ChevronWP7 shuts down, handsets to be re-locked in 120 days

Search This thread

dmw_4814

Nov 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Cool Story Bro.
No one give a ****.
You go and buy yourself an Android if you want customization. I would rather thank the Chevron Team for their unlock tool and their hard work to give us a free one year of premium membership with only $9 instead of $99 and it is a full unlock from Microsoft.
You bought a Windows Phone and now you are crying because it can't be customized easily, so you are a bad buyer who don't even know which is a good buy or bad buy for yourself. Congratulation.

Hey, listen - do YOU want to pay my $99 fee for a year's App-Hub membership, something I was NOT told I needed to do when I paid for my ChevronWP7 unlockl?!! I am moving next weekend from Cleveland, OH to Phoenix, AZ; it's going to cost me $1,100 to rent a truck & trailer to tow my car, PLUS another $700 - $800 in fuel for the truck, THEN I'll be out of work for God-knows-how-long, and I have LESS than 60 days now to do this?!!

I knew full well what I could do/could not do with my Windows Phone 7 handset when I bought it - the point is we were given more capabilities as far as customization goes (I know that wasn't the intent of the ChevronWP7 unlock) & were never told that unlock was temporary or that we would have to fork over some more money, even if it is temporary, in order to keep or unlock. This is horrible PR for Microsoft & Windows Phone 7.

I didn't personally attack YOU or criticize anything you want/don't want to do; I don't need you to criticize me or anything I say.

Keep your mouth shut.

Dennis

Reactions: Dr.8820

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
Hey, listen - do YOU want to pay my $99 fee for a year's App-Hub membership, something I was NOT told I needed to do when I paid for my ChevronWP7 unlockl?!! I am moving next weekend from Cleveland, OH to Phoenix, AZ; it's going to cost me $1,100 to rent a truck & trailer to tow my car, PLUS another $700 - $800 in fuel for the truck, THEN I'll be out of work for God-knows-how-long, and I have LESS than 60 days now to do this?!!

I knew full well what I could do/could not do with my Windows Phone 7 handset when I bought it - the point is we were given more capabilities as far as customization goes (I know that wasn't the intent of the ChevronWP7 unlock) & were never told that unlock was temporary or that we would have to fork over some more money, even if it is temporary, in order to keep or unlock. This is horrible PR for Microsoft & Windows Phone 7.

I didn't personally attack YOU or criticize anything you want/don't want to do; I don't need you to criticize me or anything I say.

Keep your mouth shut.

Dennis

Dennis,

Since you mentioned you will be short of cash etc, I think the best option which you should definitely get advantage of is a full refund from ChevronWP7. They are offering $9 back to anyone who emails them. Drop them an email, the token will be forfeited but then you get the $9 so you lose no money at all. It's like you got free customization for all these months. No point investing $99 at this stage when you have other priorities already. I am sure customization cannot be that important to any smartphone user that they chose it in hard times. Oh and btw, I think ChevronWP7 isn't Microsoft. Microsoft just let them use the ability to hack into it's OS which it Microsoft wanted could have been strangled like all our other efforts to unlock into the OS. At the end of the day, this isn't an open sourced OS where any Tom, **** or Chevron could hack into without causing licensing fuss etc at some point or the other. The only OS at the moment where you could enjoy the openess will be Android and perhaps the choice for Samsung Galaxy is better there. But do get those $9 off ChevronWP7 team first and then if possible sell this phone off as soon as you can. Reason being - if the rumours stand true and if the current handsets don't get WP8, the re-sell value would be nothing more than a candy bar!

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
You guys paid $9 for the length of $100 subscription, I don't get it, nobody answered me. Was there ant explicit instruction from the Chevron team that insinuated in any way that these tokens were life long subscriptions? They're also willing to refund you the $9... What is the point of these rants? If you feel cheated, they're refunding the money, which means you paid $0 for the same service most of us pay $100 for...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
Yes, I've said it for a year now, people with WP7 on their HD2 are stealing as WP isn't free. Its really crazy how a lot of you feel you're entitled to free ****.

