[HOW TO] Update to 2.3.6 OTA Preserving Root Access! Working!! And Tested!

Search This thread

Michael443

Feb 3, 2009
San Sebastian
Hello guys! the instructions are very easy if you do the steps correctly.
This is my first post in the development section.

First, go to market and download OTA Rootkeeper

Second, open the app, Select Create SU Backup.

Third, Select Temp UnRoot(with backup)

Fourth, uninstall Superuser, if you have superuser elite uninstall it also! and uninstall OTA Rootkeeper(dont worry it will not delete UR Backup!)

Fifth, Download and install the OTA.

After it is done and reboot, do a power cycle.

and the last step, go to market, install superuser and ota rootkeeper.

Launch OTA Rootkeeper and Select RestoreRoot, accept the superuser permission, and reboot!

AND ur back with rooted 2.3.6!

Michael

Alternate method! This is Jim's method(Thanks jim for this other way)

To do the 4ever root hack do the following:

1) open root explorer or ew file manager etc...

go to /system/bin

find the file named mount_ext3.sh
touch and hold the file name until the menu appears, go to open in text editor.

Add the following line to the VERY bottom of the file, after the fi

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk

2) SAVE!!!! the file.
3) Do the OTA update.
4) You should still have root after the update, now.

Jim

Enjoy, Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Zoide_

Sep 27, 2009
Does this work if coming from SuperCharged V4, or only if coming from stock 2.3.5?

Thanks

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
The easier way to do this, is just do the 4ever root that was done for the bionic.

Just add these lines to the bottom of the /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh files with the text editor in root explorer, or through adb.

Do that BEFORE the OTA update, and you will not have any issues with OTAs ever again and loosing root. but if you did not do the update maually, and you used the one-click you might need to add the following line as well....

Jim

Last edited:

BLWedge09

Jul 24, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I just used OTA Rootkeeper normally and it worked fine for me. Backed up root, temp un-rooted, downloaded and applied the update, then restored root from OTA Rootkeeper after the update finished. I have root back just fine...

Did this not work for others?

T

tmease1

I must of did something wrong because this did not work for me. I followed the steps to a T and it didn't take.

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium

Michael443

Feb 3, 2009
San Sebastian
The easier way to do this, is just do the 4ever root that was done for the bionic.

Just add these lines to the bottom of the /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh files with the text editor in root explorer, or through adb.

chmod 444 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Do that BEFORE the OTA update, and you will not have any issues with OTAs ever again and loosing root.

Jim

be carefull, the update brings a new security environment and new security patches that google just released. the update over writes parts of the system data. the safest way that i tested is this method. be careful with ever root

09CarreraS

Jul 17, 2010

Do that BEFORE the OTA update, and you will not have any issues with OTAs ever again and loosing root.

Jim

Jim,

I have a question about running a Deodexed rom. Will I have a problem upgrading or do I have to SBF back to stock? I also have the 1 percent mod that I love. How can I keep this. My understanding is this only works for deodexed roms.

Jim

x2 I used this method and it works fine. No messing around with OTA rootkepper, no need to uninstall superuser/etc.

be carefull, the update brings a new security environment and new security patches that google just released. the update over writes parts of the system data. the safest way that i tested is this method. be careful with ever root

ever root is arguably SAFER than your method. All it does is make the system change the permission on the files on every bootup. It's not rocket science.

farshad525hou

Dec 13, 2011
Massachusetts
Jim,

I have a question about running a Deodexed rom. Will I have a problem upgrading or do I have to SBF back to stock? I also have the 1 percent mod that I love. How can I keep this. My understanding is this only works for deodexed roms.
I'm not Jim but I do have the answers to your questions! ;)

You should flash the fkz's (sbf) files before you update, just a good idea to remove any oddities or potential problems. :) Also most modifications do relay on a deodexed ROM , so my guess is that it won't work with the new update yet. My personal recommendation would be to wait until lfaber06 incorperates this update into a nice little cwm flashable zip (around this weekend, or next), that will already contain root, as well as the 1 percent mod and the updated theming!

Reactions: 09CarreraS

bimmerd00d

Jan 24, 2008
well that's what i get for not reading here first. My coworker was demo-ing an app to our CEO and the update notification came in. A few minutes later he comes back and says he hit download then install when it came up. When i got it it was flashing in recovery already :(

toastthemost

Oct 3, 2011
x2 I used this method and it works fine. No messing around with OTA rootkepper, no need to uninstall superuser/etc.

ever root is arguably SAFER than your method. All it does is make the system change the permission on the files on every bootup. It's not rocket science.

Well, this definitely bricked my phone.

Reactions: extide

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys! the instructions are very easy if you do the steps correctly.
    This is my first post in the development section.

First, go to market and download OTA Rootkeeper

Second, open the app, Select Create SU Backup.

Third, Select Temp UnRoot(with backup)

Fourth, uninstall Superuser, if you have superuser elite uninstall it also! and uninstall OTA Rootkeeper(dont worry it will not delete UR Backup!)

Fifth, Download and install the OTA.

After it is done and reboot, do a power cycle.

and the last step, go to market, install superuser and ota rootkeeper.

Launch OTA Rootkeeper and Select RestoreRoot, accept the superuser permission, and reboot!

AND ur back with rooted 2.3.6!

Michael

Alternate method! This is Jim's method(Thanks jim for this other way)

To do the 4ever root hack do the following:

1) open root explorer or ew file manager etc...

go to /system/bin

find the file named mount_ext3.sh
    touch and hold the file name until the menu appears, go to open in text editor.

Add the following line to the VERY bottom of the file, after the fi

2) SAVE!!!! the file.
    3) Do the OTA update.
    4) You should still have root after the update, now.

Jim

Enjoy, Hope this helps!

Do that BEFORE the OTA update, and you will not have any issues with OTAs ever again and loosing root. but if you did not do the update maually, and you used the one-click you might need to add the following line as well....

Jim
    Jim,

I'm not Jim but I do have the answers to your questions! ;)

You should flash the fkz's (sbf) files before you update, just a good idea to remove any oddities or potential problems. :) Also most modifications do relay on a deodexed ROM , so my guess is that it won't work with the new update yet. My personal recommendation would be to wait until lfaber06 incorperates this update into a nice little cwm flashable zip (around this weekend, or next), that will already contain root, as well as the 1 percent mod and the updated theming!
    Thanks for the answer! Hey I'm from Ma as well.

Well, this definitely bricked my phone.