[Q] adb not recognizing device

Search This thread

patheimata

Nov 26, 2011
Southern California
Hello all, wanting to use ADB to do a backup of my device. Running OSX 10.9, Moto X 4.4.2 VZW, unrooted, stock. I've downloaded the Android SDK, ran it, and updated it; downloaded and installed the Motorola drivers; enabled USB debugging; navigated to adb and can run commands, but when I run adb devices, it does not list my device. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

D

Darth

Its your drivers. They aren't letting your PC see the phone.

Now, I know nothing of Mac....so not sure what you can do. Except uninstall them completely. Download again and be sure they're the right ones. Also, try another cable perhaps.

patheimata

Nov 26, 2011
Southern California
Its your drivers. They aren't letting your PC see the phone.

Now, I know nothing of Mac....so not sure what you can do. Except uninstall them completely. Download again and be sure they're the right ones. Also, try another cable perhaps.

The phone is being recognized by the computer. I can transfer data and connect to Android File Transfer, etc. Just isn't being recognized by ADB. I'll try reinstalling the drivers, though.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
The phone is being recognized by the computer. I can transfer data and connect to Android File Transfer, etc. Just isn't being recognized by ADB. I'll try reinstalling the drivers, though.

Sometimes adb has issues while booted into android. Try this: Unplug the phone from the usb cable. Power it off.

Now, hold down the VOL DOWN button, and power it back on. You should boot into the bootloader. The screen will say something about "AP Fastboot Mode".

Now, plug the usb cord back in. adb devices should now respond with your connected phone, and your adb commands should work.

May I ask why you are backing up your phone via adb? Or more aptly, what do you plan to do with the backup? With a locked bootloader, there should be no way you will be able to restore whatever backup you plan to make. What am I missing?

Good Luck

patheimata

Nov 26, 2011
Southern California
Sometimes adb has issues while booted into android. Try this: Unplug the phone from the usb cable. Power it off.

Now, hold down the VOL DOWN button, and power it back on. You should boot into the bootloader. The screen will say something about "AP Fastboot Mode".

Now, plug the usb cord back in. adb devices should now respond with your connected phone, and your adb commands should work.

May I ask why you are backing up your phone via adb? Or more aptly, what do you plan to do with the backup? With a locked bootloader, there should be no way you will be able to restore whatever backup you plan to make. What am I missing?

Good Luck

Thanks, I had intended to try the bootloader and quite frankly forgot as I got caught up troubleshooting other methods. I'll try that shortly and post results.

Meanwhile, you may be right. I've found lots of conflicting information. At least one person in the Motorola forums claims to have been able to do an adb backup and then restore it on his locked device after a FDR. I need to do one to try to deal with some battery issues. I was trying to find the path of least resistance for backup and restore, although I'm two days into researching this, so I can pretty well say this is no longer the path of least resistance, but I haven't wanted to give up, either, if it's possible...

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Thanks, I had intended to try the bootloader and quite frankly forgot as I got caught up troubleshooting other methods. I'll try that shortly and post results.

Meanwhile, you may be right. I've found lots of conflicting information. At least one person in the Motorola forums claims to have been able to do an adb backup and then restore it on his locked device after a FDR. I need to do one to try to deal with some battery issues. I was trying to find the path of least resistance for backup and restore, although I'm two days into researching this, so I can pretty well say this is no longer the path of least resistance, but I haven't wanted to give up, either, if it's possible...

My best advice would be to make a list of all the apps you need, save any pictures or files you need, do FDR, then use the list to re-install your apps, and copy your pictures / files back, and set everything back up the way you want it.

Even if you are able to 'backup via adb', and do a FDR, once you subsequently do your 'restore', you will have the exact same issues you are having now. Battery issues are usually caused by misbehaving apps, but even if you assume the issue is caused by something else, the method you are pursuing is ill-advised.

Ok, so when you do a FDR, it clears the data and cache partitions, essentially returning the device to factory assuming you haven't tried to do root exploits or similar.

If you do a restore, it writes to....(you guessed it!) the data and possibly cache partitions. You'll essentially be right back at square 1 so to speak because -whatever- the problem is, you'll RESTORE it...

EDIT: What kind of battery life are you getting on your X? Can you give us an idea how long it is lasting, and tell us a little about your usage patterns. How much time do you spend on calls, and how much of the time is the screen on?

With what I would consider 'average' usage, I normally get 14~18 hours between charges. This includes very little talk time, but regular internet usage, and usually 1-3 hours of internet radio streaming.

I'm just curious how long yours is lasting between charges.

Last edited:

patheimata

Nov 26, 2011
Southern California
My best advice would be to make a list of all the apps you need, save any pictures or files you need, do FDR, then use the list to re-install your apps, and copy your pictures / files back, and set everything back up the way you want it.

