[RELEASED!] ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.5 for ATT Optimus G [tethered]

Search This thread

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Well, hallo there!

It's been a while since I've posted a release thread on XDA... I've been lurking in the shadows (and on IRC) for quite some time.

Here, I present to you a teaser of things to come:

ClockworkMod Recovery (non-touch) 6.0.1.5 for the AT&T Optimus G.

What is this?
This is a "recovery" for your phone, it allows you to install custom ROMs, back up your phone, fix it when it breaks, and much more.

This specific version is "ClockworkMod", which was created by the CyanogenMod team and Koush.
There are many recovery versions out there, I have picked ClockworkMod because it is very easy to compile and debug.
I will compile other recoveries as time permits.

Where can I get it?
UPDATE: I am now providing download links.

Please go here to download it: http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lgoptimusg/att/recoveries/

Note: this is a "tethered" build of CWM, as you can not flash it. You must use fastboot to boot the image every time you wish to enter recovery.
This is due to the locked bootloader on this device.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

This is *not* safe, and should *not* be done by anyone unsure of what they are doing.
I will post links once I have ironed out bugs, but I WILL NOT SUPPORT anyone using it to modify their phone.

Please don't use this if you don't know how to LGNPST your phone back from the dead, should you accidentally kill it.
(Also, I will find somewhere to mirror LGNPST and the related files, as I can't host them from my server due to legal reasons. I will, however, mirror the .TOT file in case LG decides to take it down.)

Instructions

Check back here in a few hours, I'll have something done by then :)

The goods!

Here's a (semi-arty) pic of it running on my Optimus G:

And, here's a video for extra proof :)

Luckily the video quality isn't potato, but the audio sure is. My explanation is that my HTC Vivid doesn't like me. An engineer's explanation would be that I was speaking softly, as it was 1:30AM at the time of recording, and the phone merely decided that my meek volume was purely background noise... at least, I think that's what an engineer would say, as I haven't graduated yet.

SPECIAL THANKS!
Here's my favorite section of an XDA post: the "special thanks to" section.
Without the help of these awesome people, I would have nothing of interest to say, and would just be a random guy with a phone.
Seriously, these guys are awesome.

Here's the list (in no special order, and by IRC name):
  • Shelnutt2
  • sextape
  • xboxfanj
  • jonasl
  • kmdm
  • synergy
  • DeamonFish
  • chachin
  • ..and Zanzibar (because why not?!)

If I've forgotten anyone, please let me know-- I want to make sure everyone who had a hand in this gets a shout-out.

Please, support these awesome people if you get a chance, or drop by the IRC channel and say hi :)

How can I contact you?
Need to get a hold of me, or anybody else? Come on IRC -- just go to http://webchat.freenode.net and use #lg-optimus-g as the channel name. Pick a nice nickname and say Hi :)

I'm IOMonster on IRC, and if I'm around, just say my name and I'll probably say hi back.

Alright everyone, hope you enjoy :)

Last edited:

ncfastls1

Oct 27, 2010
Cary, NC
Awesome work! Can't wait to see more progress on this. I'm assuming a Sprint version will be available eventually.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda app-developers app

BloodBaron

Dec 3, 2010
Winnipeg
subbed hopefully this will work with the Rogers version as well or one will come out of this,
either way spectacular work

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
So it boots cwm even with a locked bootloader?

That's peculiar. Either way great job!

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using xda app-developers app

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Although placeholder threads are generally not allowed in the Dev section, we will allow this one, as the OP has stated he will provide the link if asked. (He does not want people to brick their device.)

Last edited:
Reactions: samomamo and mdubs

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Woot, so I patched CWM with a little homegrown patch to enable you to mount the external SD card.
This is necessary since CWM disables USB mounting by default on devices with an internal storage card that is shared with the /data partition.

Here's the status update:

What works:
  • Backups to Internal and External SD card
  • Restore from Internal or External SD card
  • ADB Shell Access
  • Battery charging (it's part of the kernel, I merely verified it's working)
  • Volume Keys / Power Key
  • Zip install from internal/external SD
  • USB Mounting
  • (in theory) Wipe Data ***see note***
What doesn't works:
  • Softkeys
  • Party mode
***Note: I have NOT tested "Wipe Data" or "Format /data". I do not suggest you try either for the moment.
This is because the internal SD card resides in /data/media. Erasing /data has a chance of erasing your internal SD. There are checks in CWM for this, but until I investigate, let's just be safe. If you need to erase your phone, let the stock recovery do that.

I am still working on some instructions for a safe way to get into CWM without the potential of getting stuck in some unknown mode. I will write up the instructions tomorrow and post links to the recovery.

Thanks everyone for your kind words on IRC as well, I appreciate all your moral support!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, hallo there!

It's been a while since I've posted a release thread on XDA... I've been lurking in the shadows (and on IRC) for quite some time.

Here, I present to you a teaser of things to come:

ClockworkMod Recovery (non-touch) 6.0.1.5 for the AT&T Optimus G.

What is this?
    This is a "recovery" for your phone, it allows you to install custom ROMs, back up your phone, fix it when it breaks, and much more.

This specific version is "ClockworkMod", which was created by the CyanogenMod team and Koush.
    There are many recovery versions out there, I have picked ClockworkMod because it is very easy to compile and debug.
    I will compile other recoveries as time permits.

Where can I get it?
    UPDATE: I am now providing download links.