Name calling the "divas" doesn't change the fact that ChevronTexaco charged people $9 for a sideloading unlocker ....some of you self-righteousness people pass judgment on those sideloading Nokia apps on an HTC phone is a thief but never mentioned the folks that took $9 from 10,000 people whom, if they choose, can wait 2 months for a refund.....some of you gladly posting you paid $99 or loaned it, can't wait to try YOUR app....what's next, are you self righteous people going to the Leo forum and calling the dual booters thieves?

Sent from The ACSyndicate Tower using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

dmw_4814

Nov 8, 2010
Cleveland, OH
You guys paid $9 for the length of $100 subscription, I don't get it, nobody answered me. Was there ant explicit instruction from the Chevron team that insinuated in any way that these tokens were life long subscriptions? They're also willing to refund you the $9... What is the point of these rants? If you feel cheated, they're refunding the money, which means you paid $0 for the same service most of us pay $100 for...

Paying $9 or paying $99 is not the point for me. My problem is that I don't feel we should have to pay ANYTHING to do something on our Windows phone (change tile/theme colors, change text alerts, etc) that you can do on ANY other mobile phone operating system for free! I will, if I can come up with it, gladly pay the $99 for the complimentary 1-year App-Hub membership, especially since MS will refund my money to me (they should just give ALL persons that paid for a ChevronWP7 unlock an App-Hub membership WITHOUT requiring any payment at all from us, but don't get me started!), just so I can continue to personalize my phone the way I want to. Most, not all, MOST people like to personalize their phones. I am not unique in this aspect. Having just 10 colors to pick from for tile colors in not enough, at least for me. We should also be able to choose a wallpaper to use as our background behind the tiles, not just white or black.

Despite these issues, I really DO love WP7/7.5, and will most likely continue to keep/use mine, and I'll probably buy a new one when Apollo/WP 8 comes out!

Dennis

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Yes, I've said it for a year now, people with WP7 on their HD2 are stealing as WP isn't free. Its really crazy how a lot of you feel you're entitled to free ****.

I paid $9 to sideload, which is exactly what the thing does....these guys and their new boss are re-locking already paid for phones....where is the free **** we're asking for? I could really point out how stupid you look for preaching about stolen goods, you put Android on a Windows Mobile device, then come in here with a holier-than-thou rant about people who want Nokia apps should buy Nokia, HTC apps for HTC phones, etc. I'll answer your question with a question: where does it say this wasn't permanent? I can't believe you're making excuses for these guys or this nonsense they're pulling....unless you're part of them. Does Microsoft really think strong-arming 10,000 people will make them developers?

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
But... This isn't your operating system. Microsoft designed it this way, therefore, they say what you should be able to do. What the people here on XDA think really doesn't matter tbh. They don't want users with this access and its their choice. Apple does just fine with this model.

Paying $9 or paying $99 is not the point for me. My problem is that I don't feel we should have to pay ANYTHING to do something on our Windows phone (change tile/theme colors, change text alerts, etc) that you can do on ANY other mobile phone operating system for free! I will, if I can come up with it, gladly pay the $99 for the complimentary 1-year App-Hub membership, especially since MS will refund my money to me (they should just give ALL persons that paid for a ChevronWP7 unlock an App-Hub membership WITHOUT requiring any payment at all from us, but don't get me started!), just so I can continue to personalize my phone the way I want to. Most, not all, MOST people like to personalize their phones. I am not unique in this aspect. Having just 10 colors to pick from for tile colors in not enough, at least for me. We should also be able to choose a wallpaper to use as our background behind the tiles, not just white or black.

Despite these issues, I really DO love WP7/7.5, and will most likely continue to keep/use mine, and I'll probably buy a new one when Apollo/WP 8 comes out!

Dennis

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
I paid $9 to sideload, which is exactly what the thing does....these guys and their new boss are re-locking already paid for phones....where is the free **** we're asking for? I could really point out how stupid you look for preaching about stolen goods, you put Android on a Windows Mobile device, then come in here with a holier-than-thou rant about people who want Nokia apps should buy Nokia, HTC apps for HTC phones, etc. I'll answer your question with a question: where does it say this wasn't permanent? I can't believe you're making excuses for these guys or this nonsense they're pulling....unless you're part of them. Does Microsoft really think strong-arming 10,000 people will make them developers?

Android is open source, sorry you fail to understand the difference between the two.