Even if you are able to 'backup via adb', and do a FDR, once you subsequently do your 'restore', you will have the exact same issues you are having now. Battery issues are usually caused by misbehaving apps, but even if you assume the issue is caused by something else, the method you are pursuing is ill-advised.

Ok, so when you do a FDR, it clears the data and cache partitions, essentially returning the device to factory assuming you haven't tried to do root exploits or similar.

If you do a restore, it writes to....(you guessed it!) the data and possibly cache partitions. You'll essentially be right back at square 1 so to speak because -whatever- the problem is, you'll RESTORE it...

EDIT: What kind of battery life are you getting on your X? Can you give us an idea how long it is lasting, and tell us a little about your usage patterns. How much time do you spend on calls, and how much of the time is the screen on?

With what I would consider 'average' usage, I normally get 14~18 hours between charges. This includes very little talk time, but regular internet usage, and usually 1-3 hours of internet radio streaming.

I'm just curious how long yours is lasting between charges.

Absolutely.

First, agreed on the app and cache situation. I was going to exclude apps on the adb backup and just use it for pictures, settings, text messages, etc., and leave out of the backup would be potentially corrupting it after the FDR. I've used other apps in the past to back those things up, but the promise of adb seemed easier (and more fun), thus going that route. I think I've thrown in the towel on that plan at this point, but it has been a good learning experience as I learned a lot commands and troubleshooting methods in that department.

As far as battery life goes, I've had two devices. Started with a dev edition, and while I had that, I was really impressed that it would make it all day long and still have some battery leftover at the end of the day. I exchanged it for a MotoMaker edition, though. I'm not sure I ever remember this one getting as good as battery life as the other, although it's been 5 months, so it's hard to tell. Nevertheless, 18 hours would be fantastic for me.

GSAM says my average fully charged battery lasts 14 hours, with 7 hours and 4 minutes active time. That sounds pretty on par with you, but looking at the charts, I believe they're projecting from 100%–0% as I wouldn't say I typically make it from 100%–20%, which is when I always try to recharge by. The 7 hours active is where I assume my problem lies, and thus the desire to try an FDR. I use my phone a lot, but I'm not active on it for over 7 hours a day. GSAM says my average screen on time is 2h 8min, max of 2h 33min. (These averages are over a 2 month period.) In light of that, I'm regularly charging midday to make sure I can make it through the end of the night.

Regular usage patterns include very little by way of voice calling. I felt like I was on the phone a lot today, that was probably no more than 10–15 minutes. Most of the rest of the SOT time split between texting and internet/light app usage.

Android OS is of course the far and away process consuming battery, which I realize tells us nothing and isn't that uncommon, especially when the phone isn't in use.

Over the past few months, I've tried isolating the typical likely suspects (Facebook and Facebook Messenger, Google+, location services, etc.), uninstalling them, and looking for battery improvements to no avail. The only time I ever really saw a direct correlation with a particular app that I could trace has been with Google Camera. I haven't reinstalled it since they're most recent update, but while it was installed, after it's first update I dropped to about 6–8 hours of battery life.

I've also participated a good amount in this forum on the issue: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6675cef7e3?page=31 which also happens to be where I read of user jason.motox's experience backing and and restoring with adb.

Alright, I think that's a good start from there. Would love anyone's thoughts on best practices, etc. As much as I hate the thought of adding a few apps at a time every few days, I know that's the best way to go to ensure it's not an app. But anything else that anyone else is aware of to watch out for would be useful. Also happy to post a list of currently installed apps if that would be useful.

EDIT (A thought I started and never completed in the original post): I have read in the Motorola forums of at least one user eventually having the cellular radio replaced in theirs, which solved their battery life. In a 31 page thread, I had only seen one user have a FDR actually fix their battery problems, so I haven't exactly been hopeful that it would help mine. In addition to that, since I remember my Dev Edition getting better battery life all things being equal, it does make me wonder if mine is more hardware related than app or software/firmware.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Absolutely.

First, agreed on the app and cache situation. I was going to exclude apps on the adb and just use it for pictures, settings, text messages, etc., and leave out of the backup would be potentially corrupting it after the FDR. I've used other apps in the past to back those things up, but the promise of adb seemed easier (and more fun), thus going that route. I think I've thrown in the towel on that plan at this point, but it has been a good learning experience as I learned a lot commands and troubleshooting methods in that department.

As far as battery life goes, I've had two devices. Started with a dev edition, and while I had that, I was really impressed that it would make it all day long and still have some battery leftover at the end of the day. I exchanged it for a MotoMaker edition, though. I'm not sure I ever remember this one getting as good as battery life as the other, although it's been 5 months, so it's hard to tell. Nevertheless, 18 hours would be fantastic for me.

