Having trouble modifying /sys files

Search This thread

n00b5auc3

Jun 10, 2014
Hey Everyone,

Trying to modify /sys/module/msm_otg/parameters/usbhost_charge_mode from it's default value of 'Y' to '1' in order to enable usb charging + OTG while using ElementalX's kernel. No matter what I do, I get either access is denied, or when trying to commit a change with sysctl I get nothing as the changes aren't being saved. Been working on this for the past 6 hours and can't figure it out!!! I know there's an easy straight forward way to do this, just can't figure it out!

Please help!!

Thanks,
Noob

THEBANDIT420

Aug 19, 2013
Youve mounted R/W right? Or should I say write? Ahah software puns.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

n00b5auc3

Jun 10, 2014
Mounted as r/w and rooted...

Youve mounted R/W right? Or should I say write? Ahah software puns.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah, meant to add that detail last night but forgot in my frustration. Mounted as R/W, also, did a chmod 777 on the file as well to verify perms were correct.

Tried doing all this work via terminal vi which didn't work, then tried doing an adb pull, update the file adb push, which resulted in a permissions failure. Everything leads me to believe that my root isn't a FULL root; however, I can't find another method of performing said root. Used WugFresh Nexus Root Toolkit v1.8.3 to perform root.

Thanks for your help man,

Noob

n00b5auc3

Jun 10, 2014
Here's what I've done so far

Try to do that with Root Explorer

Just tried what you suggested, it appeared to save; however, upon verification, the file reverted from '1' back to 'Y'.

So far I've tried:
  1. Using a chmod 777 on the file via su terminal, edit file with vi, attempt to save - result - failure..
  2. Using ES File Explorer with root permissions and mount /system in RW enabled, nav to file and edit with ES text editor, save - result - failure...
  3. Mount /system as RW using some app I can't remember, then navigate using ES File Explorer to location, edit using ES text editor, save - result - failure...
  4. adb pull on the file, update, adb push back to location - result - failure
  5. su attempt to delete, move, and rename file in an effort to replace it - result - failure....

I'm pretty sure whoever made that file had ninja training, because every time I try to touch it it totally evades me. -_- Anyways, thanks for the help in advance.

n00b