help deciding what tablet

Search This thread

jammicphi

Oct 4, 2012
Need help deciding what tablet to get I currently have an iPad 4 retina 64gb, and I like it but have come to the conclusion that I only like it because the apps are optimized for the tablet screen, have the note 2 and love it and want the same experience on a tablet instead of waiting around for a jailbreak to get somethings that I can do on an android tablet. I like to play video games and the moga or plug in an Xbox 360 controller is a plus for me widgets and all that fun stuff I like. The choice of tablets that I'm considering is the Asus transformer infinity with keyboard dock or the nexus 10 leaning more to the infinity because with the keyboard dock it can replace my laptop with splash top connecting to my Mac mini it is a laptop at all times. Things that concern me is screen resolution, and tablet optimized apps any help is much appreciated.

JOSE89178

Jul 12, 2012
Nevada
Need help deciding what tablet to get I currently have an iPad 4 retina 64gb, and I like it but have come to the conclusion that I only like it because the apps are optimized for the tablet screen, have the note 2 and love it and want the same experience on a tablet instead of waiting around for a jailbreak to get somethings that I can do on an android tablet. I like to play video games and the moga or plug in an Xbox 360 controller is a plus for me widgets and all that fun stuff I like. The choice of tablets that I'm considering is the Asus transformer infinity with keyboard dock or the nexus 10 leaning more to the infinity because with the keyboard dock it can replace my laptop with splash top connecting to my Mac mini it is a laptop at all times. Things that concern me is screen resolution, and tablet optimized apps any help is much appreciated.

Sounds like the Nexus 10 would be best for you.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008

Sounds like the Nexus 10 would be best for you.

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium
Except for the fact that the Nexus 10 has a) availability issues and, more importantly, b) quality control issues that seem even worse than with the 700. You furthermore do not get the added battery life because of the powered dock, and less storage options. Why do you put forward the N10? :confused:

More on-topic, though: it really depends on preference, as Thats OK already said. I really do like the battery-powered dock and the extra oomph that gives -- I have a relatively long commute and irregular shifts, so it pleases me a lot not having to recharge every 12 hours, or whenever a wall socket is available somewhere. ;) The screen resolution is fine -- I happily read technical (medical) books and articles, for which the radiographs, charts and stuff all come out really nicely, and even the private reading is a pleasure (text is crisp, contrast is good). The movies and documentaries or TED talks I regularly watch are great, too.

Nah. I'd pick the TF700 if it came out now if I had no other options. However... and we also discussed this last week -- you really should use the serch function, you know :) -- someone I forgot the name of mentioned that soon a bunch of new models of several brands will be announced soon, and it might be prudent to wait it out a bit. You might shoot yourself in the foot when buying into an aging system, no matter how well it performs. Then again, in tech, there's always something better just around the corner, and if you wait, you can wait forever. :)

Good luck deciding!

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
MWC is coming tomorrow and I am sure the right thing to do now is WAIT!!! Many new awesome products may be introduced during MWC, which may include tablets. I was hoping for a new Transformer tablet, but it seems that ASUS will introduce a new Padfone, which technically can still be considered a tablet.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
While you may end up with a better tablet if you wait, that same logic would mean that you would never buy a tablet since there are *always* newer and better devices around the corner. Even if the "perfect" tablet gets announced tomorrow, you then need to wait another few months before actually getting your hands on it (if you are lucky) - and even then, how knows what will happen (could end up being a dud). You just can't tell the future!

My advice - go to Best Buy today, mess with a few different models for an hour or so and buy one NOW! We are not talking about purchasing a new house here - it's a tablet that costs ~$500 that will be worn-out and/or outdated in a year or two anyway. Satisfy the urge and go get what seems best - you won't regret it - any modern tablet is an extremely fun device to use!

