[Q] Help! VZW S4 lost all recovery

Search This thread
J

Jimmy Rudedog

I have a verizon galaxy s4 (SCH-I545). I flashed the NC5 onto the phone after rooting it. I tried to install Philztouch onto it, but something froze up/crashed during the process. I now do not have ANY type of recovery, and the phone goes directly into download mode when trying to boot recovery. :crying:
I deleted and/or frozen anything knox from the phone... it still operates even w/o knox or a recovery in it!! :cool:

My situation is that I have used odin to try flashing twrp and other recoveries to the phone. odin says it was successful, but it still has no recovery or doesn't boot into recovery, and I want to install some custom rom's onto it. there is no safestrap and I don't want it.

So, how to put the stock or any other recovery on this phone so I can add new roms??? :confused:

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014
I have a verizon galaxy s4 (SCH-I545). I flashed the NC5 onto the phone after rooting it. I tried to install Philztouch onto it, but something froze up/crashed during the process. I now do not have ANY type of recovery, and the phone goes directly into download mode when trying to boot recovery. :crying:
I deleted and/or frozen anything knox from the phone... it still operates even w/o knox or a recovery in it!! :cool:

My situation is that I have used odin to try flashing twrp and other recoveries to the phone. odin says it was successful, but it still has no recovery or doesn't boot into recovery, and I want to install some custom rom's onto it. there is no safestrap and I don't want it.

So, how to put the stock or any other recovery on this phone so I can add new roms??? :confused:

If you are on NC5 then Safestrap is your only option.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4 BlackBox using XDA Free Mobile App

J

Jimmy Rudedog

ok, don't want Safestrap

If you are on NC5 then Safestrap is your only option.

ok. my next addition/question is: will Surge's full wipe and/or pit file bring back the stock recovery so I can start over? this phone is cracked to now run on MetroPCS/T-mobile sytem and I don't want to go back to vzw.

So, will the pit file bring back my recovery... it does not have ANY recovery at all on the phone. here's the pit file I'm referring to: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199111

thanks.

J

Jimmy Rudedog

edit

Even if I wanted to put safestrap on this phone, there is not any type of recovery in it to use to install safestrap or any other rom or recovery on it.
I have tried odin and it says it worked but will not boot into recovery, it goes directly to download mode. the phone runs, boots and has wifi, data, etc.

I want to know before I go into this if the pit file will work and not mess up things or should I try the entire process? The phone is working but NO RECOVERY IS INSTALLED ON IT AT ALL. (needed to emphasize this fact).

thankz again

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014
Even if I wanted to put safestrap on this phone, there is not any type of recovery in it to use to install safestrap or any other rom or recovery on it.
I have tried odin and it says it worked but will not boot into recovery, it goes directly to download mode. the phone runs, boots and has wifi, data, etc.

I want to know before I go into this if the pit file will work and not mess up things or should I try the entire process? The phone is working but NO RECOVERY IS INSTALLED ON IT AT ALL. (needed to emphasize this fact).

thankz again

If all you are looking to do is install safestrap then you can just towelroot/superSU/BusyBox/safestrap. If you mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone, I'm not sure how to get that back on if its missing.

sponix2ipfw

Jul 21, 2012
Seems to me you had MDK boot loader and custom recovery prior. And that you have blindly flashed the full NC5 build updating everything including your boot loader to a nice new shiny LOCKED one. If the boot loader is NC5 you get to join the Safe Strap club.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

J

Jimmy Rudedog

Yes, I mean recovery mode

If all you are looking to do is install safestrap then you can just towelroot/superSU/BusyBox/safestrap. If you mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone, I'm not sure how to get that back on if its missing.

Yes, I mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone.

The phone is rooted, and I need to somehow replace or install a recovery so I can put a rom into it. and I don't have to use safestrap if i can put twrp or something else into it.

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014
Seems to me you had MDK boot loader and custom recovery prior. And that you have blindly flashed the full NC5 build updating everything including your boot loader to a nice new shiny LOCKED one. If the boot loader is NC5 you get to join the Safe Strap club.