Please go here to download it: http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lgoptimusg/att/recoveries/

Note: this is a "tethered" build of CWM, as you can not flash it. You must use fastboot to boot the image every time you wish to enter recovery.
    This is due to the locked bootloader on this device.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

This is *not* safe, and should *not* be done by anyone unsure of what they are doing.
    I will post links once I have ironed out bugs, but I WILL NOT SUPPORT anyone using it to modify their phone.

Please don't use this if you don't know how to LGNPST your phone back from the dead, should you accidentally kill it.
    (Also, I will find somewhere to mirror LGNPST and the related files, as I can't host them from my server due to legal reasons. I will, however, mirror the .TOT file in case LG decides to take it down.)

Instructions

Check back here in a few hours, I'll have something done by then :)

The goods!

Here's a (semi-arty) pic of it running on my Optimus G:

And, here's a video for extra proof :)

Luckily the video quality isn't potato, but the audio sure is. My explanation is that my HTC Vivid doesn't like me. An engineer's explanation would be that I was speaking softly, as it was 1:30AM at the time of recording, and the phone merely decided that my meek volume was purely background noise... at least, I think that's what an engineer would say, as I haven't graduated yet.

SPECIAL THANKS!
    Here's my favorite section of an XDA post: the "special thanks to" section.
    Without the help of these awesome people, I would have nothing of interest to say, and would just be a random guy with a phone.
    Seriously, these guys are awesome.

Here's the list (in no special order, and by IRC name):
    • Shelnutt2
    • sextape
    • xboxfanj
    • jonasl
    • kmdm
    • synergy
    • DeamonFish
    • chachin
    • ..and Zanzibar (because why not?!)

If I've forgotten anyone, please let me know-- I want to make sure everyone who had a hand in this gets a shout-out.

Please, support these awesome people if you get a chance, or drop by the IRC channel and say hi :)

How can I contact you?
    Need to get a hold of me, or anybody else? Come on IRC -- just go to http://webchat.freenode.net and use #lg-optimus-g as the channel name. Pick a nice nickname and say Hi :)

I'm IOMonster on IRC, and if I'm around, just say my name and I'll probably say hi back.

Alright everyone, hope you enjoy :)
    We have very good news today.

Depending on how much work I have at work today, we may see some nice things happen here.

This latest breakthrough comes to you from Shelnutt2. Say thanks to him if you get a chance, him and g33k3r have been invaluable to this team's progress.

Now I've got to make new CWMs (ATT _AND_ Sprint!), remake the stock boot.img (so you can at least boot back into your normal ROM after this), and package this lovely snippet of code in some foolproof manner, along with a method to revert to stock without using LGNPST.

Thanks for your patience everyone!
    So, here's a quick update:

We've got lots of work to do. We have a _very_ viable avenue for FULL AOSP compatibility.

Right now, us developers need to sit down and talk about some major changes to the phone-- and plan out a 'disaster recovery' scenario, since this is no longer a 'quick modification' of the system, but a full AOSP conversion.

Without saying too much, we have quite a bit of proof to support our theories, and a member of the development team is now running the first build of Android 4.2 on his/her Optimus G with very few issues.

It suffers from the same issues that the Nexus 4 does-- for instance, benchmarks are ~4500 as opposed to the 7500 that have been reported by members of the community.

At this point in time though, we will be working "behind closed doors" for a few days until we can come up with a workable solution to this, as the current method is very long and convoluted, and will cause confusion with the Sprint version.

Since I'm posting this same reply on both of my threads (sprint and ATT), I'll give the Sprint update here too...

We've run into some issues with the Sprint version, although it is possible that they'll be easily rectified here in the coming days. Suffice it to say though that we have made less progress with the Sprint variant than the ATT variant (oddly enough). However, I've got some ideas (*cough cough* GPT partition trickery) that should fix the issue.

As usual-- PLEASE do not message myself of any of the other developers asking for an ETA. I know y'all are anxious, but if you really need to know, just stop by IRC and listen for a few mins, you'll probably hear us chattering away about hex offsets and load addresses in between me and my coworker tending to b0rked RHEL installs and Juniper firewalls.

In regards to LGNPST, look for a writeup here soon... I know it's been a source of frustration to some of you on the IRC channel, however please don't expect that I have a full 4 hours to devote to teaching commandline basics for Windows.

Once again, much thanks goes out to Shelnutt2, g33k3r, ilkinasr92, and xboxfanj for all the hard work.

Expect updates on XDA as they come, as usual.

Peace!
    Alright. So.

It's ready.

I'm packaging it all up (no serial checks for now), and will give it to select few testers tonight, then I'd like to wait a day or so, JUST in case we run into any issues.

Project FreeGee is born.

I'll make a new thread when I get home around midnight PST.
    You show me an unlocked boot loader and I'll show you my money.

I raise you proof.

You'll just have to trust that this is indeed the real thing.
    Also, sorry for the blurs, I had to blur out his serial number and a few other things, just so we don't spoil any secrets yet.
    Please bear with us, I promise unlock is around the corner (AND an awesomely easy way to do it too, without risking your phone!)
    (Thanks to g33k3r for this pic, he's awesome).

There are still issues to be solved, and I'd like to release the Sprint AND ATT versions at the same time, so we're gonna see some delays, folks.

For now, please just sit tight, relax, and enjoy your stock phone.
    It's not that bad ;)