No incoming calls when streaming radio over GPRS - SDA. Fix for this?

Search This thread

notaliberal

Jul 17, 2006
I've read all the posts on this, but near as I can tell nobody can figure out how to fix the problem...

When I'm streaming radio over my T-Mobile GPRS connection, my phone NEVER sees an incoming call. I jsut tested it 10 times, and every call went straight to voicemail without ringing - either on the SDA or in the earpiece of the landline I called from. This occasionally happens when simply browsing as well, if the incoming call happens to occur at exactly the same time the SDA is reading in a page. But the real pain is the streaming. I was so excited to finally be able to stream radio over the air, but I can't bring myself to ever use it, knowing that it will basically take my phone unreachable the whole time.

PLEASE tell me there's a fix for this!!!!

Uisng the T-mobile SDA, running the imate 2.6.33 ROM...

Please help.... :(

EvilSteve

May 2, 2006
There is no fix. GSM+GPRS is meant to have the ability to cancel data calls when a voice call comes in but I haven't found that this works on the SDA or many of the other devices either. It sucks a lot.

twinair

Sep 20, 2004
Sydney
Here's your explanation.
It's a limitation of the GSM service.

From here...
http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

The class indicates the mobile phone capabilities.

Class A
Class A mobile phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously.

Class B
Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended.

Class C
Class C mobile phones are attached to either GPRS or GSM voice service. You need to switch manually between services.

So you have a Class B service :)

notaliberal

Jul 17, 2006
Great Info Pinko! Thanks!

Still sucks though. If I have a class B device, there should be a way for the phone to at least recognize the incoming call when I'm streaming radio and interrupt it (the GPRS session) temporarily to inform me. But, I understand. Apparently when I'm streaming there isn't a "break" in transmission long enough for the GSM service to see the call and notify me - is that the jist of it?

Thanks again for the link.

cgigate

Sep 12, 2003
Texas, USA and Toronto,Canada
Here's your explanation.
It's a limitation of the GSM service.
So you have a Class B service :)
The explanation is not true!

When surfing or StreamMedia on EDGE, same problem ! no incoming call.
I put the SIM back on Sony Ericsson phone as Internet modem to PC on EDGE and GPRS, no any problem . It looks HTC or WM5.0 have some defective designing issue !

Last edited:

alphatheta

Jun 16, 2012
I have an HTC ONE V and im facing a similar problem. Whenever the mobile data connection is on and data is being transferred through it, the phone does not receive calls. This does not happen in other phones. I asked a few friends (with android phones) about this and they dont seem to be facing any such issues.

Any solution to this yet?

veyka

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2007
Norfolk
www.veyka.co.uk
I have an HTC ONE V and im facing a similar problem. Whenever the mobile data connection is on and data is being transferred through it, the phone does not receive calls. This does not happen in other phones. I asked a few friends (with android phones) about this and they dont seem to be facing any such issues.

Any solution to this yet?

Your best bet would be to ask in the HTC one V section here (Make sure to post in the Q/A section!)