[SOLVED] Can't sideload a ROM because it adb doesn't show device?

Search This thread

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
I have the device attached, it shows up in fastboot, but when I do "adb devices" it shows nothing. Therefore I cannot sideload a ROM. The reason I have to sideload is because there is currently no system to boot into.

Is it because I have to find the correct drivers or something? I tried installed HTC Sync manager but that didn't install the drivers. Is there anything I can do to get my device showing up to ADB? I have CWM installed and I went into recovery, enabled sideload and still no results.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have a ROM on my sd card already but it won't install. It says error in data/media/0/paranoidota/ROM.zip when trying to install.

Edit: The phone is S-OFF and all that, as I said, the device shows up via fastboot, is there something I can do there?

Last edited:

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
This had me stumped too.

Look in the device manager and you'll see a device called one. Manually force the drive to android device bridge and try again. Adb devices will return sideload next to the device id

Reactions: RED_

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
I have the device attached, it shows up in fastboot, but when I do "adb devices" it shows nothing. Therefore I cannot sideload a ROM. The reason I have to sideload is because there is currently no system to boot into.

Is it because I have to find the correct drivers or something? I tried installed HTC Sync manager but that didn't install the drivers. Is there anything I can do to get my device showing up to ADB? I have CWM installed and I went into recovery, enabled sideload and still no results.

I have a ROM on my sd card already but it won't install. It says error in data/media/0/paranoidota/ROM.zip when trying to install.

Edit: The phone is S-OFF and all that, as I said, the device shows up via fastboot, is there something I can do there?

1- you should switch to TWRP, if you have m7_u / ul then 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4, other versions seem to have problems with 4.4+ ROMs

2- check faq #2: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52135024&postcount=2

btw, it's in the FAQ sticky ;) last post

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
Last edited:

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thanks. I'm able to sideload now but the ROM won't install :(

"E: error executing updater binary in zip /data/"

More trouble! I'll try a few different ROMs to see if there is an issue with the ROM.

you're in the UK, so safe to assume you have an m7_ul model, did you switch to TWRP 2.6.3.3 or .4?

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
Delete the file and sideload again. I couldn't flash a zip, but sideloaded again and it was fine. I assume md5's are correct in the PC

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
Delete the file and sideload again. I couldn't flash a zip, but sideloaded again and it was fine. I assume md5's are correct in the PC

Still no results. Same error. Deleted the file, tried a sideload again.

This is the full script of what it shows:

"Installing /data/media/0/sideload.zip"
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: No MD5 file found.
E: Error executing updater binary in zip /data/

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
Sorry, what i meant was have you checked the md5 of the file you're transfering on the pc against the download site? It sounds like either the file is corrupt or your recovery can't process it

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
Sorry, what i meant was have you checked the md5 of the file you're transfering on the pc against the download site? It sounds like either the file is corrupt or your recovery can't process it

I tried a different ROM where I did an MD5 check but with everything OK I still get this error. This is the ROM I tried :http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2472604

Edit: The guys in the Paranoid Android ROM thread say I need a 2.7.0.8 TWRP, That was the ROM I was initially having trouble with and trying to sideload.

Last edited:

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
If it shows up in the device manager on your pc, try go back one version of twrp. It should come up as an adb device

I was able to 4.3 B-ETA2 of paranoid android installed and working. On the TWRP suggested in this thread, the Paranoid Android thread lot are saying to get 4.4 I need the most up to date TWRP, so I guess now I can update twrp and load the latest version onto the phone without needing to sideload, hopefully.

Edit: Yup that's what happened. Worked perfectly. I basically needed to update TWRP to the latest version, after flashing an old ROM on via a sideload beucase ParanoidAndroid 4.4 needs the latest TWRP. Thanks for the advice in there. Will hit the thanks button in a sec!

Edit: Limited to 8 thanks a day, how terrible!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This had me stumped too.

Look in the device manager and you'll see a device called one. Manually force the drive to android device bridge and try again. Adb devices will return sideload next to the device id

1- you should switch to TWRP, if you have m7_u / ul then 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4, other versions seem to have problems with 4.4+ ROMs

2- check faq #2: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52135024&postcount=2

btw, it's in the FAQ sticky ;) last post
    Thanks. I'm able to sideload now but the ROM won't install :(

"E: error executing updater binary in zip /data/"

More trouble! I'll try a few different ROMs to see if there is an issue with the ROM.

you're in the UK, so safe to assume you have an m7_ul model, did you switch to TWRP 2.6.3.3 or .4?
    I used the most recent twrp available. Think its 2.7.1.1
    Yeah I just put that one on. Now we're back to the original problem, it doesn't show my devices when I try to sideload. This is a right pain.

If it shows up in the device manager on your pc, try go back one version of twrp. It should come up as an adb device