SPB BackUp +100,000, Sprite Backup -100,000

Search This thread

powersquad

Jun 14, 2009
So I decided to update my ROM.
http://www.htc.com/sea/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=250&cat=2&dl_id=627

Have been using SPB Backup since day 1 I got my phone and have successfully used it few times to restore my data when some software corrupted another part of the phone. Finally I found out today from HTC's website after trying my phone's serial number several times under different countries that my ROM's will be from Singapore.

Got the ROM above (107.2) and saw few hotfixes as well. I already download the +SMS fix because a kind soul uploaded the cab file on xda.

So eager to have my TP2 show 288MB of RAM and the Yahoo stock update, I went to the download page. There I saw that I could also download Sprite backup tool recommended by HTC which was free for HTC Singapore users. Downloaded and Installed, did a backup and thought, great after my ROM upgrade is done, will restore the backup which will restore everything (themes, registry, menus, software etc).

Well WRONG. After the ROM update, ran Sprite back up. Gave me few options. Restore personal data, level 1, level 2 and level 3. Well I needed Level 3 to restore everything including registry since I had so much crap installed on my phone like TomTom and so many other software. Sprite back up failed miserably with a miserable error. "Cannot restore, error".

I was like 'oh shyte'. Lucky for me I take SPB Backup's before I install a software that I think might conflict or might give me problems afterwards. I had a 3rd august backup on my storage card and my laptop. Tried restoring that and VOILA, everything restored fine. Tomtom runs fine, all the software is still there, no registry errors so far, themes, menu layout etc.

Oh and after the restore I did check my ROM version again, it had changed back from 107.2 to 107.1 (the label has changed but the actual ROM is 107.2) but the hardware is still showing 288MB :)

So if you are keen to upgrade but think you are going to have to re-install everything from scratch after a ROM upgrade. SPB Backup is the answer. Best $$$ spent in my life.

ps - I don't think so if I will be this lucky when HTC provides free upgrade to Win Mobile 6.5 and try and restore a Win Mobile 6.1 backup on top of that. So word of caution. :D

Edit - I only tried Level 3 restore which apparently according to another user posted down the bottom reckons is the last resort option. Trying Level 1 would have restored fine which I never did try. So Sprite backup most prob works fine like SPB Backup.

Last edited:

radiowc

Oct 26, 2008
....Oh and after the restore I did check my ROM version again, it had changed back from 107.2 to 107.1 (the label has changed but the actual ROM is 107.2) but the hardware is still showing 288MB :)

Yup same here, I have updated my Europe ROM and after the sbp restore, it change back from 401.1 to 401.0. Still give me the 288MB.

btw, there is a registry entry that stored the ROM version which was overwrriten by SPB restore, you can be change back... at
HKLM/Software/OEM/ROMVersion to the correct version.

Last edited:

mccune

Nov 21, 2005
www.mccune.nl
Should actually be:
SASHIMI\Manual setup +100,000, Setup using Backup Program -100,000 after ROM upgrade.

I'm not a fan of restoring all data after upgrading\flashing a ROM, as probably a lot on XDA don't. Other than that it's pretty subjective. I for one like Sprite Backup more than I do other (shareware) backup programs.

I use PIM Backup to create a backup every night at 04:00am.
Once a week Sprite Backup creates a complete backup at 01:00am. This way it's finished before PIM Backup starts again.

This is my personal setup, and it hasn't let me down for years now ;)

deaad

Oct 20, 2008
Rotterdam
I also flashed the rom update and restored my backup with sprite backup.
Worked like a charm because I used Merge level 1.
The help say,
Use level 1
In case of problem use level 2
Still problems use level 3
So I don't understand why you used level 3 and complane all the same.

powersquad

Jun 14, 2009
I also flashed the rom update and restored my backup with sprite backup.
Worked like a charm because I used Merge level 1.
The help say,
Use level 1
In case of problem use level 2
Still problems use level 3
So I don't understand why you used level 3 and complane all the same.

I never tried Level 1 and Level 2. I thought Level 3 would have done the job. hmmm my bad.

Time to update the thread . :D

Last edited: