[Q] ADB "Permission Denied"

Search This thread

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
hey guys need help so my Mytouch 4G updated and perm rooted, and i keeep gettin gthe permission denied everytime i try and execute a command thru adb thru my pc or on the Terminal Emulator. Did something not go thru on root or am i missing something simple? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
hey guys need help so my Mytouch 4G updated and perm rooted, and i keeep gettin gthe permission denied everytime i try and execute a command thru adb thru my pc or on the Terminal Emulator. Did something not go thru on root or am i missing something simple? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You may have to run visionary and reboot a few more times to make root privileges stick.

My MyGlacier 4G MINE!!!

johnowa636

Jul 27, 2008
Try this:
: adb shell (this should give $)
:$ su (next line type su, this should give you prompt on Super user to allow permission)
:# ( once you get this your good)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

eleeo037037

Oct 11, 2009
Houston
Try to install visionary and then re install open click temp root then permoot super user should ask to approve click yes. After that restart

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
ok everytime i try adb shell in terminal emulator it says the permission denied, im gonna try the first reply again and then see....any other ideas?

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
also guys, when i try and run visionary again it says your device is already rooted, along with when i type su in TE, it gives # with superuser permissions quote showing on bottom of screen, but i was trying to run adb commands from pc or from te and they still show permission denied. SetCPU works.

Last edited:

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
also guys, when i try and run visionary again it says your device is already rooted, along with when i type su in TE, it gives # with superuser permissions quote showing on bottom of screen, but i was trying to run adb commands from pc or from te and they still show permission denied. SetCPU works.

Ok, go into adb shell and type su + enter. Watch your phone when you do this. Superuser should ask if you want to allow "unknown" root privileges. "unknown" is adb. Click allow and your problems should go away. :D

My MyGlacier 4G MINE!!!

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
So typing su works and the message terminal emulator is granted permissions, but then any other commands dont work

Sent via MyTouch 4G

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
So typing su works and the message terminal emulator is granted permissions, but then any other commands dont work

Sent via MyTouch 4G

I ran into this same issue and it drove me crazy. I would not get prompted by the phone to allow su permissions when going through ADB- kept getting "permission denied"

I did finally get SU permissions through ADB, but I dont recall exactly what I did to get prompted to allow access.

I will try to retrace what I did... believe I had ADB shell running (without su permissions "$"), but I also had terminal emulator running on my phone. I entered the su command on my phone, then I did the same from ADB shell.

Finally the phone prompted me to allow access - accepted - and no problems from that point.

Basically, I just had to keep f'n with it.

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
Yeah thats my problem exactly. Yeah I appreciate any assistance you can provide. I mean my pc reads my device when I adb devices command, but it wont allow nothing past that. Please keep me informed on anything I can try, also im not thag most fluent with using sdk/adb stuff so any additional info with using that is much appreciated thanks again fellow enthusiasts!

Sent via MyTouch 4G

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
Have you tried to bacup su, then uninstall su. Reinstall su, Then try it again. MIGHT work

mrpanic7

Apr 18, 2010
yeah i re-installed su and didnt help, @dbiggs-what can i do thru adb to initiate the su permissions to the device like you did?

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
I wish I could help more specifically, but I dont remember exactly what I did that allowed me access- just kept trying

Maybe try this...(dont be offended if any of these steps are ones that you already know or have tried, I am just trying to be as thorough as I can from memory)

Open up super user, then go back to the terminal emulator and enter the "su" command to gain superuser permissions.

Plug the phone into the computer, select charge only, enter ADB through tools (probably "C:\Android\tools" if your Android folder is in the root of your harddrive).

from the prompt C:\Android\Tools, enter:
adb shell

then you will get the "$" that you mentioned.

enter the "su" command, and hopefully you will get prompted to allow superuser permissions for ADB.

I am pretty sure these are the steps that I took, just had to keep trying.

Lemme know how it works out.

QUEDRO

Dec 17, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I see some people here asking about getting su privileges in adb, however I do have SU and I can run su in adb shell. My problem is that I am trying to push some files and use Android Commander. I can't run "adb remount" (remount failed: Operation not permitted), I can't copy files in Android Commander (it's says that I do not have ROOT)

How can I get Read-Write in ADB ??

Edit: Oh, now I got it, I don't have root in ADB, when i type "adb root" it says "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

Last edited:

dbiggss

Apr 15, 2007
I have managed to be able to get around this issue by going into recovery mode on my phone.

If the end result that you are looking for is to adb push files, then the easier way to do this is to flash clockwork recovery to your phone, then start your phone into recovery mode, mount system and you should be able to push files no problem.

Lemke know if this helps.

gbzbar

Jun 18, 2010

I'm pretty sure your issue has nothing to do with SU access. Most likely, your phone is simply mounting as r/o (read only) when it boots up, so ADB is unable to change anything to the system folder. The easiest way to mount as r/w (Read/Write) is to go into Root Explorer and click the r/w button in the top right corner, and then go to ADB and see if it will allow you to do the same commands that it previously denied.
I have the same issue with my phone mounting as r/o by default, but I haven't been able to figure out how to automount as r/w on the MT4G. If anyone knows how, please share.

__McB__

Sep 5, 2009
I had this same issue, on several android phones including MT4G. Here is how I fixed it.

1. Connect phone via usb (I was in "charge only" mode, not disk drive mode)
2. Open command prompt and navigate to the android tools folder
3. type "adb shell"
4. MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE SCREEN IS ON AND UNLOCKED
- The above step is very important otherwise you will not get the SU prompt
5. At the "$" prompt type "su"
6. Your phone should now display the SU screen asking you to allow the connection root access.
7. Once you allow it, you are golden.

I did this on a windows pc. Hope it helps.