[Q] Buying M8 Full Retail via Website without Plan - Possible?

Search This thread

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
I have tried, and failed, to figure out how to order the M8 on Verizon's web site without a plan so as to retain my unlimited. I called customer service and that rep couldn't figure it out either. Since the coupon codes only work online, I was wondering if anyone has been successful in ordering a no-contract phone online and it actually processing as no-contract. Even if you click no contract on the order (to get a 599 price), it seems to take you to choose plan, and if you then delete the plan, you delete the phone.

Anyone have with any success?

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I have tried, and failed, to figure out how to order the M8 on Verizon's web site without a plan so as to retain my unlimited. I called customer service and that rep couldn't figure it out either. Since the coupon codes only work online, I was wondering if anyone has been successful in ordering a no-contract phone online and it actually processing as no-contract. Even if you click no contract on the order (to get a 599 price), it seems to take you to choose plan, and if you then delete the plan, you delete the phone.

No

CB620

Jan 6, 2009

anybody on your plan have an upgrade??

I have one coming that I was going to use on T-Mobile. I will charge you what I paid we can go through Swappa or CTO

xShin

Oct 22, 2010
I also tried doing this yesterday, but couldn't figure out how. I ultimately just went to the store lol.. good luck though, hopefully you find a way to do it!

turbosrrgood

It works fine for me. You should get a pop asking whether you want to upgrade or add a device, you want to upgrade since that is the only way you can keep your plan. You will then be taken back to the screen to select whether you want the contract price or non contract price...Continue on and you should be good to go. At the review stage you will see nothing changed regarding your plan (unless you chose to do so). I didn't actually do this because I'm probably just going to swing over to the store and pick one up, however I was one button away from doing so.

Talking to Verizon reps is usually a waste of time. If you are smart enough to have made it to this forum, you surely already know more than they do.

My plan is sweet as F*** by the way, 44.95 for unlimited everything except phone which is 25 cents per minute. Considering I usually use between 15-75 minutes a month it's a steal. Let's see how many decades I can ride this out?

Last edited:

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
Turbos right, you have to click upgrade then select the off contract price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

blap017

Jul 23, 2010
Go to Verizon wireless iconic portal you can order the phone only without service

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using xda app-developers app

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
I've tried three times now to order at full retail to keep my unlimited. When I tell it I want to upgrade it tells me that my unlimited data is no longer available, and I have to choose another data package. This wasn't the case if I recall the last time I got a device at retail so I don't know. I was hoping to order it for pickup so I wouldn't have to stand in line for an hour since most of the stores here seem to have 1-2 employees at any given time, but guess if I want it (and want to pick it up, versus getting shipped), that's about the only option.

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
I've tried three times now to order at full retail to keep my unlimited. When I tell it I want to upgrade it tells me that my unlimited data is no longer available, and I have to choose another data package. This wasn't the case if I recall the last time I got a device at retail so I don't know. I was hoping to order it for pickup so I wouldn't have to stand in line for an hour since most of the stores here seem to have 1-2 employees at any given time, but guess if I want it (and want to pick it up, versus getting shipped), that's about the only option.

When you click upgrade, click the devices name and the options open up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

boxermansr

Jun 26, 2007
El Paso, TX
I've been trying all morning again to order, and it keeps telling me I have to give up unlimited data. I tried to order any other device and THOSE allow me to retain my unlimited, so idk if this is something tied to the M8 or what. I wanted to order it online and use the 50.00 off coupon that was posted here, but now that's not even working.

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
Still Can't

Seconded - it says the M8 is incompatible with the current plan.

turbosrrgood

I don't know what to tell you man, works for me. Maybe certain plans are affected differently. Good luck.

Edit: Are you guys coming from an iPhone by any chance? Some old iPhone plans aren't able to be upgraded if I remember correctly.

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I did the buy one get with another family member who had unlimited account and that one went down to 6gigs. Not sure if that's helpful but I don't doubt that 6 is plenty for most people.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I did the buy one get with another family member who had unlimited account and that one went down to 6gigs. Not sure if that's helpful but I don't doubt that 6 is plenty for most people.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Not for me. Internet choices are very limited here, so my phone has become my modem/router.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It works fine for me. You should get a pop asking whether you want to upgrade or add a device, you want to upgrade since that is the only way you can keep your plan. You will then be taken back to the screen to select whether you want the contract price or non contract price...Continue on and you should be good to go. At the review stage you will see nothing changed regarding your plan (unless you chose to do so). I didn't actually do this because I'm probably just going to swing over to the store and pick one up, however I was one button away from doing so.

Talking to Verizon reps is usually a waste of time. If you are smart enough to have made it to this forum, you surely already know more than they do.

My plan is sweet as F*** by the way, 44.95 for unlimited everything except phone which is 25 cents per minute. Considering I usually use between 15-75 minutes a month it's a steal. Let's see how many decades I can ride this out?
    Yes you can. That's what I did when I bought the M7.. I upgraded my 2gig line and swapped my SIM and I had no problems. Also do the first activation on the 2gig line not the unlimited. I plan on doing this again to get the M8 on my unlimited line. :D

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using xda app-developers app
    ok to be right, i go to store activate m8 on line 1 which will put it on 2 gigs,then just put sim card in line 2 and i will still be unlimited on line 2

Thanks. Have to make sure, unlimited is sacred....lol;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
    Yes..just put the sim in from the unlimited line and you'll be good to go. Some Verizon stores are cool about it and will do the SIM swap for you. Depends on the store. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

corporate stores - SIM cards are free. just tell them what you wanna do

"authorized retailers" or the like - try to charge you for a SIM card. only do this if a corporate store is out of the question