3 UK Network data hanging - UPDATE THREE ACCEPT ISSUE

Search This thread

lolcat12

Jan 4, 2011
I had the dropping issue on 3internet aswell as three.co.uk

Upgraded to KF2 and seems to have fixed the issue.

My H is around 10 meg....peak times around 5 meg...

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
OK, unusual update. Changing the APN seems to have fixed it. The issue hasn't happened in quite some time now, whereas it usually happens several times a day.

However, since changing the APN, certain websites will not load. Namely eBay's non-mobile site and thepiratebay. I'm thinking maybe using this APN imposes some kind of block on your account?

EDIT: This thread indicates that there is indeed an adult filter on the 3INTERNET APN, and that changing it also stops MMS and various other services from working :(

I think I'll have to call THREE tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited:

gonwan

Jun 22, 2011
i dont think it's 3 related. I bought mine unlocked phone on the release day from phones4u in the UK, but have been using in HK ever since, and i get the same problem on rooted KE7, ZSKF1, ZSKF4, Litening ROM 1.4.

However only lately though, i didnt notice it during the first 7 weeks, but its more frequent now.

I normally goto Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile > turn off Packet Data, wait for the 3g arrows to disappear then turn it back on.

Yes, the problem is annoying, and i rely on whatsapp too.

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
i dont think it's 3 related. I bought mine unlocked phone on the release day from phones4u in the UK, but have been using in HK ever since, and i get the same problem on rooted KE7, ZSKF1, ZSKF4, Litening ROM 1.4.

However only lately though, i didnt notice it during the first 7 weeks, but its more frequent now.

I normally goto Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile > turn off Packet Data, wait for the 3g arrows to disappear then turn it back on.

Yes, the problem is annoying, and i rely on whatsapp too.

As a tip, you can cycle data from the power menu.

I think it may be a conflict with the handset and certain APNs. I have two reasons to think this:

Like I said, my best friend has used the same ROMs on Vodafone and it doesn't happen to him.

Since changing my APN to from 'three.co.uk' to '3internet', which I think is really for wireless dongles, I have not come across the problem at all. If it weren't for the annoying adult filter I would stick with it.

I've changed back to the KE1 stock Three firmware to see if this helps at all.

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
I have done some more research. It appears that I am now blocked from adult websites (not sure if I was before as I don't actually use them). The Pirate Bay is hit and miss which was always fine before. I read some forums and came across this:

Why do I sometimes get blocked, but at other times I can view the same site?
We’re updating the way we route internet traffic on our network. While we’re doing this work, you may occasionally get routed through a path that blocks access to certain websites. If this happens, switch off your phone and then switch it on again, or switch it into flight-safe mode and then back – this will reset the connection. This is a temporary problem and shouldn’t happen after 11 April 2011.

It sounds like they are working on the network, but it was due to be finished by now.

Last edited:

lolcat12

Jan 4, 2011
I have done some more research. It appears that I am now blocked from adult websites (not sure if I was before as I don't actually use them). The Pirate Bay is hit and miss which was always fine before. I read some forums and came across this:

Why do I sometimes get blocked, but at other times I can view the same site?
We’re updating the way we route internet traffic on our network. While we’re doing this work, you may occasionally get routed through a path that blocks access to certain websites. If this happens, switch off your phone and then switch it on again, or switch it into flight-safe mode and then back – this will reset the connection. This is a temporary problem and shouldn’t happen after 11 April 2011.

It sounds like they are working on the network, but it was due to be finished by now.

From what I gathered three.co.uk blocks website 3internet is completely open..

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
From what I gathered three.co.uk blocks website 3internet is completely open..

That is what I thought, but both have age restrictions. I cannot access adult material from either. I called Three today and they are removing the age restriction on my account.

PROGRESS UPDATE

After a bit of research I have concluded that the issue is that the Three Network (and evidently some others) just doesn't get on with custom firmwares.

I reverted to stock Three firmware (KE1) and stock KE1 kernel last night and I have not had the issue at all today, whereas before I was having the issue 5 or 6 times a day.

This makes me think that the Three Network obviously sometimes has this problem (as I described 2 posts above), but that they obviously tinkered with their firmware to overcome this.

I guess, therefore, that my query is, can I use the KE1 Modem on later firmwares?

qasdfdsaq

Dec 31, 2010

I think it is 3 related as I see this problem with all my phones on the 3 UK network. The same handset(s) don't have the problem on other UK networks.

To be honest "the internet stops working" isn't a particularly useful error description, and could be any of a hundred different things.

My 2 pence:
I've seen this happen on all my handsets on 3 UK pretty much daily for about 5 years straight. I believe it's the network itself. Nokia N95, E51, E71, HTC Desire, Samsung GS2 all have regular issues on 3 where the 3G data gets stuck, and either requires you to turn the data connection off and on again, or it solves itself in about ~3-5 minutes. For the GS2 it's happened with all the stock firmwares.