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Answer my question about this unlocker NOT being permanent...? Let's get that one out the way first, because I KNOW you got unlimited unlocks as long as you had the same phone....(we'll deal with your flip-flop about stealing in a later post :))

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
Answer my question about this unlocker NOT being permanent...? Let's get that one out the way first, because I KNOW you got unlimited unlocks as long as you had the same phone....(we'll deal with your flip-flop about stealing in a later post :))

Nobody has answered mine. Did any single word that the Chevron team said insinuate in any way that these unlocks would be permanent? As far as I remember, I was told they "would give you the same experience as a developer unlock for $9" - which means they would not be permanent unlocks. You guys are creating a storm for something that was never promised. It's the same **** you guys pull when an update isn't released on a date that the internet made up and Microsoft never once said. "OMGZ WINDOZE FONE IZ A FAIL" It gets so damn tiring, you guys make these forums unbearable.

On top of all of this, they're offering to give you your money back, so in essence, you just got a free service. What the hell is the big deal? That you may have to pay the same price as everybody else now? Wait, it isn't even that, because Microsoft just offered you guys an additional free year. So, you paid $9 for something we all have to pay $200 for... And you're complaining... Really?

And I would tell you how dumb you are for calling me a "flip flopper" if it weren't for the double standard mods on this forum. But you're comparing an open sourced operating system in Android to a licensed OS in Windows Phone. One is given away for free and encouraged to be altered, while the other is licensed specifically to different OEMs with different rules to be bundled with specific products. Are you that dense that you can't understand that? On top of that, for the longest, HD2 owners were spoofing the system and illegally getting live enabled IDs for the market.

And on top of ALLLLLLL of that, you're calling out my actions from two years ago for something you're complaining about now.

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
My PM box is always open if you've got something "extra" to say, as far as this topic goes, I'll say this since you don't comprehend good...YOU GOT UNLIMITED UNLOCKS for the same phone, it says so where you get your token, I know because I supported these guys by buying one. If you like that they can relock your phone, good for you....don't like people *****ing about it? ...then DON'T READ OR REPLY...problem solved.

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Homebrew Apps

Look, this is simple. You buy something, no one tells you there are limitations (length of use), then the use has no limitations.

You want to relock the phone, have at it. But you stop me from using homebrew apps, most of which I supported, and we have a problem. Take back your product, but don't even think about stopping me from using products I installed on my device.

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
And on top of ALLLLLLL of that, you're calling out my actions from two years ago for something you're complaining about now.
...I was driving and didn't read all of the initial post .....are you serious? ....you can't be called out for flip-flopping about stealing because you stole 2 years ago lol....? Android is open source, Windows Mobile was not...:D.

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
My PM box is always open if you've got something "extra" to say, as far as this topic goes, I'll say this since you don't comprehend good...YOU GOT UNLIMITED UNLOCKS for the same phone, it says so where you get your token, I know because I supported these guys by buying one. If you like that they can relock your phone, good for you....don't like people *****ing about it? ...then DON'T READ OR REPLY...problem solved.

...I was driving and didn't read all of the initial post .....are you serious? ....you can't be called out for flip-flopping about stealing because you stole 2 years ago lol....? Android is open source, Windows Mobile was not...:D.

Unlimited unlocks does not mean unlimited length of time. But you continue to ignore the fact that they're a) refunding your precious $9 if you don't like their decision with their product, or b) giving you an additional free year.

And Android was open source, and THAT is the OS that I added, I paid for my Windows Mobile license when I purchased my phone, so I fail to see any comparisons...

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
....and HTC, Nokia, Samsung, and others are all WP7 partners with cross platform apps, and everyone here bought a sideloading app that was reversed by the new owners....so what was your point on stealing again...? I won't engage with you anymore, it's pointless and off topic....but you're digging your ignorance hole deeper...stealing is ok for you because you put Android on a Windows device, but didn't pay Google or buy an Android phone because Microsoft said you owned the HD2 because you bought it, therefore a license....but you blast those sideloading...think about that....