It's easy for us to tell you to wait - we already have a tablet that we are thoroughly enjoying! :)

Just my opinion.... :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: mrlakadaddy

wurgy

Jan 27, 2013
Fargo
Another question from a lurker

Would you get the 32gb and dock or get the 64gb and grab a dock later?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Another question from a lurker

Would you get the 32gb and dock or get the 64gb and grab a dock later?

IMO 32 gb for the internal memory is plenty to hold your apps and some media. I put all the space-intensive stuff, music, pics, videos on external SD/micro cards anyway.
The dock, providing a good keyboard, extra battery, USB and extra SD card slot is one of the main selling points for this tablet.
If you want a dock, the TF700 is your best choice - no doubt about it.
If you don't need/want the dock you have quite a few other choices for a great tablet out there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Toastysoul

Aug 28, 2012
I thought about waiting myself. However, I wanted Tegra platform, and it looks like the earliest a Tegra 4 TF would release is in July. Side by side, I don't see a difference in the quality of the screen between an ipad 4 and a TF700. OTOH, the TF700 screen gets very very bright for outdoor usage.

As to storage, I've got a 32GB TF700, a 32GB microsd card installed, and the keyboard dock with a 16GB SD card in it; that's roughly 80GB of raw storage here and I can easily expand it. With the dock, battery life is phenominal. The tiny keyboard is taking some getting used to, but it's very handy. In fact, I haven't even turned my old dell laptop on since I got this. Just haven't needed it. I use a PS3 dualshock controller and a micro-hdmi cable for emulator gaming on the big screen. It's pretty cool. Haven't played any of these SNES games since I was a teenager.

The touchwiz launcher on your note 2 isn't available on a transformer. Asus has it's own launcher, but it's very nice. I suggest you try one out in Best Buy. They have a sale this week, the TF700 is $429, and the KB dock $99. That's like $120 off full price. Though, I think they change their sales on wed, so I'd decide quickly.

I don't regret buying the TF700 one bit. It's a good tablet/laptop replacement, and less than half the price of Asus's own ultrabook with a touchscreen. The only thing I'm really sacrificing is a full windows platform. In all the time I've had my old laptop though, I never really did anything on it that I couldn't do on this tablet, and this tablet does it for over 8 hours longer, lol.

lucius.zen

Sep 16, 2012
Halifax

Seriously, fck samsung and there crappy-soft-plastic build quality. Anyone who would consider a samsung product does not know anything about build quality. The ridiculously high resolution? Not worth it. Why push a higher pixel count than the retina display if you cant see pixels beyond retina display. All of the android tablets anounced for this yr do not improve on the infinity except for vizios tablet that uses a tegra 4, and who knows when that will actualy be released. The tegra 4 is expected to ship on devices late this year. Of tablets on the market a non-stock infinity handles them all with no issue. I can confirm this bc i work at a tech store and have tested them all against my infinity. No android tablet can replace a laptop like an infinity. Since buying mine 8 mos ago I havent once used my old laptop.

Reactions: berndblb

huy_lonewolf

Mar 5, 2012
Singapore
Seriously, fck samsung and there crappy-soft-plastic build quality. Anyone who would consider a samsung product does not know anything about build quality. The ridiculously high resolution? Not worth it. Why push a higher pixel count than the retina display if you cant see pixels beyond retina display. All of the android tablets anounced for this yr do not improve on the infinity except for vizios tablet that uses a tegra 4, and who knows when that will actualy be released. The tegra 4 is expected to ship on devices late this year. Of tablets on the market a non-stock infinity handles them all with no issue. I can confirm this bc i work at a tech store and have tested them all against my infinity. No android tablet can replace a laptop like an infinity. Since buying mine 8 mos ago I havent once used my old laptop.

Just want to make a slight correction, minus the keyboard dock, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z has much better hardware specs than the tf700 (Snapdragon S4 Pro, 2 GB RAM, even 4G LTE). Since it is going to be released in May in the US, it will be a mistake not to consider it.

wurgy

Jan 27, 2013
Fargo
Dang must be a local best buy sale, mines still at $499. Though about the xperia but really like the idea if the dock. With the Ubuntu coming out it could make the tf700 VERY interesting.

