[ROM] Official Sony Xperia ICS Beta ROM for arc S, ray, neo V

Search This thread

KalleD

May 6, 2011
Hi .
Today we release an Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) beta ROM, as a follow up to the previously released ICS alpha ROM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbDl8aikUk

In line with our goal to support the open XDA developer community, we want to give you the chance to try out our coming upgrade to ICS (Android™ 4.0) in this beta version. While the ICS alpha ROM was an early preview, the ICS beta ROM have passed some certifications such as Modem type approval.

As with the alpha release you should have an unlocked boot loader http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com, and have the knowledge to switch between different ROMs.

Find the links to download the packages at Developer World.
Again we appreciate your feedback on the beta ROM in this small survey. Some of the improvements in the Beta release compared to the alpha release:
• Updated UI
• Updated Widget picker
• Lockscreen
• Connectivity turned on
• Updated email client
• Added quick dial

Lastly, we do follow the comments and new threads posted at XDA and we will very shortly release the open source archives for custom ROM community. I know the FreeXperia team working on CyanogenMod have made lot’s of progress on their custom ICS ROM and we try to support the team within the frames that we are allowed to operate.

/Karl-Johan “Kalle” Dahlström
Sony Developer Program
http://developer.sonymobile.com/

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
nice work SE/Sony Dev team!

since i got the 2nd post here might as well make it useful ;)

important info:

ok so i dont have much time so will make this quick...

1. if u are on any Xperia 2011 device other than ARC S, RAY, NEO V then DO NOT FLASH THIS... cross flashing is NOT recommended... wait for the devs of ur devices to port it and provide update.zips for easy flashing

2. make sure that u are on stock .42 firmware (though .58/.62 may also work)

3. the ZIP file provided by SE/Sony CANNOT BE FLASHED VIA RECOVERY!!!! extract its contents and read on how to individually flash each file

4. after individually flashing each file reboot device (fastboot reboot), wait for boot up and then power off device; then hotboot (fastboot boot boot.img) any kernel for UR DEVICE which has recovery ,e.g. latest CM9 kernel, remember HOTBOOT IT; DO NOT FLASH IT DIRECTLY... once device starts booting enter recovery and flash the packages u want (GAPPS, wifi/bt enabler, Superuser Fix)... after that reboot device... now u should be back on stock SE/Sony ICS Beta kernel and device should boot normally

5. those guys who were having gsm/keypad crashes on leaked ROM check if gsm/keypad works correctly on this build

i will keep monitoring this thread and provide inputs when i can

useful links:

How to get ROOT,WIFI+BT, CWM Recovery, Face unclock + Gapps for ICS BETA

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
@SE/Sony Devs

why is the Xperia Play being left out always?

how do u expect ppl to get those devices if the vendor themselves dont support it... just releasing this ICS test roms ONLY for the "newest" phone models is not fair...

other devices should also be supported.... especially the totally different zeus board (R800i/R800a/R800x)...

Last edited:

hemo1001

Dec 9, 2008
Riyadh
HOLY ***** .... finally a fully working ICS ... downloading and will edit my post with a feed back ... thanks alot SE

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
What kind of excuse is this omg
Jk bro
I drop my wife for this lol

@ Sony is wifi meant to be working coz I thought it said wifi enabled in the thread
thanks again

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

to get FaceUnlock & Google Apps working, download the gapps-ics-20111230.zip file from the CM9 thread and hot boot (fastboot boot boot.img) any of my kernels/other kernels which have recovery and flash the gapps via recovery.... FaceUnlock should now work :)

regarding wifi/BT...

first try Bin4ry build.prop fix (just add two lines in build.prop) to get this working...

if that doesnt work check if the wifi modules (.ko) are there in /system/lib/modules/ also verify that the init.rc or init.semc.rc has the code to insert the modules at startup/bootup (insmod)

i am busy at the moment so dont have time to test this out :(

kormatoes

to get FaceUnlock & Google Apps working, download the gapps-ics-20111230.zip file from the CM9 thread and hot boot (fastboot boot boot.img) any of my kernels/other kernels which have recovery and flash the gapps via recovery.... FaceUnlock should now work :)

regarding wifi/BT...

first try Bin4ry build.prop fix (just add two lines in build.prop) to get this working...