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
....and HTC, Nokia, Samsung, and others are all WP7 partners with cross platform apps, and everyone here bought a sideloading app that was reversed by the new owners....so what was your point on stealing again...? I won't engage with you anymore, it's pointless and off topic....but you're digging your ignorance hole deeper...stealing is ok for you because you put Android on a Windows device, but didn't pay Google or buy an Android phone because Microsoft said you owned the HD2 because you bought it, therefore a license....but you blast those sideloading...think about that....

So by your logic, I can buy a DVD and post it for the world to download and use since I paid for it, huh. You don't need to PAY Google for Android, it's FREE - why can't you understand that? You pay OEMs for their customizations, hardware, and product. Same with Windows Phone, with the exception that you pay for the operating system license as well - but you pay for device specific apps. There is a reason that you cannot download LG apps on a Nokia device. You're trying to justify your criminal thought process by attacking my legal one? If you knew anything, and it has become increasingly obvious that you don't, XDA removed -ALL- Android HD2 ROMs which had any software which was not free and infringed on any copyright. It also posted a notice that all work had to be available to be distributed per the Google open sourced policy. But yeah, I stole something that is free... Cool.

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
Android is open source, sorry you fail to understand the difference between the two.

But you still went and circumvented the bootloader of your device to put an open sourced project on your phone. Well nice and dandy but the bootloader part - kettle reference deserved.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
....trying to talk logic with that guy is like getting blood out a Muppet...not gonna happen lol....

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
Modifying a boot loader causes no damages, stealing Windows Phone or apps does... Are you guys serious right now?

giddorah

May 25, 2009
Härnösand
I heard the reason MS didn't renew the Chevron-project was because it was implemented to give developers a cheap way to develop and test applications on their phone without having to pay the $99 straight away.

After they evaluated the results they however found out that the outcome from this project was VERY poor and hardly anyone had done any developing thanks to it. It was just being used by people who wanted to sideload apps and do nothing to advance the platform.

So they shut it down and are offering a year of development-unlock instead.

For $9 everyone gets $99... I think that's quite fair. Can't believe people are whining just because they got $99 worth of access for $9.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know some people are upset about the Chevron deal, and likewise I know others feel the Chevron team are unjustly being blamed for it, but, there's still no excuse for attacking others who are just voicing their opinions and venting.

If you don't agree with someone please either reply like a normal person or just move on to something else.
    What the hell man, this is just crazy what is Microsoft thinking? This will only drive more people away from the platform and will keep phone sales at the rate they are now or lower. Who in the world wants to pay $99 a year just to be able to customize a phone? I personally do currently pay the $99 but will stop soon this is just a death sentence for Windows phone, really someone over at MS gets fired over this.
    In practice, what this means for me?
    I've a Samsung WP unlocked by Chevron. So, I've installed Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps... this means that after the 120 days, theses apps won't work in my phone?

You're one of the people who make me disgusted at this community. Nokia apps (and other OEM apps) are device specific. You need to buy those devices to get those apps, as those apps on other devices is called stealing. Yet, this entire community insists they are entitled to things they have never paid for... Most of you don't want these accounts to "develop" or contribute, you want these accounts to sideload apps you have no way of paying for/getting.
    I don't mind the side loading. I mind the people coming in here to ***** about not having any way to load stolen software into their phone... Its just pathetic. I would understand if you're developing your ass off, but you're stealing... C'mon...

Sideloaded Apps?

Like most people here, I wanted the token to be able to sideload apps and customize my Focus. I have sideloaded dozens of homebrew apps and contributed to many of their developers. I have no "pirated" apps on my Focus and would not. My issue with what is happening now is the following:

1. Many token purchasers will be from regions not supported by the App Hub program;

2. The idea that revoking the token will lock us out of homebrew and sideloaded apps that we may have paid for through contributions, is fundamentally unethical and, IMHO, illegal. These are xaps that we sideloaded or downloaded (if you installed xaphandler, through IE or email attachments) legally, many paid for, and are on our phones legitimately. No one has the right to block these xaps from future use, no one.

3. The "solution is not a solution at all for some, and requires us "lending" MS $99. Many of us are unemployed and that $99 is just not practical.

If the revocation of the tokens causes any apps on our devices to cease to function, I urge everyone impacted to consider a class action suit against MS and Chevron Labs. No one has the right to preclude you from using legitimately obtained products for your devices.