[Q] received gps dongle today but where is the software?

Search This thread

wifesabitch

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
I don't think this thread is that crazy.

On the actual dongle it says "Please update your system software to the latest version before using the GPS Extension kit".

I found this thread because my dongle doesn't work AT ALL. Kinda assumed6 I'm missing software or something so I did a search and found this thread.
I was probably just given sh*tty hardware, not surprising coming from Asus.

addi1000

Oct 17, 2009
guys, just plug in the dongle and start Google Maps and you will have a better GPS signal. there is no software to install :rolleyes:

Jan 6, 2012
Wish I was that easy, it can't find my location for me.

I'm with you. Had the dongle for a few days now, GPS still doesn't work. My signal gets better according to whatever GPS program I downloaded from the market, but google maps still doesn't lock onto me.

EDIT: Grabbed my device so I can give actual info. I'm using GPS Test. Without the dongle it sees 0 satellites in view. With the dongle it jumps to 16, but "In Use" stays at 0, which I assume means it's not locking on. I have had better before where the in use went up to like 6 or so I believe, but it didn't last long. Before I could even get directions in google maps, it would say signal lost. I've driven around with it once to make sure it's not my location and it never locked on.

Last edited:

wifesabitch

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
Just called Asus "support" about this.
Like everything else, they are of no help and just told me to RMA it (dongle AND tablet ). Like I'm going to do that. Haha

I wouldn't have even bothered but I'm going on a trip this weekend and it would have been nice to use it. :(

originalnabisco

Jan 7, 2012
Honolulu
After finally finally getting my GPS dongle, I put it in and was confused because I thought there would be a notification of sorts appearing. There was no notification. So I tested GPSTest. No GPS.
However upon waiting for about 2 minutes, out of the blue, satellites starting appearing very rapidly and I got locks very rapidly as well. (Which I would have never gotten with stock GPS)
It seems like it does work, but there is some initialization time for the GPS dongle. Or maybe I just have a faulty dongle. But at least it works.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Jesus H christ, people!

(1) YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER SOFTWARE SUPPORT. AS LONG AS YOU'RE ON .21 YOU'RE GOOD.

(2) YOU NEED AN APP LIKE SYGIC OR COPILOT TO NAVIGATE AROUND WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION.

(3) YOU NEED TO PLUG THE DONGLE INTO YOUR TFP AND GIVE IT SOME TIME TO LOCK ONTO THE GPS SIGNAL.

This place is like an amusement park. It never ceases to amaze me.

Reactions: robertg9

robertg9

Nov 29, 2007
Sterling, VA.
Jesus H christ, people!

GIVE IT SOME TIME TO LOCK ONTO THE GPS SIGNAL.

"amusement park"??? I'm thinking that it's more like a Day Care Center, filled with over-indulged, Narcissistic children.

Some info on getting a GPS lock - The first lock will take some time. It varies, even with dedicated GPS units. If you're lucky, about a min but it could take longer. I've had units that have taken well over 5 min.
Why? Because the GPS receiver has to download an entire emperis table to be able to triangulate your position. The best results are obtainable when the Sats are about 45 Degrees off the horizon...If they are directly overhead or on the horizon, it takes longer to do the triangulation.

The data that it downloads is only good for 7 days. If you don't use it in a week, it discards the data and starts all over again.
There can also be a problem if you move a great distance between readings, such as Locking your position on your drive to LA Airport - then turning everything off, and not restarting it until you arrive at Dulles Airport in Virginia.
That did happen to me one time, flying from Albany, NY to Washington, DC with a stop at Newark....When I turned my GPS on at Newark, showed I had a locked signal, but the map showed my location as in the middle of a lake in Northern NY.
Another issue some may run into is "correct" altitude measurements. That is really determined by the software app. Some vendors use a "true" circle as the shape of the earth - others use a "neat" oblong shape. The earth is neither of those. Some apps will allow you to add a correction factor, if you know your true altitude....most don't.
The last issue that can show up for some users is that it doesn't work at all inside your car, but will work outside the car. The cause of this issue is a "heated" front windshield. The only solution to that issue is an external antenna (or placing the GPS receiver outside the car). Sometimes having the receiver near a side or rear window will solve that issue. Don't know how you'll solve it with the dongle.

One app that MAY help reduce the amount of time it takes to achieve a lock is "GPSFix" in Google Play. It is supposed to keep it active, using AGPS, giving the sats and app a chance to achieve lock. Since I haven't gotten my dongle yet, I cannot verify that it works as advertised.

I do believe that the dongle will WORK AS ADVERTISED. Any issues you have are probably user issues caused by the lack of knowledge on how the GPS really works.

Happy driving
Bob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no PDF manual...the shipment is just a plastic thing with 2 lines on the sticker as instruction.

I got the. 21 ota update a month ago not last week...so I'm not sure if I have the gps dongle update or not...

Does anyone not see the implication of Asus pushing an update without any notification or dot revision?

Just forget about the pushed update. I should've never mentioned that in my thread as now people are getting it confused.

This is the last thing I can say to help, IF YOU ALREADY ON .21 UPDATE, THEN DONT WORRY. YOUR PRIME WILL AUTOMATICALLY SUPPORT THE DONGLE. You can read the manual in my GPS dongle test thread. You keep worrying about the pushed firmware but there is no need to worry about it. All you need is to be on .21. That's it. If you are, then just plug upbdongle and cut on GPS.

Why make this complicated when its the exact opposite.

I will update my thread to clear confusion up. People worrying to much about seeing a change in firmware when there is none to be seen. It was just an addition pushed to
    21. There is no physical proof or oindicator to show that. If you on. 21 update, then forget about everything else....sheesh..lol
    Are we really getting our dongles this quick? Anyone know of a way to check shipping status?

Yep, people are receiving them already. You can log on to your Asus account. Then click on GPS dongle status tab on left side near the bottom. It'll pull up your. Dongle info and tell you if its shipped off already or not. Doesn't go into more detail than THST. Like it won't tell you tracking info. It'll just say shipped off or still processing.
    Jesus H christ, people!

(1) YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER SOFTWARE SUPPORT. AS LONG AS YOU'RE ON .21 YOU'RE GOOD.

(2) YOU NEED AN APP LIKE SYGIC OR COPILOT TO NAVIGATE AROUND WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION.

(3) YOU NEED TO PLUG THE DONGLE INTO YOUR TFP AND GIVE IT SOME TIME TO LOCK ONTO THE GPS SIGNAL.