If I get it I will be getting a dock. Was just wondering if it's better to get the 64 or just have a microSD and SD in the dock and call it good.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Just want to make a slight correction, minus the keyboard dock, the Sony Xperia Tablet Z has much better hardware specs than the tf700 (Snapdragon S4 Pro, 2 GB RAM, even 4G LTE). Since it is going to be released in May in the US, it will be a mistake not to consider it.

The problem is that you can't get a keyboard dock with the Sony, which is one of the TF700's main selling points!

I cannot understand why other manufacturers aren't offering an optional keyboard dock - I simply wont even consider a tablet without a keyboard dock -ever. It just makes the device that much more useful...

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Don't they make bluetooth keyboards that would work?

Absolutely not - a bluetooth keyboard is not even close to a true keyboard dock. A true keyboard dock is integrated with the device - it becomes part of the device. It includes an a battery to charge the device, a USB port, a SD memory card slot, customized buttons on the keyboard, a trackpad with two mouse buttons and even doubles as a stand for the tablet (which even charges the tablet!).

On the other hand, a bluetooth keyboard is just another separate accessory that you have to lug around, actually requires batteries instead of providing a battery, has no expansion slots and is, in general, a pain in the a$$ to work with (I know, I've tried).

So, as you can see - while they do make bluetooth keyboards that would work, they do not provide anywhere near the level of integration or functionality of a true keyboard dock. It's not even close.

Reactions: Soul TKR

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks! You make me feel REALLY good about buying this tablet :bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Dang must be a local best buy sale, mines still at $499. Though about the xperia but really like the idea if the dock. With the Ubuntu coming out it could make the tf700 VERY interesting.

If I get it I will be getting a dock. Was just wondering if it's better to get the 64 or just have a microSD and SD in the dock and call it good.

I load all my large files like media and videos on SD/micro cards, basically use the internal for apps and such only. 32gb is plenty for me in that regard...
64gb micro in the tablet, 64gb SD in the dock + optional USB stick.... I don't think I'll ever run out of storage on this baby! ;)

sackofnoise

Feb 8, 2009
Quebec
If the idea of having a keyboard is appealing to you, get the infinity...
If you find it slow, unlock bootloader and install cromi :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While you may end up with a better tablet if you wait, that same logic would mean that you would never buy a tablet since there are *always* newer and better devices around the corner. Even if the "perfect" tablet gets announced tomorrow, you then need to wait another few months before actually getting your hands on it (if you are lucky) - and even then, how knows what will happen (could end up being a dud). You just can't tell the future!

My advice - go to Best Buy today, mess with a few different models for an hour or so and buy one NOW! We are not talking about purchasing a new house here - it's a tablet that costs ~$500 that will be worn-out and/or outdated in a year or two anyway. Satisfy the urge and go get what seems best - you won't regret it - any modern tablet is an extremely fun device to use!

It's easy for us to tell you to wait - we already have a tablet that we are thoroughly enjoying! :)

Just my opinion.... :)

Don't they make bluetooth keyboards that would work?

Absolutely not - a bluetooth keyboard is not even close to a true keyboard dock. A true keyboard dock is integrated with the device - it becomes part of the device. It includes an a battery to charge the device, a USB port, a SD memory card slot, customized buttons on the keyboard, a trackpad with two mouse buttons and even doubles as a stand for the tablet (which even charges the tablet!).

On the other hand, a bluetooth keyboard is just another separate accessory that you have to lug around, actually requires batteries instead of providing a battery, has no expansion slots and is, in general, a pain in the a$$ to work with (I know, I've tried).

So, as you can see - while they do make bluetooth keyboards that would work, they do not provide anywhere near the level of integration or functionality of a true keyboard dock. It's not even close.