[Q] Cracked frame - repairable?

Search This thread

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
I've developed two cracks in my frame, in opposite corners, where the plastic has actually fallen away in a decent-sized chunk. This is in the glossy plastic that directly bumps up against the glass.

Anyone know if this is a part I can locate online and replace myself? I replaced my Nexus 4 screen without difficulty (although that included the full front frame assembly), so I'm not afraid of the process, but I can't seem to find anything related to this part online.

Thanks!

TurboFool

Jun 22, 2007
Culver City
Not to even mention the fact that what's posted is for the 2012 model.

That being said, is this what you mean?

Ha, I managed to miss the wrong year, too.

And yes! The part that's pulled up in your photo is exactly what's cracked/broken on mine. I should have posted a photo, myself, to make it easier on people, but thought my description would be enough.

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
Ha, I managed to miss the wrong year, too.

And yes! The part that's pulled up in your photo is exactly what's cracked/broken on mine. I should have posted a photo, myself, to make it easier on people, but thought my description would be enough.

Sadly, our friend, while providing the wrong part, may have indeed been on the right track, looking at the teardown that 'part' seems to be part of the display assembly, it's rather hard to tell without taking apart my own device (not gonna happen), so I am going by teardown images etc.

In short, I doubt you will find that 'ring' by itself, however, you may be able to find a cracked device (with that part intact) for cheaper than a display assembly.

The image I posted comes from a recent G+ post, perhaps you'll want to keep an eye on it, maybe someone will find something.

Post: https://plus.google.com/+JohnFungo/posts/64eYQgyKVkr

mdamaged

Oct 16, 2013
South of Heaven
Moto G5 Plus
Google Pixel 4a
I really like the size of this thing as it is. I switched from a full case with magnetic cover to a slipcover just because I realized it was so much more comfortable to hold bare.

I hear you, I have the fosmon I posted, and it really does not add much at all, but obviously everyone's tolerance is different. Anyhow, hope you find a solution to your liking.

Top Liked Posts