So far it's only happened once on my GS2 on Vodafone UK in a month and a half. It's never happened on an foreign networks, though I've only been abroad 3 days.

daleski75

Jul 21, 2008
Northampton
I had the same issue with t-mobile where it would hang seemingly for a while and sometimes if I left it then it would fix itself but more than likely it would be flight mode on and off which resolves it.

This has happened on KE1, KE2, KE7 and not so much on KF2

Giffgaff (O2) and Vodafone don't seem to have this issue so far.

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
Some great information here. I don't really know another way to describe the issue - sorry. If I knew more details, I could fix the problem :p

It sounds like that info that I found above is the source - to do with routing things, and particularly things that might be caught by a content filter.

For reference, I have been using stock 3 KE1 firmware for 24 hours and not had the issue one under heavy use and in several locations. With Villainrom I was getting the issue several times a day, even with minimal use so this definitely helps, unless 3's first good day coincidentally fell on the same day that I tried their firmware.

Jun 11, 2011
Sheffield
Hi,

Just to let people know I am on three, with ke7. Last night I had my first major problem with connecting to the Internet. It was exactly as other people have described on here. The only solution I could find was to restore the phone, which was a shame.

I am considering returning back to ke1 but does anyone have a copy of the stock three rom?

MrRoberts69

Jun 17, 2011

t5lad

Aug 6, 2010
My update to this thread. I switched to KF2 two days ago and the improvement has been noticeable. My phone hasnt dropped connection once. It did stumble briefly when trying to load a page. I'll report back again in a couple of days.

Spoke to a friend in London with the same phone on Vodafone. His has also started to drop data connection. I wonder if it could just be a glitch in the software rather than a problem with the carrier. My APN settings are still completely standard.

tocheto

Oct 31, 2007
I've got the same problem with the connection. Flashed few roms but the problem keeps coming. Hope Samsung will sort this out with an update.I'm back on the 3's stock rom, wich I think is less affected.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

tocheto

Oct 31, 2007
Can someone, who still has not rooted his SGS2 and using 3's stock rom share his experience with the data connection.

mike freegan

May 12, 2005
Can someone, who still has not rooted his SGS2 and using 3's stock rom share his experience with the data connection.

As said, I'm back on unrooted stock rom, and haven't had a single issue in 2 days under heavy use. On Villain Rom and cognition, it would have happened about 10 - 15 times by now. I can say 100% that the problem does not exist on stock firmware.

Isadora

Nov 14, 2009
London
Had the phone for nearly 4 weeks and I've not noticed any problems with my data connection so far (touch wood and all...) I'm on unrooted stock KE7 (sim-free phone from Expansys, that's what it came shipped with). I *always* keep my phones stock for a while after getting them, just to make sure everything's working as it should, must have one where they forgot to mess things up at the factory because I have zero issues with it :p

PyroCF

Aug 26, 2010
I had this problem too. 3 mobile is pretty awful to be honest. I moved straight to talk mobile and haven't looked back. Vodafones signal is really good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have also found a fix for this, but a different way. Villainrom 1.4 (kf2) with kf2 kernel as recommended. Combined with ke1 radio.

Turn off fast dormancy, and change the APN from three.co.uk to 3internet

Not had a single hang up in days.
    Solve Galaxy s2 data problems on Three by changing the APN

WHen you insert a three sim into an unlocked Galaxy S2, it by default Installs a WAP APN. This APN only seems to work intermittently and hangs often. After various factory resets on my handset and lots of phone conversations with Network three (who it has to be said tried their best to help me resolve the issue) we ended up nowhere. They intimated that it is network mast capacity upgrade which is to blame.

Now the only reason why I experimented with APNs is my desire HD and Motorola Atrix did not have a default APN on three and I had to set these up manually. Now interestingly I thought Three were throttling my data because I am a data hog, but I didn’t seem to have the problem on the atrix that I was experiencing on the S2. I went onto the three website and experimented with all the APNs and found one that works a charm on the S2.

I am hitting 4140kbit per second using that APN sitting at my desk versus around 300kbit per second on the other APNs I tried sitting at the same spot.

Now the APN set up form on the S2 is different from the ones on the desire HD and the Atrix hence those APNs will not work properly.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, give this APN a try and let me know if it sorts the issue out.

Name 3
    APN: three.co.uk
    MMSC: http:/mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: 217.171.129.2
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 20
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN Type: internet + mms
    Im still having the problem here, after having tried every rom, every modem and every single apn known to man, I can assure you the issue is not getting sorted. The strange thing is, it only happens in one location for me, and that is my work when I need it most.

I contacted Three about the problem, and they redirected me to their repair site to get my phone fixed, even after I have told them its not just the S2, as one of my colleagues is having the same issue on an iPhone.

I am going to try to cancel my contract with them as I primarily use the phone for work and we contact by call or whatsapp... and when the data connection doesn't work none of us can call either.