Dual-boot of Sammy and AOSP is working!

Search This thread

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
$25 - ceo.mtcl
PAID - $10 - rayandreas
PAID - $50 - mocsab
>=$10 - trism@jtype.net
PAID - $29 - btpd21
PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
PAID - $5 - muqali
PAID - $10 - rlee008
$5 - kingP1n
$5 - deviusdragger
$5 - lovekeiiy
PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
PAID - $5 ristiisa
PAID - $10 Grant Barker
** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p

Last edited:

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently $50

Thank you very much for your effort. It's highly appreciated :)
I don't know much about the note 2 yet.
I know, it's similar to the S3 devices. Are there also different versions, like at&t or international? If so, are there big differences?

Edit: lol. I just realised, that I am already writing in the at&t section. Ok, how about the differences? Are there kernels working for at&t as well as international?

Btw: if this thread really is going to get me the device, ill pay 100 € myself, as I was going to get a new device within the next few months (i preferred nexus 4).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
J

juwttt

I know, it's similar to the S3 devices. Are there also different versions, like at&t or international? If so, are there big differences?

Edit: lol. I just realised, that I am already writing in the at&t section. Ok, how about the differences? Are there kernels working for at&t as well as international?

Btw: if this thread really is going to get me the device, ill pay 100 € myself, as I was going to get a new device within the next few months (i preferred nexus 4).

Only the n7105 version since it matches the basebands of the us versions since they are all the same

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Captivate. He has promised to create one for the Note II if we can get him a device to work on. I will donate $50.00 to the cause. I'll update this thread with other donation promises. Who's willing to donate? :fingers-crossed: :D
The post is below. You can look at his stats and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II would be a great addition.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38122852&postcount=28

Have you had any more success in getting donations? I am willing to chip in - I wasn't aware of dual booting until I saw your thread - read a little and think it would be really cool - how much more is needed?

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Have you had any more success in getting donations? I am willing to chip in - I wasn't aware of dual booting until I saw your thread - read a little and think it would be really cool - how much more is needed?

I'm not certain how much more is necessary. DerTeufel1980 said he would kick in 100 euros (around $136) if we can get it. I would assume he would get the N7105 (international) with LTE which a lot of our custom ROMs are based on. I have also posted a thread in the general forum for the N7100/7105 after this thead since that is probably more appropriate since he lives in Germany.
How much can I put you down for? I also have received some other donations. I will put names and amounts in the first post.

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$281.00

Thank you all who already donated. Looking forward to build a nice kernel for this device :)

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York

Where are we supposed to send donations to? I am interested in donating especially since Ubuntu mobile is going to be released tomorrow and I suspect that it will be made available for our device shortly after. It would be amazing to have a dual booting kernel to run Ubuntu and android side by side on our beast of a phone.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

DerTeufel1980

Jul 31, 2011

Where are we supposed to send donations to? I am interested in donating especially since Ubuntu mobile is going to be released tomorrow and I suspect that it will be made available for our device shortly after. It would be amazing to have a dual booting kernel to run Ubuntu and android side by side on our beast of a phone.

I can't promise, booting Ubuntu and android is going to be working. But of course I also would be interested in this combo and try my best to achieve it.

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York

I would be willing to donate at least 25 to the cause

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$306.00

Cool. Also bump for great justice. Let's keep this thread on top so that we get more donations to make this kernel a reality. I'm so excited by the prospect

Edit: and make it $29 instead of 25 to make it a nicer number

Last edited:

inningsdefeat500

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
When it's dual boot, does it mean we can boot 2 ROMS?

I am asking this coz, its been so long since the Note 2 released and we are still struggling with a solution to ALLSHARE DONGLE working with a CUSTOM ROM and this is specific to AT&T ( or rogers for that matter )

So, if there is a way to boot in Stock Rom for ALLSHARE and then boot in Custom Rom for other goodies, then this is awesome

Can someone clarify, i would be happy to donate

btpd21

May 23, 2011
New York
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$306.00

When it's dual boot, does it mean we can boot 2 ROMS?

I am asking this coz, its been so long since the Note 2 released and we are still struggling with a solution to ALLSHARE DONGLE working with a CUSTOM ROM and this is specific to AT&T ( or rogers for that matter )

So, if there is a way to boot in Stock Rom for ALLSHARE and then boot in Custom Rom for other goodies, then this is awesome

Can someone clarify, i would be happy to donate

I don't know the exact ROMs that you can run with the dual boot kernel, but it does mean that you can run two separate ones on the same phone just by booting into one or the other. Look at the op and read the developers thread for the dual boot kernel that he made for another phone and it will help clarify the project

Reactions: RichMD

RichMD

Jan 8, 2011
CT
Re: Dual-boot donation thread - Currently >$310.00

Up to 310 now.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI - DerTeufel1980 had a solid kernel working fairly quickly and has since worked on the recovery mods to allow installing two ROMs, etc. He has been working through a few items such as USB only working for charging, etc. He is making progress though. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    DerTeufel1980 has a dual-boot kernel working for the Samsung Galaxy line (Captivate, etc). With our help, he has been able to purchase a Note II to work on and I have been updating this thread with donation promises.
    The post is below. You can look at his stats (a recognized developer with close to 13,000 thanks) and know that he can be trusted. Just to have him working on the Note II will be a great addition. I started the thread on the AT&T forum and then added it in the N7100/N7105 forum when I realized he lives in Germany. He and I have committed a fair amount of $ to make this happen so if you feel inclined to help out then it would be appreciated.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38121246&postcount=27

$200 loan for now. - RichMD
    $25 - ceo.mtcl
    PAID - $10 - rayandreas
    PAID - $50 - mocsab
    >=$10 - trism@jtype.net
    PAID - $29 - btpd21
    PAID - $25 - Jamice4u
    PAID - $10 - Shinkinrui
    PAID - $5 - muqali
    PAID - $10 - rlee008
    $5 - kingP1n
    $5 - deviusdragger
    $5 - lovekeiiy
    PAID - $15 CDKJudoka
    PAID - $5 ristiisa
    PAID - $10 Grant Barker
    ** After the kernel is working - $100 - PhxDroid86
    ** After the kernel is working - $20 - Markor13
    ** After the kernel is working - $15 - trevor7428
    ** After the kernel is working - $30 - kashortiexda

Update 5/25 - DerTeufel1980 has spent a while perfecting a universal kernel that works on AOSP and Sammy ROMs. The thread is here > http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2239453
    He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :p
    OP Updated

He had to work out some bugs that prevented troubleshooting the dual-boot problem. However, he recently returned to the dual-boot problem and has solved it. He has been able to dual-boot with AOSP as primary, Sammy as secondary and vice-versa. He is still fixing some recovery issues, etc but is hopeful that the release will be available tomorrow. This turned out to be much more challenging than other phones but that is probably why nobody else has accomplished it until he had a device to work on... :D
    Re: Device obtained on 3/7 - Dual-boot kernel work has begun

I'd be glad to help ;)

Please try this kernel. It's not dualboot yet, but it works on aosp as well as sammy roms.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0x183pzim3w9tl4

Please use trickster mod for setting up all the options.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7105 mit Tapatalk 2