Terrible. Funny, but terrible. Lol @Jimmy Rudedog

J

Jimmy Rudedog

The phone is rooted... and I mean recovery mode, as in holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone.
I was on 4.3 then got the OTA update and tried to flash it back. it crashed the phone. Ii was stuck in download mode, and i flashed via Odin the NC5 full wipe on this forum then later rooted the phone. I tried to install Philz touch, but it crashed or froze up during the process... and viola!! NO RECOVERY WHATSOEVER IS ON THIS PHONE.
When I try holding down the power, home, and volume up buttons when booting up the phone, it goes straight to download mode no matter what button combination i use.
I don't care about stock or any warranty... that's over and I had this phone converted from Vzw to MetroPCS already.
I tried safestrap before and I don't like it. I need to somehow replace or install a recovery so I can put a rom into it. and I don't have to use safestrap if i can put twrp or something else into it. So, it is open for custom roms and i'm looking at SlimKat to install on this phone. Now, if somebody has a tar file I can flash with Odin... then it's all good.

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014
so, you got a help or fix? or you just wanna be a clown?

If you're on NC5, Safestrap is your only option homie.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

so, you got a help or fix? or you just wanna be a clown?

If there was a way to go back from NC5, there would be a lot of happy people around here, but there isn't. Having recovery mode makes no difference because your on NC5 now. You can't flash TWRP, you can't flash CWM, Safestrap is it.

king_david43

Jun 6, 2013
West Palm Beach
Google Pixel 6
Download the stock recovery and flash it using flashify.
I did the same thing you did with a S5 because I didn't know about the boy loader issues and thought I had bricked it because it would only boy into download mode. But after turning it off for a few seconds I saw that it was able to bout into the stock rom. Luckily I made a backup of the stock recovery with flashify and flashed it back and it was fine.

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014
J

Jimmy Rudedog

I have no idea. I have never lost the android recovery mode you get into by holding home, power, and volume up to boot the phone. Did you try asking on that thread?

yes I did post this on Surge's thread and have not gotten a reply so far

J

Jimmy Rudedog

Download the stock recovery and flash it using flashify.
I did the same thing you did with a S5 because I didn't know about the boy loader issues and thought I had bricked it because it would only boy into download mode. But after turning it off for a few seconds I saw that it was able to bout into the stock rom. Luckily I made a backup of the stock recovery with flashify and flashed it back and it was fine.
So, are you saying to use Surge's full wipe and pit files and I can get back my stock recovery? or is there a link to what you are talking about? hook me up with that link.
I do not have any backups and I an get flashify no prob. but I am not sure it will work as you indicated.

J

Jimmy Rudedog

how about Heimdall? will it work and do the things Odin isn't doing? I haven't used the program but have a copy of the files on my PC. I need a little guidance before I kill this phone forever.

J

Jimmy Rudedog

l. tried flashify and rom installer... flashify says it found and backed up my stock recovery, but when I try to flash it back it says success and reboot. then it still goes into download mode and the little red letters say unable to do normal boot.
I can get back to normal boot and the phone runs. I tried the buttons to get into recovery mode, and it still goes to download mode. I also tried to flash twrp with rom installer and it also says successful but the same results>>> download mode only. WTF!!?
I seem to need a tar file for all of this to work and most of the roms are zip files except Surge's files. anybody have a link to tar files with the recoveries in it?

rrrrrrredbelly

Aug 16, 2010
WA
Google Pixel 6
As has already been stated in this thread , if you're on the nc5 bootloader, you can't flash twrp or cwm or any other custom recovery. Even if you get the stock recovery back, it won't matter. SS is you're only option. There are a million posts on this issue. There are a number of custom roms that you can run, most are TW based though.

Reactions: liljoe727

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As has already been stated in this thread , if you're on the nc5 bootloader, you can't flash twrp or cwm or any other custom recovery. Even if you get the stock recovery back, it won't matter. SS is you're only option. There are a million posts on this issue. There are a number of custom roms that you can run, most are TW based though.