[Q] Bricked?

Search This thread

jbeazell

Apr 14, 2011
I was attempting to work through applying the .218 update to my droid 4. It was giving me a system validation error while when it was running in recovery. I found a thread that stated I needed to replace the apks and odex's as well as the build.prop. I didn't read it carefully enough as it said to replace *THE* problem ones. My validation error was on the build.prop file, I think.

In any case, I was using root explorer to copy *ALL* the files from a base zip file's app folder into the /system/app folder. Things were going along fine, until the phone app forced closed, then the phone rebooted.

Now I'm boot looping.

What can I do? I don't have any safe straps.

jbeazell

Apr 14, 2011
Can't access safestrap? Stock recovery? Adb services?

Sent from my DROID4 using Carrier Pigeons

thanks for the reply...

I don't have safestrap installed on the device, and I've never used it. I don't think that's an option, unless you have something up your sleeve there :)

As for Stock recovery, I'd love to give it a try, but I don't know how that would work. I can't get to ADB because I can't boot the phone.

I *CAN* get into the bootloader. From there, I can get into recovery, AP Fastboot, BP SBF Flash BP boot... and others.

So, I'm hoping there's some kind of way to push to the device from one of the boot loader options. I've had a Droid 1, and a number of other android devices, but I've never gotten this far into a hole before.

again... thanks for whatever you got :)

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
It doesn't look good my friend, not without a SBF to flash. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to try flashing the update again and cross your fingers that you got things in place before the bootloop. However I'm 99.9% sure that won't work. If I find anything else I'll let you now, but at this point you might be a sitting duck.

Reactions: jbeazell

jbeazell

Apr 14, 2011
It doesn't look good my friend, not without a SBF to flash. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to try flashing the update again and cross your fingers that you got things in place before the bootloop. However I'm 99.9% sure that won't work. If I find anything else I'll let you now, but at this point you might be a sitting duck.

I have the update on the SD Card, and nope, flashing it results in the same system validation error, and a bootloop.

thanks. Do you think that flashing the RAZR sbf's would get me a booting device? I only got the thing 14 days ago. Maybe I can exchange it :)

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
I have the update on the SD Card, and nope, flashing it results in the same system validation error, and a bootloop.

thanks. Do you think that flashing the RAZR sbf's would get me a booting device? I only got the thing 14 days ago. Maybe I can exchange it :)

If you're still in the 14 day return window I would try to return it. If it can't get past the bootloader than they won't know you rooted it. Just tell them you tried to do the update and it bootlooped. That's probably you're safest bet.

Reactions: jbeazell

jbeazell

Apr 14, 2011
If you're still in the 14 day return window I would try to return it. If it can't get past the bootloader than they won't know you rooted it. Just tell them you tried to do the update and it bootlooped. That's probably you're safest bet.

I'm heading down there in a few minutes. Thanks for the help all ! I think I'm getting the razr maxx. My wife has one and the screen on that thing is incredible. I think it's worth losing the keyboard to get that screen... and the battery life. That part is also incredible.

again.. thanks.

BTW, you guys absolutely rock. You've helped me out of some serious holes with my OG Droid and other devices more often than I can count.

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
You can use bp tools to push over a clean system. I believe theres a tutorial somewhere that written for bionic. Just replace that with the droid 4 system. I would extract it from one of the stock roms available and push it thru bp tools.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

The Magician Type 0

Oct 11, 2011
Can you link that tutorial? I'm also trying to figure out how to use adb via stock recovery. Thanks!

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
It sounds like OP is going to exchange their phone, but could you really just replace the entire /system folder and have it work? (Nothing special with permissions, etc?)

If so, that is definitely something worth knowing...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1236465
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Can't access safestrap? Stock recovery? Adb services?

Yes i believe so.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2