if that doesnt work check if the wifi modules (.ko) are there in /system/lib/modules/ also verify that the init.rc or init.semc.rc has the code to insert the modules at startup/bootup (insmod)

i am busy at the moment so dont have time to test this out :(

Face lock done ooooo wifi need root and a recovery all links are dead lol
PS love you lol thanks this is epic

Reactions: jjdoctor

DooMLoRD

Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Face lock done ooooo wifi need root and a recovery all links are dead lol
PS love you lol thanks this is epic

for wifi on mogami board check if the following folder structure is there:
1330020760-clip-24kb.png

for rooting flash the following zip via recovery:
SuperUser Fix

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi .
    Today we release an Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) beta ROM, as a follow up to the previously released ICS alpha ROM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbDl8aikUk

In line with our goal to support the open XDA developer community, we want to give you the chance to try out our coming upgrade to ICS (Android™ 4.0) in this beta version. While the ICS alpha ROM was an early preview, the ICS beta ROM have passed some certifications such as Modem type approval.

As with the alpha release you should have an unlocked boot loader http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com, and have the knowledge to switch between different ROMs.

Find the links to download the packages at Developer World.
    Again we appreciate your feedback on the beta ROM in this small survey. Some of the improvements in the Beta release compared to the alpha release:
    • Updated UI
    • Updated Widget picker
    • Lockscreen
    • Connectivity turned on
    • Updated email client
    • Added quick dial

Lastly, we do follow the comments and new threads posted at XDA and we will very shortly release the open source archives for custom ROM community. I know the FreeXperia team working on CyanogenMod have made lot’s of progress on their custom ICS ROM and we try to support the team within the frames that we are allowed to operate.

/Karl-Johan “Kalle” Dahlström
    Sony Developer Program
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/
    nice work SE/Sony Dev team!

since i got the 2nd post here might as well make it useful ;)

important info:

1. if u are on any Xperia 2011 device other than ARC S, RAY, NEO V then DO NOT FLASH THIS... cross flashing is NOT recommended... wait for the devs of ur devices to port it and provide update.zips for easy flashing

3. the ZIP file provided by SE/Sony CANNOT BE FLASHED VIA RECOVERY!!!! extract its contents and read on how to individually flash each file

4. after individually flashing each file reboot device (fastboot reboot), wait for boot up and then power off device; then hotboot (fastboot boot boot.img) any kernel for UR DEVICE which has recovery ,e.g. latest CM9 kernel, remember HOTBOOT IT; DO NOT FLASH IT DIRECTLY... once device starts booting enter recovery and flash the packages u want (GAPPS, wifi/bt enabler, Superuser Fix)... after that reboot device... now u should be back on stock SE/Sony ICS Beta kernel and device should boot normally

5. those guys who were having gsm/keypad crashes on leaked ROM check if gsm/keypad works correctly on this build

useful links:

How to get ROOT,WIFI+BT, CWM Recovery, Face unclock + Gapps for ICS BETA
    ARC/ARC S users, i have created an Advanced Stock kernel:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520518

recovery + init.d support + autorooting + other stuff

its still based off stock kernel... i have began work on my DooMKernel for ICS-Beta :)
    After reading Sony blog again, we will be given Performance Toolbox if we choose to update to ICS :D So unnecessary services can be turned off. I know it might be able to do with Rom toolbox or similar app, but given it's built in is truly remarkable. :) Can't wait Sony!

Updated – comment from the Developer World team:

We we would like to clarify that above mentioned “challenges” have already been addressed by our SW engineering teams. For instance, we have not only optimised the RAM management by making the RAM usage for internal apps as good as possible, but we will also introduce a Performance assistant at start up when running ICS. In this Performance assistant, you can enable and disable certain services that you might not want to run on your phone, in order to optimise the performance of your phone.

We have also worked with quite a few partners in regards to architecture optimisations for SQL handling. In addition, we have also optimised the hardware usage. And as a result of this article, a number of app developers have notified us that they are evaluating if HW optimisation will be needed or not for their apps.

The aim of this article was to share our knowledge regarding the different characteristics for ICS and Gingerbread in an open way, as we strive to have an open communication with the developer community. All in all, we would like to point out that it’s our clear aim to deliver an as good ICS update as ever possible. As you might have seen on the Sony Xperia Product Blog, we’re not far from releasing it now. Thanks for all the feedback!

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/...ical-differences-between-gingerbread-and-ics/