GSAM says my average fully charged battery lasts 14 hours, with 7 hours and 4 minutes active time. That sounds pretty on par with you, but looking at the charts, I believe they're projecting from 100%–0% as I wouldn't say I typically make it from 100%–20%, which is when I always try to recharge by. The 7 hours active is where I assume my problem lies, and thus the desire to try an FDR. I use my phone a lot, but I'm not active on it for over 7 hours a day. GSAM says my average screen on time is 2h 8min, max of 2h 33min. (These averages are over a 2 month period.) In light of that, I'm regularly charging midday to make sure I can make it through the end of the night.

Regular usage patterns include very little by way of voice calling. I felt like I was on the phone a lot today, that was probably no more than 10–15 minutes. Most of the rest of the SOT time split between texting and internet/light app usage.

Android OS is of course the far and away process consuming battery, which I realize tells us nothing and isn't that uncommon, especially when the phone isn't in use.

Over the past few months, I've tried isolating the typical likely suspects (Facebook and Facebook Messenger, Google+, location services, etc.), uninstalling them, and looking for battery improvements to no avail. The only time I ever really saw a direct correlation with a particular app that I could trace has been with Google Camera. I haven't reinstalled it since they're most recent update, but while it was installed, after it's first update I dropped to about 6–8 hours of battery life.

I've also participated a good amount in this forum on the issue: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6675cef7e3?page=31 which also happens to be where I read of user jason.motox's experience backing and and restoring with adb.

Alright, I think that's a good start from there. Would love anyone's thoughts on best practices, etc. As much as I hate the thought of adding a few apps at a time every few days, I know that's the best way to go to ensure it's not an app. But anything else that anyone else is aware of to watch out for would be useful. Also happy to post a list of currently installed apps if that would be useful.

I have read in the Motorola forums of at least one user eventually having the cellular radio replaced in theirs

Who is your carrier? Are you rooted, or are you able to unlock your BL? There is a root app called "Greenify" that many people swear by. It helps identify potential 'problem apps', and actually allows you to 'hibernate' them.

This basically 'hides' the app from the system completely, but you don't notice. When you explicitly launch the app it functions 100% normally, but a short time after you exit it, it gets hibernated again so it can't suck any power.

If you are rooted, or if you may consider unlocking, I would suggest giving Greenify a try. It always sucks to have to charge mid-day.

Also remember that even if moto won't unlock your BL, the gentleman from China will...for a small fee of course ;)

patheimata

Nov 26, 2011
Southern California
Who is your carrier? Are you rooted, or are you able to unlock your BL? There is a root app called "Greenify" that many people swear by. It helps identify potential 'problem apps', and actually allows you to 'hibernate' them.

This basically 'hides' the app from the system completely, but you don't notice. When you explicitly launch the app it functions 100% normally, but a short time after you exit it, it gets hibernated again so it can't suck any power.

If you are rooted, or if you may consider unlocking, I would suggest giving Greenify a try. It always sucks to have to charge mid-day.

Also remember that even if moto won't unlock your BL, the gentleman from China will...for a small fee of course ;)

Sadly I'm a Verizon user, and since I didn't keep my Dev Edition, my bootloader is locked down hard core. I'd love to use Greenify. Had it on my GNex (speaking of atrocious battery life!), but no such luck here. I've contemplated unlocking and rooting, but I have read a lot of horror stories of OTA updates with the X for those who are unlocked and/or rooted and just didn't want to deal with all that. In moments like these, though, it makes me want to send a few bucks to that Chinese gentleman...

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Sadly I'm a Verizon user, and since I didn't keep my Dev Edition, my bootloader is locked down hard core. I'd love to use Greenify. Had it on my GNex (speaking of atrocious battery life!), but no such luck here. I've contemplated unlocking and rooting, but I have read a lot of horror stories of OTA updates with the X for those who are unlocked and/or rooted and just didn't want to deal with all that. In moments like these, though, it makes me want to send a few bucks to that Chinese gentleman...

There are just a few caveats to being unlocked:

If a new OTA comes out, it is recommended to return to stock before accepting the OTA. This is because OTAs include a "manifest" of the files that SHOULD be present on the device, along with their checksums. A modified device often won't match the manifest.

Don't let this scare you though. We may not be updated past 4.4.2 heck, 4.4.3 hasn't been released on anything yet. And if we do get another OTA, you can SBF back to stock, take the update, and then re-install everything.

In my humble opinion, the ability to use root apps (especially TETHER) is much more important to me that the minor inconvenience of possibly having to set everything back up again in the future.

If you're considering it, I recommend you take the plunge. You will get your money back if he doesn't have your code. I was able to unlock my device using the China method this 2nd time around and my device is from Nov 2013 - he still had my code. So there ARE some 2013 models in his database for sure....or I wouldn't have gotten one.

If you suspect this is a hardware problem, unlocking is ill-advised as your warranty will be void. Even if you re-lock the bootloader, it will never show "LOCKED" - it will say "RE-LOCKED" instead......and they will know you had unlocked it.

Good Luck

Last edited: