Nexus 10 Dock

Search This thread

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
Hey everyone!

I really wanted a dock for my Nexus 10 but since none were available I decided to build my own. After posting pictures of it here, there were a lot of people that wanted to buy it. So I decided I would start selling them. I ended up selling a bunch and people seem to really like them. If you're interested, you can order one from Amazon.

More pics and details below

DSC02541.jpg

• Faster Charging - Built-in power connector to charge your tablet through a magnetic pogo connector. The tablet charges about 25% faster and is much easier to use than a microUSB cable. A USB cable coming out of the dock plugs into the wall adapter that comes with the tablet so this can be used anywhere in the world where the Nexus 10 is sold.
  • Easy Docking/Undocking - Since the connector is magnet based, there is nothing to plug in. The magnets auto align the tablet to the charging pins. This is as close to wireless charging as you're going to get with this tablet - just pick it up when you need it.
  • Weighted - Added steel weights inside the dock provide for increased stability and security while the tablet is docked. Also makes undocking the tablet easier by keeping the dock still. However, for best results, undocking the tablet by pulling horizontally as described in the tip above is still recommended.
  • Angled Design - For hands free movie watching, surfing the web, or playing a game all while the device is charging.

Here are some pics

DSC02533.jpg
DSC02534.jpg

DSC02535.jpg
DSC02538.jpg

DSC02542.jpg
DSC02549.jpg

DSC02544.jpg
DSC02545.jpg

Thanks for all the support guys! This was initially a fun little weekend project that took on a life of its own and went bananas, but I like bananas so it's all good :D

Last edited:

redthunda69

Aug 16, 2010
Atlanta
Damn this is awesome. Well done. I'm gonna make this with the "standard dock" instead.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
I see there are USB ports at the back of the dock. Do those ports work when the N10 is docked?

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO

hlaalu

Nov 24, 2007
Great job!

How is the balance on it? If you poke at your device is it pretty stable?

Andbanyan

Apr 2, 2012
San Diego
I am guessing that he means this one: http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Thrive-Standard-10-Inch-PA3956U-1PRP/dp/B004YIFOE6/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

They are inexpensive enough that I ordered one to see what I can do with it. Kind of reluctant to mod the POGO cable though.

If you don't want to mess with the POGO, it's gonna have to sit kind of high to fit in the dock. It might still work (haven't tried it), but maybe just look a little awkward. The other end of the POGO you can just run out of one of the holes of the standard dock, which I think is what redthunda is going to try.

Would love to see your guy's ideas and pics if you ever end up building something.

redthunda69

Aug 16, 2010
Atlanta
Ill have pics up in this thread of my build after the parts arive next week.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Would love to see your guy's ideas and pics if you ever end up building something.

My standard dock came today. It has a lot fewer internals to deal with, but same basic process you described so well above. For the cord, I just cut a slot in one of the holes in the back. My tablet needs to be in a case or have a shim in back to maintain contact with the POGO plug, but it works well enough. Thanks for the great idea! Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• IMG_8219.JPG
    IMG_8219.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • IMG_8220.JPG
    IMG_8220.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • IMG_8221.JPG
    IMG_8221.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMG_8222.JPG
    IMG_8222.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 1,195
  • IMG_8227.jpg
    IMG_8227.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,192
Reactions: lKBZl

redthunda69

Aug 16, 2010
Atlanta
Very cool. I'm gonna try to angle the pogo cable so the tablet rests on the back.

Ken401

Dec 26, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Very cool. I'm gonna try to angle the pogo cable so the tablet rests on the back. Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Let me know how it goes. Try removing material from the rear of the connector slot to get the plug closer to the stand. The way friction holds the plug in place, I don't think you can do too much to adjust the angle. There is a piece of rubber cushion over the slot on the surface of the dock which you can toss or cut to widen its opening also. I used double faced tape to reattach the cushion as well as the rubber pad on the bottom.

I made a total mess trying to remove the Toshiba logo from the front, so I printed off a Nexus 10 logo and taped it to the front like a sticker. Hint: Don't use acetone as it eats the plastic too.

Cutting the POGO plug is delicate. I nicked the covering on two wires which I then covered with electrical tape just as a precaution.

Last edited:

redthunda69

Aug 16, 2010
Atlanta
I got my pogo cable in today, and I decided to pop the casing off (using a tiny flathead screwdriver) and use sandpaper to wear it down rather than saw it for a more precise cut. It worked out pretty well! Here's some pictures of the pogo cable disassembled. I sanded off the plastic on the bottom all the way up to the two plastic pins that keep the assembly together.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366230767381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366230767381.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,173
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366230804047.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366230804047.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,183
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone!

I really wanted a dock for my Nexus 10 but since none were available I decided to build my own. After posting pictures of it here, there were a lot of people that wanted to buy it. So I decided I would start selling them. I ended up selling a bunch and people seem to really like them. If you're interested, you can order one from Amazon.

More pics and details below

DSC02541.jpg

• Faster Charging - Built-in power connector to charge your tablet through a magnetic pogo connector. The tablet charges about 25% faster and is much easier to use than a microUSB cable. A USB cable coming out of the dock plugs into the wall adapter that comes with the tablet so this can be used anywhere in the world where the Nexus 10 is sold.
    • Easy Docking/Undocking - Since the connector is magnet based, there is nothing to plug in. The magnets auto align the tablet to the charging pins. This is as close to wireless charging as you're going to get with this tablet - just pick it up when you need it.
    • Weighted - Added steel weights inside the dock provide for increased stability and security while the tablet is docked. Also makes undocking the tablet easier by keeping the dock still. However, for best results, undocking the tablet by pulling horizontally as described in the tip above is still recommended.
    • Angled Design - For hands free movie watching, surfing the web, or playing a game all while the device is charging.

Here are some pics

DSC02533.jpg
    DSC02534.jpg

DSC02535.jpg
    DSC02538.jpg

DSC02542.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg

DSC02544.jpg
    DSC02545.jpg

Thanks for all the support guys! This was initially a fun little weekend project that took on a life of its own and went bananas, but I like bananas so it's all good :D
    material is 30bucks plus shipping included @.@

please make a TuT

First of all these cost way more than $30 to make. There's a lot more that goes into it than just those two parts. Secondly, there was a lot of industrial level supplies and equipment that's needed that even if I did do a tutorial you wouldn't have access to. I work as a R&D Engineer so I have access and have suppliers.

But most importantly, I put in a lot of time, effort, and money in developing these. Why do you think you're entitled to all that for free? I will write a tutorial if enough people ask for it, but I'm not going to do it just for you, especially now.
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their support. This new version has been a huge success! I'm having trouble keeping up with all you guys!
    Hope you guys are all liking your docks! Just wanted to float an idea out to you guys to see what you guys think. I've been getting a lot of requests for audio out from the dock. The problem is the pogo cable that I use does not support audio out. I had the idea of embedding a Bluetooth receiver in the dock connected to the aux output from the back. Would anyone be interested in this solution? It would effectively be the same as if it were through the pogo as it would auto connect to the Bluetooth.

Let me know what you think

Thanks!
    I don't need a dock - I just wanted to say that "CaramelBoogers" is just about the funniest username I've ever heard. Well done!