[Q] TF101 or other recommendations?

Search This thread

BostonDan2

Jan 13, 2012
Boston, MA
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the TF101 after returning the TF201 due to bad wifi perforamnce, browser lockups, and how Asus handled the GPS not working. For those that don't know, after they released the product advertised with GPS functionality, Asus pulled GPS from the specification because it didn't work without any notice. I saw alot of posts that stated Asus told users to return the product if they didn't like this resolution. I could never find something directly from Asus stating this. The TF201 also suffers from bad and inconsistent wifi. Many believe this is due to the 'pogo' connectors, basically if you bump the device or pinch the case, it may improve or worsten wifi performance. Anyways, enough ranting about what's wrong with the TF201. I plan on using the tablet primarily for web browsing, e-mail, calendar, to-do lists, viewing MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF files, etc... I won't be doing any gaming.

At this point in time, would you recommend purchasing the TF101 or would you recommend something else?
Would you recommend waiting for the IPAD 3 or some other soon to be released device?

Unless something changes soon with TF201 quality and reliability, I'm not willing to repurchase the TF201 again.

Appreciate your feedback.

BostonDan

Jonah!

Dec 14, 2010
I plan on using the tablet primarily for web browsing, e-mail, calendar, to-do lists, viewing MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF files, etc... I won't be doing any gaming.

I use my TF101 for same things and i can tell you that the Browser sometimes is laggy, but depends on the rom you're using, and i think ICS will improve it much.

Other things are perfect:
E-mail client is fast and well rearranged;
Calendar has a very clear interface;
There are tons of apps for pdf reading (i like ezpdf, wich allows to edit them);
Same for Word/Excel/PPT but Polaris office (Preinstalled on TF101) is one of the best and works very well;
For Notes/To-Do Lists there are a lot of apps in the market, the best i think is Beautiful Notes wich runs pretty good.

;)

El Niche

Oct 6, 2011
Miami, FL
i agree that it would best that you go personally to a best buy to check them out. The transformer has been working perfect for me for the same uses you said. However i find the galaxy tab really nice too. I was also impressed with the sony s tablet. Check them out. Imho Cant go wrong with asus, sony or galaxy.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Wait for tf700t none of the primes problems with a better screen aswell

Sent from my tf running krakd warped an twisted 1544mhz Blades kernel

Vyrlokar

Apr 9, 2011
The number one reason for getting a Transformer is the dock. If you want the dock (and I wanted it badly) then it's TF101 or TF201 ATM. Since you (understandably) did not like what Asus did with the TF201, that leaves the TF101 for you.

Now, the TF101 has way more going for it than just the dock. The IPS screen is beautiful (and the light bleed issue ought to be stamped out by now. In mine, I barely get light bleed, and it's a B60 model, but I guess I was lucky.). The price is acceptable, up to now, Asus has delivered when it comes to updates (let's see if they keep the trend with the ICS update. I understand that they had issues, and don't want to release a half assed update, so let's wait patiently).

Currently selling alternatives (prizing information based on local prices here in Spain, YMMV):
  • The Acer Iconia A500: similar specs, worse screen (but no light bleed issue that I know of), but full size USB without the need of the dock or the adapter. Similar price to the TF101.
  • Sony Tablet S: Slightly smaller screen, different design (not my cup of tea, but it's the selling point for some people), universal IR remote capabilities, full size USB, Full size SD instead of micro SD. Slightly more expensive than the TF101

I would not go for the Galaxy Tab, as the lack of expandable memory would force you to go for the (even) more expensive version. Also, it's way more expensive, while offering the same specs. Comes with Touchwiz, and IIRC, requires you to use Kies to perform updates. Also, Samsung has not been as speedy as Asus when it comes to updates. I would not go for the Xoom either, even if it already has ICS. Didn't like the design, too bulky. Also, it's more expensive than the TF101, though it comes with greater internal storage.

BostonDan2

Jan 13, 2012
Boston, MA
Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone,

I'm down to 4 choices, Asus TF101, Acer Iconia A500, IPAD 2, or waiting for the IPAD 3.

My thoughts are:
Asus TF700: After the TF201 experience, there is no way I'll consider buying an Asus tablet which hasn't been proven in the marketplace.

Asus TF101: Appears stable and it's not apple, but the more I think about the TF201 experience, I'd blame myself for trusting Asus if I end up having problems and again receive no response from Asus support.

Acer Iconia A500: Although not the latest, appears stable and it's not Apple. I have no idea what kind of support Acer provides.

IPAD-2: I can't think of a single friend or relative that regretted getting the IPAD-2. Stable and app support is very large.

IPAD-3: Having to wait an unknown timeframe until this is announced and released is a big negative. Unknown stability or problems, but Apple has the appearance of releasing more stable products than anyone out in the industry.

IPAD2 & IPAD3: It's Apple. There is just something inside of me that doesn't like Apple, with no justification or reason. From a support perspective, the ability to visit an Apple retail store for support is appealing, however I have no idea what level of technical knowledge exists at the retail stores.

ARGH!!!!!!!
Thanks Again Everyone!
Dan

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the TF101 after returning the TF201 due to bad wifi perforamnce, browser lockups, and how Asus handled the GPS not working. For those that don't know, after they released the product advertised with GPS functionality, Asus pulled GPS from the specification because it didn't work without any notice. I saw alot of posts that stated Asus told users to return the product if they didn't like this resolution. I could never find something directly from Asus stating this. The TF201 also suffers from bad and inconsistent wifi. Many believe this is due to the 'pogo' connectors, basically if you bump the device or pinch the case, it may improve or worsten wifi performance. Anyways, enough ranting about what's wrong with the TF201. I plan on using the tablet primarily for web browsing, e-mail, calendar, to-do lists, viewing MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF files, etc... I won't be doing any gaming.

At this point in time, would you recommend purchasing the TF101 or would you recommend something else?
Would you recommend waiting for the IPAD 3 or some other soon to be released device?

Unless something changes soon with TF201 quality and reliability, I'm not willing to repurchase the TF201 again.

Appreciate your feedback.

BostonDan

You will be happier with a netbook or ultrabook imho. Tablet suggestions I would have are the Acer Iconia Tab W500 (very vaguely a win7 transformer and not an A500) or a model of Eee Slate with 4GB RAM installed (comes with bluetooth keyboard and a pen).

For Android tablets, TF101 or the Galaxy Tab 8.9.

If you don't know, just buy iPad and see whether or not it makes you puke.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk