runs very fast!
    Try changing the NIC to one of the NAT (vs Bridged).